Anti freeze leaking on feet - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #1

Region: New York
Anti freeze leaking on feet

Ok guys I have a 2000 gt 12x,xxx miles

Engine replaced 4000 ago
Heater core went out dumped all antifreeze and warped the heads,
Had the heads fixed (both)
And ford replaced the heater core
I have noticed anti freeze coming from the vents and a small drip here and there while driving.

Could it be the heater core was not put in properly or what.

I don't want to rip the dash out for no reason cause it seems like a real b*tch
Patrickandberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Youre right about the ***** part but that is the only place antifreeze can leak from inside your car
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #3

I read about it leaking from the passenger side but nothing about the drivers side. Is there a hose or something running on the drivers side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickandberry View Post

Engine replaced 4000 ago
I have noticed anti freeze coming from the vents and a small drip here and there while driving.

Heater core bad
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Take it back to wherever you had it fixed and let it be their problem. I'm sure you got some form of a warranty on parts and labor.
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #6

heres the problem, ford in NC replaced the heater core ($573.74) then i had is shipped to NY (dads house) while i was deployed. he fixed the engine. all this was January 4, 2011
the car then had 121718,
today it has 122,xxx
so in the 2 and a half years it only drove about 1000 miles. do you think ford will still cover this BS
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
heres the problem, ford in NC replaced the heater core ($573.74) then i had is shipped to NY (dads house) while i was deployed. he fixed the engine. all this was January 4, 2011
the car then had 121718,
today it has 122,xxx
so in the 2 and a half years it only drove about 1000 miles. do you think ford will still cover this BS
What's the warranty say
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

it says nothing about the warranty
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I doubt Ford will warranty anything in this situation. Most of the time they have a certain time frame or mileage (whichever comes first) on parts and labor. However, you can always call up and talk to the Service Manager and see if he can do anything for you, especially being that you were deployed.
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had Ford do a service repair on my ac compressor. Warranty was for 12 month / 12,000 miles. That's probably what they warrantied yours for
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #11

So my pops check out my car and said ford never replaced my heater core. He said no way it could already be Corroded. So Monday ill call ford and see what the deal it. No way in hell I'm going the shell out another 500 to have it replaces again
Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its honestly not that hard to pull a dash to get to it and the part itself is cheap. Easily done in an afternoon. I swapped an entire interior starting at 11am and ending at 7pm and this included trimming new TMI carpet. Just a dash is an hour out and an hour in if you've done it before.

With that said... even if your pops is right about them not having done it, if its 12+ months later I really doubt they are going to warranty it. If you need a detailed walkthrough about the dash let me know. It literally is just removing the center console, remove the radio/bezel, remove the cluster, unbolt the steering column and lower it, unplug airbag/trunk switch, remove the hvac controls, then its about all of 12 bolts that are all easy to get at and it lifts right out. Just gotta make sure you get all the plugs detached which is easy enough.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #13

Hey if you got it ill take it, like others say I doubt ford will fix this. On the receipt they checked 20 hours to replace the heater core.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Dash is easy to remover. First time I took mine off it took me a whole night to figure it out and the next two nights to actually remove it. I just took another one out an it took me a little less than an hour just a couple of bolts and unplug the harness
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #15

Well I contacted ford, but they say its nothing they can do. I figured since the car had less than 1000 miles they would help in some kind of way. I won't blame ford entirely. I blame that Particular dealership for Ripping off Marines. I guess I'll take the dash out and do it myself. All help and pointers will be appreciated.
Thanks guys
Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

Well I finally got around to removing the heater core, it was back, leaking all over the place. I contacted the company found it was a replacement. I just don't get why it would break with only 1000 miles on it ( yes I said 1000) I basically paid ford 600 bucks for nothing. I have found this flow restrictor I put in to limit the pressure. Has anyone heard of this?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd just get a new core and re-install. Run the engine with the heat at full blast before you put everything back together and make sure its kosher. You should not need any sort of restrictor or anything for it to work ok.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #18

I read and been told by late model resto the restrictor limits the amount of flow which help from the heater core. It needs something cause it went out at 110'000 mile and 111,000.

Is there any special procedure after I install the heater core to make sure it's working right. I heard you need to bleed the lines.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

You need to burp the system whenever you do anything to the cooling system. The first one went out at 110 because of age probably. The new one was probably just a **** unit. Like I said a good one should not need any sort of special stuff but it suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #20

What does burp mean?

Yes I agree the first was age, and I think the second was just bad luck. I bought a new one from lmr should be here Wednesday.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol I think you are like the 8th person I've told to burp the coolant system this week... must be a full moon or something haha. Google/youtube it. Basically you are just getting the air out of the system. Car running, rad cap off, keep adding coolant till it is full and start squeezing the big line coming from the tstat housing. It'll "burp" air out of the rad cap and you keep adding coolant. Eventually the tstat will open and suck a bunch of coolant into the system and you keep on adding till its full and burped.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #22

Here are a few pics, one stupid mistake I made was to leave the window down, then when I was done I could roll the window up (disconnected a bunch of stuff) and it decided to rain. Now I have a tarp over the car (nice and ghetto). Maybe the antifreeze smell will leave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1360773894.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	124243   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2166096477.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	124244  

Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #23

I figured that's what you ment. I have done that before on my dads truck. Thanks for the info tho
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Well I contacted ford, but they say its nothing they can do. I figured since the car had less than 1000 miles they would help in some kind of way. I won't blame ford entirely. I blame that Particular dealership for Ripping off Marines. I guess I'll take the dash out and do it myself. All help and pointers will be appreciated.
Thanks guys
I doubt their is this big conspiracy against Marines. Ford shouldn't be responsible, they didn't let it sit for two and one-half years. You got a "life lesson" and fortunately it didn't cost that much and no one was hurt.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

