Strange tranny / drivetrain noises - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Strange tranny / drivetrain noises

Hey guys, I've tried the search function to no avail. And I just want to know what is broke. When driving (in any gear) I hear a strange rattle/chatter noise from what sounds like the tranny. But I believe it's not the motor because when it's in neutral and/or the clutch pedal is depressed I can rev it up to redline and there is no noise so it only does it while in gear and under load. I don't know what to do but it's driving me crazy. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Probably clutch chatter since it only occurs under load.
Have you recently replaced the clutch/flywheel?
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It's a ram clutch with less than 5000 miles on it and the flywheel is stock just had it resurfaced when I had the clutch swap done. What would be causing the chatter?
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

There's your problem. RAM clutches are cheap for a reason. Google will autocomplete RAM HDX clutch with "chatter". They're that bad.
I'm not saying all RAM clutches are crap because that's unfounded and unnecessary, but it's a common problem.
That's why OEM (Valeo in this case) is always the best bet.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well then it would seem that I wasted a bit of money cuz I'm not even happy with how it performs either ok well if I'm going to do another clutch I'm thinking about going with the exedy stage 2 w/flywheel. has anyone tried these they have good reviews but I don't want to waste more money but I'm looking for a bit more bite than oem.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar View Post
Well then it would seem that I wasted a bit of money cuz I'm not even happy with how it performs either ok well if I'm going to do another clutch I'm thinking about going with the exedy stage 2 w/flywheel. has anyone tried these they have good reviews but I don't want to waste more money but I'm looking for a bit more bite than oem.
You don't need anything more than an OEM cobra clutch. That's what I have and it will hold more power than I could ever make. Plus, it's cheap and grabs like a bear trap.
Exedy is amazing if you want to get one though.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sounds good thank you. I really appreciate the help!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to hear you didn't like the clutch.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's ok, shoulda just sprung for the good stuff in the first place xD. Oh well lesson learned
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Fidanza makes excellent aluminum (which you definitely want) flywheels for the record. Centerforce's Dual Friction clutch is also great!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Fidanza makes excellent aluminum (which you definitely want) flywheels for the record. Centerforce's Dual Friction clutch is also great!
Yeah the exedy is an aluminum flywheel too so I'll probably just get the set
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have the exedy stage 2 and the exedy billet steel flywheel. A little chatter in the 1-2 shift, but nothing to bad. Grabs hard and pedal feel not to much of from stock. I like it.
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
I have the exedy stage 2 and the exedy billet steel flywheel. A little chatter in the 1-2 shift, but nothing to bad. Grabs hard and pedal feel not to much of from stock. I like it.
Sweet I would be getting the lightweight aluminum fly wheel and the stage 2 from AM. I'm glad to hear they make a good product though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT