Random clank - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Random clank

So have been having this random clanking type sound in the front end of my car, to describe the clank it sounds almost exactly how your car sounds when you turn it off after a hot run, the clanking of the exhaust cooling down..I hear this when driving in lower gears at lower rpm (car is loud so probably couldn't hear it regardless at higher rpms), any ideas what this could be? chance it could be a throw out bearing? Tie rod? I'm kinda lost as I just thought it was my cats or stock H pipe clanking, but recently switched to an O/R X and its definitely still there. I also notice that right around the throttle body area when I turn the car off it kinda clanks in that area idk if its the TPS or something and maybe that's what I'm hearing? Sounds more like its coming from the driver side front but that could just be me hearing it better out the driver window. Just trying to get a general idea on where to start on this noise. Thanks guys
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Also noticed my driver side steering rack boot is not straight, the other side looks normal, but this has a sag to it almost, no tears or cracks or anything from what I see, if I understand these they are just meant to keep dirt and rocks out so is it fine like this? Or should I grab a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-244199998.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	114580  
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Bump
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,585
That sag is just the way the boot is sitting from the looks of it. As far as a clank... start checking your tie rod end links, swaybar bushings etc... these cars are old now and if you are still running the original stock stuff be prepared for the fun of replacing it all. I'd recommend Delrin bushings or stock rubber ones if you are just driving it. Poly is a big no-no.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That sag is just the way the boot is sitting from the looks of it. As far as a clank... start checking your tie rod end links, swaybar bushings etc... these cars are old now and if you are still running the original stock stuff be prepared for the fun of replacing it all. I'd recommend Delrin bushings or stock rubber ones if you are just driving it. Poly is a big no-no.
Yea I was just talking to my father today about starting all the front end goodies soon...119k miles, what do u suggest I replace front end wise? All stock parts it appears.
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
Lower it. Now. Is the perfect opportunity.

Bumpsteer kit will replace the worn tie rods, +1 on the front susp bushings, maybe a set of X2 balljoints, do CC plates while ur in there too.

Do it once, do it right
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Don't even know where to begin when replacing front end suspension parts...tough job? Should I attempt myself or take it in, I'm sure if I tAke it in, to replace all that I'm sure ill be in the thousand mark range
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Don't even know where to begin when replacing front end suspension parts...tough job? Should I attempt myself or take it in, I'm sure if I tAke it in, to replace all that I'm sure ill be in the thousand mark range
Same boat brother

I've spent quite a bit of time nailing down precisely what i want done, based upon my expectations out of my stang. I'll never drag race it, i enjoy the common-road twisties, and she's my daily. That being said, i read a bunch of input on ME, AFM, MM, and the like...read a whole bunch of wonderful breakdowns put together by Jazzer the Cat (google), had an email exchange with a Steeda staffer, and have found my exact route.

As for installation, I would much rather do it myself (at least, as much as possible). Spring compressors are a free rental from otto/reilly's, I've got a full sae/metric set, sockets, etc so i've got the tools. Having NEVER done this before, sure i have some trepidation but i'd not only prefer to save hundreds of $$, i'd also like to expand my knowledge for WHEN the next problem arises.

Dude, there's a ***** load of how-to's and write-ups and vids, and and and lol I would personally feel kinda sheepish if i at least didnt try

That being said, i wont even fcuk with gears, or alignment...leave that for the pros

Anyways, just my humble .02
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
Same boat brother

I've spent quite a bit of time nailing down precisely what i want done, based upon my expectations out of my stang. I'll never drag race it, i enjoy the common-road twisties, and she's my daily. That being said, i read a bunch of input on ME, AFM, MM, and the like...read a whole bunch of wonderful breakdowns put together by Jazzer the Cat (google), had an email exchange with a Steeda staffer, and have found my exact route.

As for installation, I would much rather do it myself (at least, as much as possible). Spring compressors are a free rental from otto/reilly's, I've got a full sae/metric set, sockets, etc so i've got the tools. Having NEVER done this before, sure i have some trepidation but i'd not only prefer to save hundreds of $$, i'd also like to expand my knowledge for WHEN the next problem arises.