I doubt their is this big conspiracy against Marines. Ford shouldn't be responsible, they didn't let it sit for two and one-half years. You got a "life lesson" and fortunately it didn't cost that much and no one was hurt.
I'm not saying there is a conspiracy against marines, but many businesses do take advantage of them. Most marines are very young and fresh out of training they have a large paycheck. The company's know this and do their best to sucker them in. Don't believe me live in a military town for 15 days and you will find this out.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I'm not saying there is a conspiracy against marines, but many businesses do take advantage of them. Most marines are very young and fresh out of training they have a large paycheck. The company's know this and do their best to sucker them in. Don't believe me live in a military town for 15 days and you will find this out.
Not a big paycheck per se but ALL disposable income as they live in the dorms/barracks and eat for free at the chow hall. All they have to worry about is gas/insurance if they have a car and then maybe cell phone and cable/internet. If no car payment that leaves around $1k per month to play with which is honestly not good for a 18 yr old who often comes out of poverty with no financial role models to look up to and no experience with handling money.

There used to be a HUGE problem with predatory lending around military bases. Every 2 feet you'd see a payday/title lender around a base. Thankfully it became illegal for military personnel to use them and it was drilled into the heads of new arrivals. Finance even setup a payday lending style service at 0% for awhile. Soon enough all the payday lenders either moved or went under.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Not a big paycheck per se but ALL disposable income as they live in the dorms/barracks and eat for free at the chow hall. All they have to worry about is gas/insurance if they have a car and then maybe cell phone and cable/internet. If no car payment that leaves around $1k per month to play with which is honestly not good for a 18 yr old who often comes out of poverty with no financial role models to look up to and no experience with handling money.

There used to be a HUGE problem with predatory lending around military bases. Every 2 feet you'd see a payday/title lender around a base. Thankfully it became illegal for military personnel to use them and it was drilled into the heads of new arrivals. Finance even setup a payday lending style service at 0% for awhile. Soon enough all the payday lenders either moved or went under.
Ahh, those were the days. Back when I joined, cell phones were not big like they are today, so only bills I had was cable (split with my barracks roommates), phone (old school land line), and my car. However, pay wasn't like it is now, I think base pay for an e-2/e-3 was like $900 a month tops...but gas was also only $.67/gal too.
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

I got $1100/mo when I was an E-2 back in 2001-2002. Was actually in Basic Training for 9/11... thought they were ****ing with us... yeah... anyway... I had a cell phone but it was $40/mo. Cable/internet was $80, car was $120, insurance was $100. Gas was $.99/gallon then too and I never really drove anywhere more than 10-15 minutes at most so figure another $50/mo for gas. Left me with $700/mo to do whatever with. Figure with all that there is now as far as cell phone payments and how expensive premium TV is and the pay difference today its still probably the same $700-$1000 per month if the kid is smart. Which leads me back to a young 18 yr old kid who half the time comes from poverty and has no clue how to manage the money. To them $700/mo extra with no worry about food/housing all of a sudden is like being Bill Gates. But they aren't and they have no idea how fast you can spend money on stuff and then there goes the credit card and moving in with other young guys when they finally get BAH to make a car payment and then they get in a fight and one moves out and all of a sudden they can't pay for all their bills etc... Ah, yeah... I've got a few peaches I've supervised in the past...

And getting back on topic, that money usually goes into the car. And they usually know dick about cars so its usually whatever they got handed down to them or something out of FATF. Like I said in an earlier post, if you want to see a whole parking lot full of rice and tastelessly modified vehicles go visit a military dorm/barracks. You'll also hear the dumbest car stuff in the world.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Engine replaced 4000 ago

It's the heater core , it's no good ..
I know I had the same problem and replaced mine in the GT
Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

It's the heater core , it's no good ..
I know I had the same problem and replaced mine in the GT
Yea I got it pulled out, it's leaking all over, ordered a new one should be here Wednesday.
Thanks man
Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. Heater core was the first thing that I had to do on my Bullitt. I didn't think that it was that easy, but, I'd rather pull the engine out than do that kind of stuff. Anyways, try to clean everything as well as possible. The antifreeze soaks into the foam gaskets on the heater box and under the dash. I went ahead and replaced my carpet. Even after cleaning the heater box as best that I could, there was still the odor of antifreeze for months when using the heater. When you refill the system, after all of the "fun" is over, fill it with distilled water only and let it run till it warms up and drain the system. Then refill with your favorite antifreeze mixture. Hopefully, this will flush the system and give the new core a fighting chance. Hard water with a lot of minerals is hell on aluminum. Except in emergencies, you should NEVER use tap water in a cooling system. Use only distilled water.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #32

Well that may be one of the issues here, I have well water, and its about as hard as concrete. I'm going to do what you said and hope it makes it this time. I would rather pull the heater core than engine any day, it takes about an hour when you have help. I just replaced my carpet so I guess I'll do it again. Do you think if intake it out and pressure wash it, the smell will go away?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yep. It's the well water. I'm embarrassed to tell you how many aluminum radiators that it took me to figure that out. Lol. Yeah. Take the carpet out and hose it off real good. I replaced mine because the previous owner wore heels and it was getting pretty torn up.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #34

Wow, I guess we learn something new everyday. I don't get why ford made it such a bit*h to get the core out. Like who thought it would be a good idea to say... Well guys lets make them completely rip apart their car to replace a 50 dollar part.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. My thoughts exactly. You might want to flush distilled water through a couple of times. Good luck with this one!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT