Koni Yellow Sport Shocks vs Tokico Illuminas vs Bilstein HD - with H&R SS springs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Koni Yellow Sport Shocks vs Tokico Illuminas vs Bilstein HD - with H&R SS springs?

I currently have Tokico Illuminas Adjustable shocks/struts on my 2000 GT paired with H&R SS springs. I am using the foxbody version in the front of the car.

Anyhow, the car seems to have a lot of body roll / nose dive under hard braking and cornering, yet it is bone jarringly harsh over bumpy roads.

Would switching to either the Koni Yellow Sport adjustable shocks/struts or Bilstien HDs help? Or is the problem with my H&R SS springs?
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Either Koni sports of Bilstein HD I would choose over Tokicos.
I run Koni sports and love them.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
I currently have Tokico Illuminas Adjustable shocks/struts on my 2000 GT paired with H&R SS springs. I am using the foxbody version in the front of the car.

Anyhow, the car seems to have a lot of body roll / nose dive under hard braking and cornering, yet it is bone jarringly harsh over bumpy roads.

Would switching to either the Koni Yellow Sport adjustable shocks/struts or Bilstien HDs help? Or is the problem with my H&R SS springs?
May I ask why you are using the Foxbody version?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

May I ask why you are using the Foxbody version?
Foxbody struts are smaller but use the same mounting points so they are ideal for really low cars.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

Foxbody struts are smaller but use the same mounting points so they are ideal for really low cars.
Really? Makes me wonder if i should invest in some. Hows it handle for lowered cars?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post

Really? Makes me wonder if i should invest in some. Hows it handle for lowered cars?
Yep. The SN-95s and New Edges are a modified Fox chassis called the Fox 4 or something like that. I haven't personally put fox struts on so I honestly don't know.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Exactly why I am using them. I wonder though if these foxbody struts are valved differently to support a lighter weight car, thus not supporting my heavier SN95 as well?

There is a local deal for Koni Sport Kit which consists of the Koni Yellow Shocks and Koni Sport Springs but for the foxbody... I was thinking I shouldn't have an issue with the shocks/struts, but now thinking it through, it might not be a good idea? I was going to sell off the springs and just use the shocks/strut.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting. I didnt know that. I wonder if the valving is different and that is the reason OP is having ride quality issues. I ask this because I just bought a set of Illuminas and hope to hell that the ride is not as bad as OP is experiencing.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Also to anyone here that have used the illuminas - are you able to twist the adjustment knob continuously? I have noticed no actual stopping point past notch #5... like it just keeps spinning. Is this normal?

EDIT - after reading it appears that this is normal for the illuminas adjustment.

How about the Koni Yellows - can you adjust them on the car or do they need to be removed from the car? From reading about them on different cars, it looks like the fronts are adjusted on the car via a top knob, and the rears must come off? I would hate to have to pull them everytime I needed to adjust...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Exactly why I am using them. I wonder though if these foxbody struts are valved differently to support a lighter weight car, thus not supporting my heavier SN95 as well?

There is a local deal for Koni Sport Kit which consists of the Koni Yellow Shocks and Koni Sport Springs but for the foxbody... I was thinking I shouldn't have an issue with the shocks/struts, but now thinking it through, it might not be a good idea? I was going to sell off the springs and just use the shocks/strut.
Yeah the shocks and struts wont have much to do with the swaying but the excessive diving isn't right. What setting do you have them at?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Here are a shot of my rear Konis.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yeah the shocks and struts wont have much to do with the swaying but the excessive diving isn't right. What setting do you have them at?
Set to 5 in front and 3 in rear now - I just set them like this this past weekend. I haven't pushed the car hard since to really comment on nose lift/dive and body roll yet. Before the front was set to 3 and rear to 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Here are a shot of my rear Konis.

Can you adjust the rears on the car, or do they need to be removed? How about the front - adjustable on the car?

Also how difficult was your rear panhard bar install? I have mine sitting here waiting to go on for over a year now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT