Wheel bearing change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Wheel bearing change

Need a little help with a bearing change. My driver side rear axle seal was leaking and I have been hearing noises from the back if the car, so, I decided to change the seals and bearings. Might as well change them in both sides.

The driver side seal is stuck. Any hints on how to tear the thing out. I'm wondering if that bearing is melted onto the rear end.

I can't find a C-Clip on the driver side axle to remove to withdraw the axle. The axle end has a 'flange' on it preventing the axle from moving thru the tube. How do you take out the driver side axle?

Btw, to get to the c-clip, I had to remove the speed sensors. The sensor is held on by one screw. It's an easy task once you figure out that something is preventing the axle from moving inside enough for you to get to the c-clip.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Correction. The passenger side seal is stuck.
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Just a few notes on this "6-hr project" that took me three weeks. Ha.

I was wondering why my brake pedal pulsed when I applied the brake while driving in reverse. I, now, know that was because I had a bad axle. The left-side bearings had eaten into the axle. So, I replaced the axle.

My wheel seals and bearing were very difficult to pull out. It took a lot of effort and the right tool. I got the bearing tool for free at AutoZone. I paid for the tool and was fully reimbursed after returning it. The seal and bearings were easy to reinstall. I ran a magnet into both tubes for an hour to remove metal fragments.

The root problem I had was a partially broken s-spring in the differential. When that broke, the left c-clip fell out and was crushed into numerous pieces in the gears. Most of the pieces were either in the diff or in the left side tube. Pieces got into the left side bearing and the seal. Actually, the c-clip could have broken causing the s-spring to break, who knows. It is good that very few of these s-springs fail as very few Ford dealerships carry them. There is a big aftermarket supply for the piece, FYI.

If you need help on how to remove and install the s-spring fairly easily just PM me. There is a way to reduce that pain. The old broken s-spring was easy to remove. The new s-spring certainly had a lot of spring! You need a vice. Needle nose vice-grips can help, but are not neccesary.

The spider gears fell out as I was removing the s-spring. They were not too hard to reinstall. I installed the s-spring after reinstalling the spider gears. Surprisingly, the spider gears stayed put.

It is amazing the left axle did not seperate from the car. The c-clip holds the axle in the rear end and that part was missing. There was a little wear on the pin in the differential where the axle mushroom.

Overall. I am still glad I have a Mustang and won't sarcastically call it a Cus-tang, any more. Most of my car-time the past few weeks had to do with figuring out how to do these tasks. Actually doing the tasks did not take much time. My brother helped pull and install seals and bearings and diagnose my root failed parts. The car is a lot quieter, now. I guess I need a louder muffler!!!!
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT