Another Idle Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Another Idle Question

Hey everyone, i have a 01 GT has a CAI but everything else is stock. She has 75,000 miles on her. Since i bought the car a little less than a year ago i noticed and odd idle once the car warmed up. It likes to idle at about 800 rpm (Later today i am going to hook up my scan tool and get a real rpm reading) None the less once the car is warmed up at an idle it seems to drop in rpm a bit causing a rough idle. This happens while sitting at an idle every 30 sec or so. I would say almost a 100 rpm drop or less. I have changed the plugs, fuel filter, cleaned and re oiled my air filter. Now this is what i think it is, I think it may be a bad / clogged cat. I went to get something out of my trunk the other day while the car was idling and warmed up, and the exhaust temp coming from the tail pipe was not only hotter than any vehicle I have ever seen but also did not smell right. Not sure how to explain it but wasn't normal ( Just plain stunk) I appreciate everyone's help and input!

Oh and the car has no codes coming up.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A giveaway for a clogged cat is a bad smell kind of like a skunk so that could be it and any idle problems I'd also check your IAC (idle air control) and clean it or replace it
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Region: Arkansas
Try looking for a vacuum leak. That wa the problem with mine. A common place is the PCV elbow. A good feel of your vacuum lines while the car is running may prove successful.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Not sure about the hotter exhaust temps though. I would never think to check something like that. Could be that your car is just idles high and causing a little higher temps than a normal idling car.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I will try those things before going for big ticket items. Thanks guys I appreciate it. I will let you know how I make out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT