Superchargers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Sure this has been answered a thousand times but i cant find much on low hp builds with the vortech v3. I just want like 360-400hp and was thinking about trying to get the complete kit with injectors,fuel pump and bypass valve. Most threads seem to be for the most power and i just want it reliable because it will be my daily driver for years to come. Im wondering if i would need anything else to safely run that much hp? and how much roughly does a dyno tune typically run? Also is it reliable or should i just not bother with spending 4000$ for more problems down the road. Thanks for any input! Oh and keep in mind this is the non innercooler kit.
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post
Sure this has been answered a thousand times but i cant find much on low hp builds with the vortech v3. I just want like 360-400hp and was thinking about trying to get the complete kit with injectors,fuel pump and bypass valve. Most threads seem to be for the most power and i just want it reliable because it will be my daily driver for years to come. Im wondering if i would need anything else to safely run that much hp? and how much roughly does a dyno tune typically run? Also is it reliable or should i just not bother with spending 4000$ for more problems down the road. Thanks for any input! Oh and keep in mind this is the non innercooler kit.
Ok if you plan on jut putting on the stock bottom end it'll "maintain" to about 400-425 hp some people get lucky and have a good engine and some don't its all a Russian roulette. You'll have people tell you they've ran a supercharger on a stock engine for years no prob and some other have the opposite. At the least I'd buy upgraded fuel injectors and fuel pump to handle the extra hp. I personally don't know about the included fuel management from them but I'd rather do it right, but in the end it's all your call and for a dyno run to tune your vehicle expect about $600+ depending one difficulty to dial in your tune and all
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Having the right (professional dyno) tune is going to play a huge role in how long your stock motor lasts. I wouldn't bet against the supplied injectors and pump from Vortech, but I'd consider it necessary to find the best tuner in your area and fork out the money for a real-deal tune.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
67mustang97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Vermont
Posts: 645
I had full bolt ons with methanol and a V3 it made 356 rwhp
__________________


02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Having the right (professional dyno) tune is going to play a huge role in how long your stock motor lasts. I wouldn't bet against the supplied injectors and pump from Vortech, but I'd consider it necessary to find the best tuner in your area and fork out the money for a real-deal tune.
Like I said I've had no real experience with their fuel management so I don't know if they are good or not
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
I had full bolt ons with methanol and a V3 it made 356 rwhp
What psi were you running?

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Okay so what if i ran like 360hp? Would that be safe do you think?
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post

What psi were you running?

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Okay so what if i ran like 360hp? Would that be safe do you think?
360 would seem like a safe number for a stock engine and like someone said the tune is the number one factor you need to ensure reliability
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
67mustang97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Vermont
Posts: 645
10 psi with a safe 93 octane tune.
__________________


02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post

360 would seem like a safe number for a stock engine and like someone said the tune is the number one factor you need to ensure reliability
Oh okay and yeah ive been researching the midwest and it seems like a guy up by kansas city is the best here just going off hear say. If you guys got any others you would reccomend in missouri or just outside i would appreciate it. Trying to figure out if i want to gamble 4000$ haha its a bigger thing than i thought it would be.
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post

Oh okay and yeah ive been researching the midwest and it seems like a guy up by kansas city is the best here just going off hear say. If you guys got any others you would reccomend in missouri or just outside i would appreciate it. Trying to figure out if i want to gamble 4000$ haha its a bigger thing than i thought it would be.
Yeah I started diving into the FI world and drew up a build list for the future. Right now I'm running about $18-20K. But that includes engine,fuel,suspension,brakes, and transmission.
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post

Yeah I started diving into the FI world and drew up a build list for the future. Right now I'm running about $18-20K. But that includes engine,fuel,suspension,brakes, and transmission.
Thats so much! But it would be a perfect car and awesome, im just looking for cheap hp but not to much where i have to change a ton of stuff.
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post

Thats so much! But it would be a perfect car and awesome, im just looking for cheap hp but not to much where i have to change a ton of stuff.
Also looks like they come with 38lb injectors but doesnt say about the pump.
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post

Thats so much! But it would be a perfect car and awesome, im just looking for cheap hp but not to much where i have to change a ton of stuff.
Yeah it will be perfect for me but yeah I'm not sure about the pump that comes with the kit
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
From what I've been talking to people about my procharger kit...it's best to have 42lb injectors (100-150used) 255lph fuel pump at least....300 to be safe. And a 90mm lightning maf. Get the v3 put all that on and tune it
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
From what I've been talking to people about my procharger kit...it's best to have 42lb injectors (100-150used) 255lph fuel pump at least....300 to be safe. And a 90mm lightning maf. Get the v3 put all that on and tune it
Ah okay, seems like everyone gets the lightning maf must be good.
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
67mustang97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Vermont
Posts: 645
Once you install the lightning maf you need to ad a air intake temp sensor. You'll need to cut 2 wires on the factory harness I think they are the 2 outside wires but double check me because it's been a few years since I did it.
__________________


02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
Once you install the lightning maf you need to ad a air intake temp sensor. You'll need to cut 2 wires on the factory harness I think they are the 2 outside wires but double check me because it's been a few years since I did it.
Thanks for the input man still deciding if i should do it or not haha.
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
Once you install the lightning maf you need to ad a air intake temp sensor. You'll need to cut 2 wires on the factory harness I think they are the 2 outside wires but double check me because it's been a few years since I did it.
What about the SCT MAF??? Do they require the same cutting an splicing??
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
All in the tune
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post

Ah okay, seems like everyone gets the lightning maf must be good.
If you can afford it get the slot style maf and the tube to hold it. I forget the brand. But it's like 300$ for the combo. That will allow for future power if you want to crank it up. The lightning maf will do you good though if you don't want massive hp.
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
67mustang97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Vermont
Posts: 645
I didn't have a sensor when I got my car tuned so he gave me 2 tunes one without the sensor to keep my engine light off and a tune for when I got a sensor. The sensor is in the stock maf and the lightning maf doesn't have it not sure about the SCT.
__________________


02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Yeah i would be okay with like 360rwhp considering im running almost bone stock on performance upgrades need to get exhaust first for sure. Sure that would be a pretty big difference in power haha but you always want more!
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
67mustang97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Vermont
Posts: 645
Headers off road H or X pipe with a cat back system. CAI pulleys and a tune will get you about 250-260 rwhp. So you car will make right around 300 crank hp.
Ad a V3 and the kit will give you about 10 rwhp per pound of boost. With the stock pulley mine put out 10 psi. If you get a V3 buy a Anderson Power Pipe the stuff that comes with the kit sucks. Also upgrade to a 75mm T Body or bigger with a plenum to match. Ad some cams and a boost a pump to this and you'll be right around 400-410 rwhp. I'm running a Snow methanol kit I don't think I'd do it again the boost juice gets expensive and you go through it quicker than you'd think.
__________________


02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
Headers off road H or X pipe with a cat back system. CAI pulleys and a tune will get you about 250-260 rwhp. So you car will make right around 300 crank hp.
Ad a V3 and the kit will give you about 10 rwhp per pound of boost. With the stock pulley mine put out 10 psi. If you get a V3 buy a Anderson Power Pipe the stuff that comes with the kit sucks. Also upgrade to a 75mm T Body or bigger with a plenum to match. Ad some cams and a boost a pump to this and you'll be right around 400-410 rwhp. I'm running a Snow methanol kit I don't think I'd do it again the boost juice gets expensive and you go through it quicker than you'd think.
Wont the cai be obsolete? Since when you get a blower it wont fit? And yeah ill probably do magnapacks or lm2 with o/r x and then go for the v3 and wait on the other stuff 360rwhp will be good and then if i want more it will just add faster. And whats the power pipe?

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
Headers off road H or X pipe with a cat back system. CAI pulleys and a tune will get you about 250-260 rwhp. So you car will make right around 300 crank hp.
Ad a V3 and the kit will give you about 10 rwhp per pound of boost. With the stock pulley mine put out 10 psi. If you get a V3 buy a Anderson Power Pipe the stuff that comes with the kit sucks. Also upgrade to a 75mm T Body or bigger with a plenum to match. Ad some cams and a boost a pump to this and you'll be right around 400-410 rwhp. I'm running a Snow methanol kit I don't think I'd do it again the boost juice gets expensive and you go through it quicker than you'd think.
Oh and the supplied injectors and maf and pump were those good enough or did you upgrade to what everyone else gets?
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
67mustang97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Vermont
Posts: 645
The cai will be obsolete I just built my car in stages. The air inlet pipe that comes with the kit is cheap looking and undersized imo. http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...Induction.html

I still have the injectors that came with the kit but at around 360 rwhp your fuel system will be maxed out. I installed a Kenne Bell boost a pump to solve this problem.
Boost-A-Pump
__________________


02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
If you still have the stock fuel pump, the boost a pump and stock pump will max at 360 it's best to switch to a walboro 255lph or a Lincoln avaitior 285-315 LPH pump and use the boost a pump as a safety device just to insure you have enough fuel on the top end, stock fuel pump and boost a pump = crap!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
So basically instead of getting a new fuel pump you can get a boost a pump to get more flow?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Oh okay just saw your comment about the pump hmmm just more and more expenses it seems haha....
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
With a stock fuel pump and boost a pump set up you will be maxing the pump out at all times and it won't supply enough fuel on the top end , Kenne bell designed it to be used with a stock pump but it truly isn't efficent, your best bet is to upgrade the pump and use the boost a pump as a safety device it cost more but it's worth it in the end
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Warbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
With a stock fuel pump and boost a pump set up you will be maxing the pump out at all times and it won't supply enough fuel on the top end , Kenne bell designed it to be used with a stock pump but it truly isn't efficent, your best bet is to upgrade the pump and use the boost a pump as a safety device it cost more but it's worth it in the end
Oh okay gotcha, probably would be more cost effective to get the tuner kit maybe and buy injectors and fuel pump + boost a pump and maf then get a tune.
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post

Oh okay gotcha, probably would be more cost effective to get the tuner kit maybe and buy injectors and fuel pump + boost a pump and maf then get a tune.
+10000
I'd buy just the tuner kit and piece the fuel management system together yourself and all and have peace of mind
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
67mustang97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Vermont
Posts: 645
I think the kit comes with the equivalent of a SVT Focus pump.
__________________


02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post
So basically instead of getting a new fuel pump you can get a boost a pump to get more flow?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Oh okay just saw your comment about the pump hmmm just more and more expenses it seems haha....
Boost a pump should be used as a safety, not a fuel supply
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:31 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.