BBK THROTTLE BODY - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
lilgramboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
BBK THROTTLE BODY

So thinking about getting the 78mm throttle body but not to sure if it would be the right thing.. lots of people say no because I only have a tuner, intake manifold, and cold air in the engine right now, but others say it still helps alot and do it... any opinions or help? thanks
lilgramboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Its a good tb and plenum combo. And it won't really be used all the way because not as much airflow coming in. But its worth it if you ever go f/i in the future.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
lilgramboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Its a good tb and plenum combo. And it won't really be used all the way because not as much airflow coming in. But its worth it if you ever go f/i in the future.
not as much air flow? it makes more air flow come in
lilgramboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgramboy View Post

not as much air flow? it makes more air flow come in
He meant to say air velocity. The engine doesn't generate enough vacuum to suck in air through such a big hole. Usually 70mm is recommended for a N/A motor because it helps maintain air velocity while still flowing more air than the stock throttlebody. If you read through the Beginners Guide to Bolt-Ons in the stickies section it has a chart comparing the air flow you get out of various plenum and throttlebody combos.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
That extra amount isnt going to be used because that extra amount isnt being made.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.p...ufabFlow01.htm
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
lilgramboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

He meant to say air velocity. The engine doesn't generate enough vacuum to suck in air through such a big hole. Usually 70mm is recommended for a N/A motor because it helps maintain air velocity while still flowing more air than the stock throttlebody. If you read through the Beginners Guide to Bolt-Ons in the stickies section it has a chart comparing the air flow you get out of various plenum and throttlebody combos.
would it be gains in power still with more air if I will upgrade more engine things or would it be loss of power
lilgramboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgramboy View Post

would it be gains in power still with more air if I will upgrade more engine things or would it be loss of power
You won't see much of a power difference in the butt dyno. If you do some major engine work to make it breathe or go F/I then the 78mm might worth it.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
lilgramboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

You won't see much of a power difference in the butt dyno. If you do some major engine work to make it breathe or go F/I then the 78mm might worth it.
fuel injectors is what you mean right? and how big of injectors would you say?
lilgramboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,609
F/I=Forced Induction IE Supercharger/Turbocharger.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
lilgramboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
F/I=Forced Induction IE Supercharger/Turbocharger.
oh I was going to say I never really heard of fuel injectors effecting throttle body's lol but yes I don't think I'm going with a super or turbo any time soon
lilgramboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,609
IMO, just get the Trick Flow plenum and Dragon 75mm TB. Done and done. The TFS plenum is EASILY the best bang for the buck plenum out there and the plenum should be upgraded right away as its the same one that comes on the NPI cars and not exactly optimal.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
I have the BBK 78mm on my car and it hardly makes a difference. I doubt any of them do. There are better mods for the money (gears!)
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,609
Gotta upgrade the plenum too for anything even slightly noticible. Lets you pull harder up top at least.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
lilgramboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
IMO, just get the Trick Flow plenum and Dragon 75mm TB. Done and done. The TFS plenum is EASILY the best bang for the buck plenum out there and the plenum should be upgraded right away as its the same one that comes on the NPI cars and not exactly optimal.
how much is the trick flow plenum and the dragon 75mm?
lilgramboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,609
The Google machine... use it.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:08 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.