Dude, there's a ***** load of how-to's and write-ups and vids, and and and lol I would personally feel kinda sheepish if i at least didnt try

That being said, i wont even fcuk with gears, or alignment...leave that for the pros

Anyways, just my humble .02
Awesome thanks man, looks like ill be doing some research the next week or so and get together a list and just do it haha, easier said that done but I got the tools, the Internet, and a Haynes manual lol...but back to the clanking noisie, I noticed it happening randomly today at idle! So wouldn't that rule out most front end susp bushings and parts since nothing is moving down there at idle? Idk man it's realllllly starting to bother me tho, could it be something under the hood? Any heard of problems of random click/clank type noise under the hood? I keep going back to my throw out bearing but car shifts like butter all the way through redline...
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Like I said it sounds similar to the clank sound that cars give off when there shut off and sitting after a long drive (that exhaust cooling down sound)..only I hear it when driving, and sitting at idle, I thought o/r x would rid the sound, no luck...don't get it
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Bump
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
There could be any number of things causing this odd noise, from bushings to motor mounts, ball joints to shocks/struts, hell even a hot engine could be the culprit. Whats especially curious is the noise at idle now too. I presume "idle" means engine on and car at a complete stop, not idle as in coasting down the road in neutral. If the car is immobile and the clanking still happens, in my VERY non-expert opinion this could be an overheating issue (like a bad thermostat trying to open), but i reserve the right to be grotesquely wrong lol.

I found a couple generic articles about the noise oddities, this may help narrow down your search and eventual parts replacement:
How to Repair a Car Making a Clunking Noise - 2CarPros
How to Repair a Car Popping Noise - 2CarPros

hth
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
There could be any number of things causing this odd noise, from bushings to motor mounts, ball joints to shocks/struts, hell even a hot engine could be the culprit. Whats especially curious is the noise at idle now too. I presume "idle" means engine on and car at a complete stop, not idle as in coasting down the road in neutral. If the car is immobile and the clanking still happens, in my VERY non-expert opinion this could be an overheating issue (like a bad thermostat trying to open), but i reserve the right to be grotesquely wrong lol.

I found a couple generic articles about the noise oddities, this may help narrow down your search and eventual parts replacement:
How to Repair a Car Making a Clunking Noise - 2CarPros
How to Repair a Car Popping Noise - 2CarPros

hth
Hmmm car never seems to overheat, temp gauge always stays in middle of c and h when up to temp, idk but its really getting to me man, yes it's at a complete stop, in neutral, and you can hear it randomly click or clank just once every minute or so....fan relay maybe? Idk I'm lost I hate this hahahaha
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
Just for *****s and giggles, have otto/reillys do a batt/alt test...



Frikkin hate those elusive issues. Side note: i fix tech for a living, and some days those WTF problems will not go away, and i swear i wanna slam em on the floor!

I feel ya NJ, just dunno where to accurately start
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
Just for *****s and giggles, have otto/reillys do a batt/alt test...



Frikkin hate those elusive issues. Side note: i fix tech for a living, and some days those WTF problems will not go away, and i swear i wanna slam em on the floor!

I feel ya NJ, just dunno where to accurately start
Yea ill get a test done asap...When I pop the hood it almost sounds like its coming from the throttle body area, anything in that general area heard of making a random click/clank?
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
IAC is nearby.

Is the noise random enough that it repeats in a timely fashion? As in, you can put a stethoscope (or long handled screwdriver) to your ear and listen around to follow the noise.

EDIT: EGR is right there too. I just dont see the noise emanating from either, but please see my sig on that lol
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
IAC is nearby.

Is the noise random enough that it repeats in a timely fashion? As in, you can put a stethoscope (or long handled screwdriver) to your ear and listen around to follow the noise.

EDIT: EGR is right there too. I just dont see the noise emanating from either, but please see my sig on that lol
No timely fashion just randomly happens, sometimes ill hear it 10 times in 5 minutes, sometimes just once or twice in 20 minutes, seems every time I get under the car or under the hood to wait for the noise it just doesn't come..but last night I had to visit my buddy, when I pulled up I just left it in neutral and turned on in his driveway as we talked for a few minutes, when I heard it I was like you hear that **** its pissing me off what is it? He was like "idk but Kyles (his other friend) new 5.0 seems to do that from time to time and I'm pretty sure my dads old f150 had it hear and there, pretty sure it's a ford thing, sounds like its coming from the exhaust" I told him I thought the same thing but its just weird for the exhaust to randomly make that noise when it's up to temp and just sitting there at idle...ARGHHHHHHH lol
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
"...pretty sure it's a ford thing, sounds like its coming from the exhaust" I told him I thought the same thing but its just weird for the exhaust to randomly make that noise when it's up to temp and just sitting there at idle
Bad cats?

I am of the mindset that if it aint moving, it's not mechanical. Which leaves electrical or thermal, imho.

Understand, I only wish to help and my knowledge and experiences are currently very limited. I believe this to be a healthy exercise into troubleshooting and isolating the failure. Problem is, collectively you know jack, and i know *****
Together we are dangerous lol

I fear I am blindly tossing darts....
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post

Bad cats?

I am of the mindset that if it aint moving, it's not mechanical. Which leaves electrical or thermal, imho.

Understand, I only wish to help and my knowledge and experiences are currently very limited. I believe this to be a healthy exercise into troubleshooting and isolating the failure. Problem is, collectively you know jack, and i know *****
Together we are dangerous lol

I fear I am blindly tossing darts....
o/r x pipe so no cats here ... That's what I'm figuring , electrical or thermal, just don't wanna start tossing money away at new parts without atleast going through process of elimination the best I can..when I get home today I'm gonna start her up and just wait for the noise, my luck ill be standing there waiting for 30 min and the second I get in it CLANK lol
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
LOL got so wrapped up in this, forgot you mentioned the no cats bit right off the bat

I still think the batt/alt test would be a good no-cost start. Where she goes from there.....
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
LOL got so wrapped up in this, forgot you mentioned the no cats bit right off the bat

I still think the batt/alt test would be a good no-cost start. Where she goes from there.....
Can't you test batt and alt at home? I have a fluke multi meter.
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
H.Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Region: Australia
Posts: 267
Ive got the same multimeter, but it only will read ur volts. I literally replaced my alternator a couple weeks ago and i was getting a normal volt reading before. Those store testers can get a little more in-depth and give you a more accurate yay/nay. Pulling them and bench testing is most accurate. Did that with my new alt prior to install to make sure i wasn't duplicating my efforts lol.
__________________
No work and no pony makes Doof a dull boy...
H.Doofenshmirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Hmmmm possible a/c compressor? Been reading a lot about intermittent click problems with a/c compressor on some mustangs, hmm but it seems to do it with a/c off...I do know last year a/c freon was running a tad low, hopefully that's it, that'd be nice haha
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
When you heard the noise at your friends house did it move?

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Or you could go push down in your fenders to make the suspension move a bit and see if it makes a noise or crawl under with a pry bar and start trying to move things
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
When you heard the noise at your friends house did it move?

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Or you could go push down in your fenders to make the suspension move a bit and see if it makes a noise or crawl under with a pry bar and start trying to move things
No at friends house it was in neutral with e brake on and probably heard the random single quick click like 4 times in the 10 minutes I was there...I just don't see how it could be any suspension parts when it's completely stationary... I feel like it might be my a/c compressor or something but the click happens when the a/c and the defrosters are OFF! How could the compressor click like that with it off? I did notice today when I got home trying to figure it out, when I started it up I heard the click after like 2 minutes and a few more times in the next 15 min, than I turned my a/c on and off probably 10 times just to listen to see if that was it, every time I turned it on I did hear the click that sounds similar to the click/clank problem I have, but I understand with the compressors it's completely normal for them to click when you turn it on and off, but could anything cause it to click when it's OFF? Now after I turned the a/c on and off about 10 times, I turned it off to wait for the noise again, but the click/clank noise wouldn't return for the 10 minutes while I was sitting waiting for it...coincidence? Or is it because I turned the compressor on and off a good few times? So confused, and annoyed lol...I don't want to bring it to a mechanic cuz I feel they'll just replacing things hoping it fixes it, rather at least bring down the list of culprits before I do any of that..
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
bump...could it be something with the exhaust? but if so its a bit odd because the noise was there with stock H pipe, after o/r x install its still there...doubt its the lm1 catback as it sounds more up front..hmmm fishin lol
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:57 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.