SPEEDO is off/ rear gear ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
SPEEDO is off/ rear gear ???

Hi guys, my speedo is off on my car, when the speedo says 45, actually 40, while it says 80 actually about 70. The RPMs while driving at '80' are 2400. Its an 04 GT convt. Car is new to me, so could the previous owner have the stock gears replaced already? Any help is appreciated
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
May have changed gear ratio without a tuner or recalibration tool.
I dont believe theres a way to know unless you're looking in it
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Stock size wheels and tires?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Either way, nothing a tune can't fix.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
Can't you spin the rear wheels by hand and count the rotations of the drive shaft to determine what gears are installed? One complete rotation of the wheel while counting the how many rotations the drive shaft makes.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
There is a gear check tool on another site that tells you what your rear gears are in reference to the rpm. I know with my 3.73 my rpms in 5th gear is right under 2500. My speed is actually 5 under what my speedo reads.
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Stock tires and rims

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote:

Stock tires and rims
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Like mentioned before, a tuner will fix this. No manual speedo gears above 1998 (?) i think....Either way, find an open straight of highway pulling 75 in 4th (4th gear is 1:1 ratio), the RPMs will essentially tell you what gear ratio you have (eg. ~3300rpm = 3.27s). Is more fun than manually spinning & counting

Hmmm....just noticed there's no mention of transmission type. If ur a manual, the above applies.

FYI, here's that gear check tool 1shot mentioned (props to cliffyk)
PaladinMicro
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
Like mentioned before, a tuner will fix this. No manual speedo gears above 1998 (?) i think....Either way, find an open straight of highway pulling 75 in 4th (4th gear is 1:1 ratio), the RPMs will essentially tell you what gear ratio you have (eg. ~3300rpm = 3.27s). Is more fun than manually spinning & counting

Hmmm....just noticed there's no mention of transmission type. If ur a manual, the above applies.

FYI, here's that gear check tool 1shot mentioned (props to cliffyk)
PaladinMicro
Its an automatic, sorry. Gonna try the tire/driveshaft trick though, thank for the info guys
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Your gear ratio was changed when I did forty it read 80. You need an sct tuner to fix it.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Your gear ratio was changed when I did forty it read 80. You need an sct tuner to fix it.
Got an SCT, amdan gonna help me out, ty
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Np to find out gear ratio lift rear end tape the tire and spin it and how many times the tape crosses the tape on driveshaft that's gear ratio for me I kept loading and reloading gear ratios till my speedo appeared normal lol. I ended up with 4.3s and I think that's what I have
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm having the same problem. My speedo is off by 15. Someone told me it was the fact that I have bigger tires on. I have 55s on the back instead of 40s
shawn.velez36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-s...tool-9410.html

You could also get this.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
Why pay 150 for that when for 300-350 you can get a bama act tuner with tunes for life, change the shift points and tune the engine while resetting the speedo

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

Why pay 150 for that when for 300-350 you can get a bama act tuner with tunes for life, change the shift points and tune the engine while resetting the speedo
Not saying he needs to buy it. Just showing him his options. If he can't spend 379 on a tuner but want it fixed then he can pick up the recal. Everybody should buy a tuner though at some point in time.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not saying he needs to buy it. Just showing him his options. If he can't spend 379 on a tuner but want it fixed then he can pick up the recal. Everybody should buy a tuner though at some point in time.
Yeah I plan on getting a credit card...then it's on like donkey kong lol
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn.velez36 View Post

Yeah I plan on getting a credit card...then it's on like donkey kong lol
Until you meet bowser with the fiery rain of debt o top of you lol
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Until you meet bowser with the fiery rain of debt o top of you lol
Nah bro ill just call on some back up (aka diddy kong)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Running up a credit card to put go fast parts on your car is about the DUMBEST thing you can do and I've seen plenty of ppl do it too...

If all you want to do is recal your speedometer get a speedcal for $75 used on the corral or wherever and save $300 over the bama tuner.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Running up a credit card to put go fast parts on your car is about the DUMBEST thing you can do and I've seen plenty of ppl do it too...

If all you want to do is recal your speedometer get a speedcal for $75 used on the corral or wherever and save $300 over the bama tuner.
Well if your not an idiot about it, it's not dumb. Maybe you know some dumb ppl who can't control themselves, but I can. And I want the tuner anyways, not just to recalibrate the speedometer.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Np to find out gear ratio lift rear end tape the tire and spin it and how many times the tape crosses the tape on driveshaft that's gear ratio for me I kept loading and reloading gear ratios till my speedo appeared normal lol. I ended up with 4.3s and I think that's what I have
Finally had time to do this today, driveshaft spun 3 and three quarters with one full spin of wheel, so I am safe to say I have 3.73 gears? Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate it. I will be calling BAMA Monday and getting new tunes TY

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Got the SCT X3 tuner, I agree, it is a must have
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterzinyou View Post

Finally had time to do this today, driveshaft spun 3 and three quarters with one full spin of wheel, so I am safe to say I have 3.73 gears? Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate it. I will be calling BAMA Monday and getting new tunes TY

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Got the SCT X3 tuner, I agree, it is a must have
Yep. 3.73.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Got my new BAMA tune with 3.73 gears, and my speedo is dead nuts, ty all.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Shoot yeah. Congrats brother. I know u gotta feel better about it.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Shoot yeah. Congrats brother. I know u gotta feel better about it.
Wish I would of found out sooner. Am I safe in assuming with the speedo always reading faster (until now) does the car have more miles on the odometer than in reality?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Hmmm. Lol good question but isn't the distance of a mile the same no matter how fast u get there?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmm. Lol good question but isn't the distance of a mile the same no matter how fast u get there?
LOL, ya I suppose, I am sure someone will know : )
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would like to hear this answer as well. Wonder if the odometer is affected by the speedo.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

I would like to hear this answer as well. Wonder if the odometer is affected by the speedo.
It is.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

It is.
So if my speedo was reading fast, does the car rack up more miles than it is actually driving? F#@&$%g previous owners. My next Stang will be brand new
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

So if my speedo was reading fast, does the car rack up more miles than it is actually driving? F#@&$%g previous owners. My next Stang will be brand new
Yes it racks up mileage haha that's why I fixed mine!
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

Yes it racks up mileage haha that's why I fixed mine!
Right, im all good now.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Exactly. My car is doin that. I have no idea how many miles are actually on it.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn.velez36 View Post

Exactly. My car is doin that. I have no idea how many miles are actually on it.
If you know what mileage the gears were put on the you can get really close in the ballpark of it. Say it's 10 to 15 percent off. You will just do basic math to find it
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

If you know what mileage the gears were put on the you can get really close in the ballpark of it. Say it's 10 to 15 percent off. You will just do basic math to find it
I have no clue when they were put on. The previous owner did it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT