Oil Pump gone bad, need to rebuild/replace engine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Angry Oil Pump gone bad, need to rebuild/replace engine?

Hi there, about a 3 days ago I was driving home on the highway doing about 70 mph, it was 2 am so I had open road. After accelerating a bit
my car jerked I didn't think much of it as it just happened once and it stopped quickly. I had the top down so I was looking around and when
I looked at my dash the oil pressure guage was completely dead. I hate to say it but I must have driven at least 5 mins before I noticed. As I
was pulling over my car started making knocking noises. One I completely stopped I checked the car and it was not leaking oil. I started the car
and the knocking noises started, so I shut it off right away. I then had a buddy tow me home. I've had to work so I'm finally getting a mechanic
to come check it out later today. This is a bad oil pump right?

To give some quick background the oil pressure gauge had been acting up for a while. I did reasearch and found out it could be a faulty sending
switch. On idle it would bounce and stay down sometimes and once accelerated it would jump back to the middle. Oil changes were frequent and when I
checked the oil that night and it was not missing oil.

So my questions is, if it's knocking is it too late? will an oil pump replacement and fresh oil tell? I'm just afraid that I may have damaged
internals already. Any input would be great. I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he'll be here around noon.

Thanks in advance guys

p.s don't mind my sig.
02 F150 FX4 silver- (Sold)
98 F150 4x4 white- (Sold)
02 GT mineral gray 1st car stock - (Sold)
mikehailey02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If the motor is already knocking it appears to be too late
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
New motor time.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger View Post
If the motor is already knocking it appears to be too late
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
New motor time.

you guys were right on it. Dropped the oil pan and there was a piece of metal and the oil pump was clogged. So I'll be looking for a new engine. Thanks guys for responding. 3rd engine in 2 years.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Go find a 02-05 Explorer PI engine, you get a WAP block with those. And wow burning through 2 engines already that's bad luck unless you're really pushing it with a blower or something.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go find a 02-05 Explorer PI engine, you get a WAP block with those. And wow burning through 2 engines already that's bad luck unless you're really pushing it with a blower or something.

i think I'm picking this up tonight, found it locally. He's letting it go for $900

was going to swap this in his 95 v6 but decided against it because of the wiring.

gonna take a mechanic to check out the engine. Yeah man I've had back luck with this car. It's like a karma thing for wrecking my previous gt. No F/I i wish! if it weren't for all these engines i probably would have been supercharged by now

check it out, what do you think? ------> it's a cl link

2002 ford mustang gt engine and transmission
Old 07-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That seems like a great deal! 900 bucks isn't bad at all. If it works.
2000 Mustang Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
FWIW, there's several places selling a whole reman'd engine for about 2 grand

4.6 Liter Ford Engine | 4.6 Ford Engine | Rebuilt Ford Engine | Accurate Engines

3-year unlimited miles etc....third time is the charm
Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

The used engine/trans is a great price... IF you can verify the miles and that it runs... dude could be selling it because it isn't holding pressure on a leakdown check or something, gotta hope for the best but assume the very worst. You can sell the trans if you don't need it for $500 to make some money back.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post

4.6 Liter Ford Engine | 4.6 Ford Engine | Rebuilt Ford Engine | Accurate Engines

Ive had very bad experiences with them... truck motor had bad piston seatings everytime good thing for warrenty because I went through 3.... I even used break in oil and drove it like a gramp for about a month
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Holy hell, 3 engines? Sucks that you had all those problems man but thankfully that warranty helped out. I get that 1 might be bad, but after 3 straight i'd be absolutely beside myself.

I came across them when i was researching sean hyland's how-to rebuild our 4.6's. I think i'd rather piece it together and build it myself lol. Will cross that bridge later (and stop the hijack hehe).
Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy hell, 3 engines? Sucks that you had all those problems man but thankfully that warranty helped out. I get that 1 might be bad, but after 3 straight i'd be absolutely beside myself.

I came across them when i was researching sean hyland's how-to rebuild our 4.6's. I think i'd rather piece it together and build it myself lol. Will cross that bridge later (and stop the hijack hehe).
If I were to use them for this car I would just get the 4 valve... its almost the same price lol
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

My feelings exactly and then you can use whatever block and rotating assy combo you want . I've got a nice bare Teksid on a stand in the garage exactly for this purpose...

Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i had thought about a 4v swap for mine too, but from what im reading i just dont wanna deal with all the headaches associated with it like the pcm and harnesses etc. TBH id rather go 03/04 termi than deal with this that and the other on a 2v/4v swap.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:
My feelings exactly and then you can use whatever block and rotating assy combo you want . I've got a nice bare Teksid on a stand in the garage exactly for this purpose...
I have wanted a Teksid block from day one! Its the basis for my dream engine build lol. Add some Manley internals, TFS heads and nice cams...THEN i'll be comfy going f/i
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

The wiring isn't really a huge deal at all. I just don't see the point of a 4V anymore with all the stuff available for a 2V if you are starting from scratch. If you just want to drop some coin on something already done and stock then yeah, the Termi is the way to go but for a project... 2V all the way.

Edit:

I got my Teksid and forged Cobra crank for $250 picked up locally lol. They can be found for a pretty good price, the Teksid is at LEAST a $5k block in pushrod land, one reason I went to modulars...

I'm honestly going to just check the bores of this thing and if they check good I'm going to clean it up, do a quickie in the garage hone, throw some terminator rods/pistons in it and Tork Tech it with ported heads and Comp 270 cams. Going to sound a-freaking-mazing and will make a solid 550rwhp with a ported Eaton. All I am looking for right meow.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Meow yer talkin! I'll be keeping tabs on that build when ya do it, i think we're both heading down the same path. Right now i need to get employed again (laid off almost a month ago after 9+ yrs) to keep the income flowing, then the wife has promised some pony funds
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately a ported eaton won't even break 500rwhp unless you run really high compression and race gas only . The Heaton is a great stock blower and does well with porting. A four valve is lucky to clear 480-500 with a ported blower and long tubes. The Cobras start clearing the 550 rwhp with a whipple or kb and a lot of fuel .
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, maybe I'm aiming a little high, I know it can be done, probably will be making too much heat with that thing though. I'll be happy with 500whp which is totally doable with a good port and stage 3 PI heads. There are a ****load of Cobras over 500whp with ported blowers, to bad Posi stopped doing ports... maybe I can find a used Posi ported blower somewhere but I bet they are going for a premium.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 Mustang Gt View Post
That seems like a great deal! 900 bucks isn't bad at all. If it works.

Quote:
The used engine/trans is a great price... IF you can verify the miles and that it runs... dude could be selling it because it isn't holding pressure on a leakdown check or something, gotta hope for the best but assume the very worst. You can sell the trans if you don't need it for $500 to make some money back.

had a mechanic check it out and said engine and tranny were good, since my tranny was leaking I'm going to use both. One thing I noticed was that it had the old intake manifold without the aluminum crossover. Is that normal for an 02?

Im going to use my current one since i bought one a few months back when my intake manifold cracked. Picked up the pair today and will have it installed next weekend when i get paid. Wish me luck on number 3.

Quote:

I seriously pray the third time is the charm. lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT