Deployed window shopping - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Deployed window shopping

I recently got deployed and left my car in storage back in the States but my old man has the keys. I want to come home to a better faster car. As much as I like working on it myself I kind of want to some home, jump in, put the pedal to the floor and get that eat to ear grin that happens when you gain a bunch of HP. I have already upgraded the h pipe to an x pipe, added flowmasters, changed the CAI, throttle body, plenum and COPs. Just basic bolt on stuff. Now I want to add some real horse power. Any suggestions?
Enderthreesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you want to feel like you've added 50 HP and Equal torque, i suggest a nice set of gears. Cheap, and you feel it. If you want actual horsepower, you need Heads, Cams, Intake, or Boost. All of which, require alot of time and money. But worth it in the end. Costs money to go fast man. And 2V GTs don't like to go all that fast, unfortunately.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah like I said I'm deployed so money isn't really a problem. I am looking at cams. I have a speed shop back home that can install and tune. Kind of looking at forced induction. Not sure if I want to go with a pro charger or a kenne bell if I decide to go that route
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderthreesix View Post
I recently got deployed and left my car in storage back in the States but my old man has the keys. I want to come home to a better faster car. As much as I like working on it myself I kind of want to some home, jump in, put the pedal to the floor and get that eat to ear grin that happens when you gain a bunch of HP. I have already upgraded the h pipe to an x pipe, added flowmasters, changed the CAI, throttle body, plenum and COPs. Just basic bolt on stuff. Now I want to add some real horse power. Any suggestions?
Yay for deployed window shopping, hopefully you have your own laptop and aren't having to sit in the computer lab. I recently did Qatar for a few months and its not that bad, hopefully you aren't gone too long...

Anyway, I'm guessing since you added COPs your car didn't originally come with them so its a 96-98? Gotta list what you have first. If you have a 96-98 you'll for sure want gears and subframes are a good idea for any car. Then your next move is a PI swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
If you want to feel like you've added 50 HP and Equal torque, i suggest a nice set of gears. Cheap, and you feel it. If you want actual horsepower, you need Heads, Cams, Intake, or Boost. All of which, require alot of time and money. But worth it in the end. Costs money to go fast man. And 2V GTs don't like to go all that fast, unfortunately.
Says you.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm only saying it costs alot of cash to get these cars quick. I personally, am content with my 90% stock GT, seeing as it feels quick enough for me. But to get it to 400+ HP,you're talking quite a bit of cash. I'm basing this off the average Joe on here, who expects full bolt ons, and 300hp. Most people don't realize you don't get all that impressive numbers from full bolt ons as some seem to believe.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can get about 240-260whp from bolt ons which can get you 12s. After that its a Vortech to 400whp which is not nearly as expensive as ppl think. Fuel system will run $500 if you look, you can piece together a S trim for $1500ish and then after that its whatever the tune costs. They're not any harder to make power with than the 5.0 is honestly, not anymore.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You can get about 240-260whp from bolt ons which can get you 12s. After that its a Vortech to 400whp which is not nearly as expensive as ppl think. Fuel system will run $500 if you look, you can piece together a S trim for $1500ish and then after that its whatever the tune costs. They're not any harder to make power with than the 5.0 is honestly, not anymore.
show me one making 240. running 12's
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty were you at As Sayliyah or Al Udied? I passed through there once. As for making power I want to move up from just bolt ins. I have a 2000 GT convertible. Heavy frame since it's a convertible so I know it'll never cross the finish line in record breaking time I just want it to be quick enough to put you in your seat. It moves now but I want a little pucker factor. My PSG keeps saying Cams are the best bang for your buck but he is also a HUGE Camaro guy and does have a camaro that scares the living **** out of most people who have driven it.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
show me one making 240. running 12's
I said 240-260.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderthreesix View Post
Scotty were you at As Sayliyah or Al Udied? I passed through there once. As for making power I want to move up from just bolt ins. I have a 2000 GT convertible. Heavy frame since it's a convertible so I know it'll never cross the finish line in record breaking time I just want it to be quick enough to put you in your seat. It moves now but I want a little pucker factor. My PSG keeps saying Cams are the best bang for your buck but he is also a HUGE Camaro guy and does have a camaro that scares the living **** out of most people who have driven it.
I "did the Died". People always ***** about that place but its really not that bad, just holy yoga balls hot.

Um, 5 spd? Auto? For a 2000 Vert you definitely want some 4.10s or even 4.30s for gears and you HAVE to get a set of full length subframe connectors. Also beware your intake if you have not upgraded it (or someone else did) to one with a metal coolant crossover. I'd finish your bolt ons and then start working on the suspension and wheels/tires. You don't have to make a ton of power to move out if you have a good setup to get the power you do have to the ground effectively.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Al Udied is the awesome. I was at as Sayliyah. We would go on pass to al Udied lol. Yeah I have 3.73s now they are alright. What are your thoughts on underdrive pulleys as another bolt on
Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have heard they cause problems when put in a car with a big sound system in it. That's really the only thing i've heard negativity wise. I don't have them so i can't speak from experience.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Deal's on the 13 & 14 are crazy right now. I would just buy another Car. The inventory out here is good, and you can save a lot over MSRP and have the Car waiting on you when you get back. Just makes better sense to get it while your gone casue you can save more and spend more becasue they will lock you into a discount and add to the discount if it goes up. IDK
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

As much as I am dying to get my hands on a 5.0 coyote I can't really do that. The car is my frivolous expense but I still have a house and a retirement to worry about
Old 07-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I can respect that, my Family took a pay cut coming back from Germany and Now I am deployed with two New cars (2013) and a house to pay for. So I understand where you are coming from. How long do you have until retirement? I have just under 6 left for the minimum 20.
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm only half way there but you know how TSP and IRAs work, you have to put money in early or you'll spend the next half trying to catch up. The pension is good but I want a little extra for my next favorite car. Lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT