98 vs 02 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
98 vs 02 GT

Would intake, tuner, and exhaust beat a stock 02 gt? I know the 98 had like 215 horses compare to the 260 horses in 02?
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Would intake, tuner, and exhaust beat a stock 02 gt? I know the 98 had like 215 horses compare to the 260 horses in 02?
doubtful with the gearing difference stock for stock. i'd guess even with those mods the stock '02 would have 30 or so rwhp on you. (mod motors just don't make the leaps in power like a pushrod motor afterall with bolt ons)

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
You will lose ,GT has better heads better cams better manifold , better transmission ..
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What else could I do to beat one? Beside supercharging it or turbo etc.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What else could I do to beat one? Beside supercharging it or turbo etc.
Nitrous .. Sorry to say .. Unless you get 410s and sticky *** tires
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
+1 I have an 02 and my buddy drives a 98, he tries and tries but can't touch me
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A PI head swap on your car will produce more power than a 99+ GT due to the higher compression and should be considered a must-have mod at some point if you're serious about your car.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
doubtful with the gearing difference stock for stock. i'd guess even with those mods the stock '02 would have 30 or so rwhp on you. (mod motors just don't make the leaps in power like a pushrod motor afterall with bolt ons)
Having had both the regular 5.0 HO, the GT40 5.0 Cobra and a PI modular among other cars I would agrue that the 4.6L PI takes to bolt ons as well as the Cobra and BETTER than the regular 5.0 HO. Now as far as performance, you have to remember that a lot of the advantages to the 5.0s are in the lighter foxes and more agressive factory tunes and a little more power on the low end. I WILL say the modulars pull harder up top though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
You will lose ,GT has better heads better cams better manifold , better transmission ..
They're both GTs and they have the same transmission. Well, the same for all intents and purposes. 98 has the T-45 and the 02 will have a T-3650. PI heads are better but the NPI heads really aren't very bad once the cams and intake are swapped. Its been proven most of the PI power comes from the intake/cams vs the heads. With that said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
A PI head swap on your car will produce more power than a 99+ GT due to the higher compression and should be considered a must-have mod at some point if you're serious about your car.
Bingo, PI swap is pretty much mandatory on any 4.6l wanting to make any sort of meaningful power. One of the biggest reasons for the PI upgrade in 99 were complaints about how awful the NPI 4.6L was.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well the reason most ppl hate the 2v is bc it takes more money to build than the old pushrods 5.0 but really if you got the dough the 4.6 is an awesome motor and out runs the old 5.0 but I still think they should have made the 4.6 a 5.0 mod motor I would have been better
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

2V doesn't cost any more money to build up than a pushrod.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
2V doesn't cost any more money to build up than a pushrod.
Depends on what level we're building to. SBF blocks start splitting around 550hp(IIRC), which puts them past the 2v when you factor in, say a Dart block. All motor, around 500hp, every component for a pushrod is cheaper though. Rotating assembly is cheaper, heads are cheaper, only one cam, intakes, it's all less money.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

NA the pushrod is always going to win, period, hands down, no question. Modulars need boost and in that regard they shine and it really becomes "he who spends the most money wins".

Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

Region: California
Quote:
NA the pushrod is always going to win, period, hands down, no question. Modulars need boost and in that regard they shine and it really becomes "he who spends the most money wins".
WELL SAID!
DARK.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Not at all a fox body cobra barely pulled on me in my auto 03 convertable GT and all I had was a off road pipe, CAI, and weld in mufflers. Equal mods vs equal mods the 2v 4.6 in the3 99-04 make more power as well as having more power from the start. Only reason why people like the 5.0 pushrod better is because the parts are dirt cheap other than that it takes a tone of work to get 300rwhp out of them if you paid any attention to the build AM did. You can get 300rwhp out of a 99-04 with full bolt ons and a aggressive cam.
R03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Well the reason most ppl hate the 2v is bc it takes more money to build than the old pushrods 5.0 but really if you got the dough the 4.6 is an awesome motor and out runs the old 5.0 but I still think they should have made the 4.6 a 5.0 mod motor I would have been better
True 5.0 parts are so cheap ..

I wish the price of a pushrod cam would be the same for my car lol , etc.

My old GT would put 5.0s to shame ..

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK.STANG View Post

WELL SAID!
Yeah right.. Ill smoke a pushrod
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R03GT View Post

Not at all a fox body cobra barely pulled on me in my auto 03 convertable GT and all I had was a off road pipe, CAI, and weld in mufflers. Equal mods vs equal mods the 2v 4.6 in the3 99-04 make more power as well as having more power from the start. Only reason why people like the 5.0 pushrod better is because the parts are dirt cheap other than that it takes a tone of work to get 300rwhp out of them if you paid any attention to the build AM did. You can get 300rwhp out of a 99-04 with full bolt ons and a aggressive cam.
A ton of work to get to 300rwhp? I didn't think changing the intake, the cam, and bolting some good heads on was a ton of work...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes View Post

A ton of work to get to 300rwhp? I didn't think changing the intake, the cam, and bolting some good heads on was a ton of work...
That's not 300rwhp .. Off by a long shot

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Quote:

That's not 300rwhp .. Off by a long shot
Didn't see heads ..

Well
Stage 3 heads .. Stage 3 cam, full exhaust, all the bolt ons and a dyno tune .. Should be 300 lil over , my buddy just got his dyno'd
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Dude I was talking about a build up not bolt on cars racing lol. And an argument could still be made because a 3000 lb notch with 4.10s and a good set of tires would be tough.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes View Post

Changing the whole top end and full bolt ons is almost a engine rebuild if you put new internals and engine block with it. That isnt a small amount of work thats almost a whole engine rebuild.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Quote:

Dude I was talking about a build up not bolt on cars racing lol. And an argument could still be made because a 3000 lb notch with 4.10s and a good set of tires would be tough.
Even eith both engines rebuilt the 4.6 is going to make more power than the old push rod 5.0. Its as simple as that the modulat 4.6 is better. Just because its cheaper to buold dosent mean its goibg to be faster/make more power.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Changing the whole top end and full bolt ons is almost a engine rebuild if you put new internals and engine block with it. That isnt a small amount of work thats almost a whole engine rebuild.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Even eith both engines rebuilt the 4.6 is going to make more power than the old push rod 5.0. Its as simple as that the modulat 4.6 is better. Just because its cheaper to buold dosent mean its goibg to be faster/make more power.
Someone has not been around Mustangs for very long...

Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Someone has not been around Mustangs for very long...
Yes because the old 5.0 runs in the 14's with full bolt ons when the 4.6 can run 12's to low 13's. That dosent mean anything to you? Funny how the 4.6 when built can make 350+hp and torque and the 5.0 cant after full rebuild. Want proof go to moddedmustangs they have a full thread of people getting close to 400's N/A
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Yes because the old 5.0 runs in the 14's with full bolt ons when the 4.6 can run 12's to low 13's. That dosent mean anything to you? Funny how the 4.6 when built can make 350+hp and torque and the 5.0 cant after full rebuild. Want proof go to moddedmustangs they have a full thread of people getting close to 400's N/A
A bone stock 5.0 runs 14s. Get some real world experience instead of referring me to a forum I already belong to. Also LMAO at "a pushrod can't hit 350whp after a rebuild".

We have an internet racer on our hands.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A bone stock 5.0 runs 14s. Get some real world experience instead of referring me to a forum I already belong to. Also a NA 347 stroker is easily able to get above 400whp not "getting close to" and don't even get me started on the 351 based strokers.

I've said it many times, for NA stick with a pushrod, for FI the modular is awesome but the pushrod is capable too. Both are good motors but both have pros and cons.
Hey dumb *** is a 351 a 5.0? Hhhmmmm no I dont think it is guess its not really a 5.0 anymore is it. Its kinda funny the push rod pieces of crap get what 220hp and like 260lbs of torque after a CAI, throttlebody, and off road pipe with a tune. Thats complete ****. If we are talking about stroking the engine bore/stroke the 4.6 and youll be making better power or are you just thinking of people who put stage 2 cams and heads? Lol 4.6 ****s on the 5.0. Changing the whole block and bore/stroking it isnt even a 5.0 anymore.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Hey dumb *** is a 351 a 5.0? Hhhmmmm no I dont think it is guess its not really a 5.0 anymore is it. Its kinda funny the push rod pieces of crap get what 220hp and like 260lbs of torque after a CAI, throttlebody, and off road pipe with a tune. Thats complete ****. If we are talking about stroking the engine bore/stroke the 4.6 and youll be making better power or are you just thinking of people who put stage 2 cams and heads? Lol 4.6 ****s on the 5.0. Changing the whole block and bore/stroking it isnt even a 5.0 anymore.
You seriously have 0 clue what you are talking about and its pretty funny.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Someones new to the forum...
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:

Lol it's not about how much HP it's about the power to the ground.. Wow you have no clue about cars.. Just because a car puts down 1000hp don't mean its gonna win every time.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Popcorn..... im intrigued now by this. Pi swap is a must fo a npi motor. U will benefit from it and of course will push more than a stock 99-04 not by much but still enough. Add on bolt ons and cams 300 ish easily
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Someones new to the forum...
He probably beat a stock AOD 5.0 that wasn't trying and now thinks his 4.6L is invincible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
Lol it's not about how much HP it's about the power to the ground.. Wow you have no clue about cars.. Just because a car puts down 1000hp don't mean its gonna win every time.
Yep, I've seen cars making a good deal less hp than the car they are up against just wtfpwn them at the 1/4 track. Its just as much about the setup of the car as it is the power being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Popcorn..... im intrigued now by this. Pi swap is a must fo a npi motor. U will benefit from it and of course will push more than a stock 99-04 not by much but still enough. Add on bolt ons and cams 300 ish easily
Yep but you have to watch the cams with the flat tops in the NPI shortblock. But yeah a bolt on cammed 2V will hit 300whp with a good tune. A HCI 5.0L will hit 300whp as well, more like 325 and a LOT of torque, something the modular sorely lacks in NA form.

Again, I am not advocating for one over the other, they are both GREAT motors and a LOT can be done with both. However, if I ever do another NA build it's going to be a 351 based pushrod. A street built 408 stroker properly setup will do 500 to the wheels easy and the power comes on instantly when you hit the gas. Also a 408 stroker really isn't very much more money than a 331/347.

Honestly I regret selling my Cobra but I needed to at the time and it was just sitting. If I could do it all over again I'd start with a clean 93-95 Cobra and drop a 408 with a manually shifted 4r70w into it.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

He probably beat a stock AOD 5.0 that wasn't trying and now thinks his 4.6L is invincible.

Yep, I've seen cars making a good deal less hp than the car they are up against just wtfpwn them at the 1/4 track. Its just as much about the setup of the car as it is the power being made.

Yep but you have to watch the cams with the flat tops in the NPI shortblock. But yeah a bolt on cammed 2V will hit 300whp with a good tune. A HCI 5.0L will hit 300whp as well, more like 325 and a LOT of torque, something the modular sorely lacks in NA form.

Again, I am not advocating for one over the other, they are both GREAT motors and a LOT can be done with both. However, if I ever do another NA build it's going to be a 351 based pushrod. A street built 408 stroker properly setup will do 500 to the wheels easy and the power comes on instantly when you hit the gas. Also a 408 stroker really isn't very much more money than a 331/347.

Honestly I regret selling my Cobra but I needed to at the time and it was just sitting. If I could do it all over again I'd start with a clean 93-95 Cobra and drop a 408 with a manually shifted 4r70w into it.
A little off topic from the post but I don't know a whole lot about our trannys but 4r70w are autos correct? Shifted manually by let's say a ratchet shifter?
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah a 4R trans with a full manual valve body (shifted with something like a B&M Pro Stick) and a nice aftermarket stall converter paired to a 408 will shatter your testicles every time you punch it.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I see.. I wish I had enough funds and something more worth building. My 2v is quite slow. But at the moment I'm in a 5k appearance upgrade that I know I'm going to kick myself in the d*** for. But I'm young and dumb.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #32
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
I see.. I wish I had enough funds and something more worth building. My 2v is quite slow. But at the moment I'm in a 5k appearance upgrade that I know I'm going to kick myself in the d*** for. But I'm young and dumb.
All in good time I have an 01 2v 93 5.0 and 03 v6 they all get a little love.. I won't say my 2v is fast but it's a fun DD..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah a bolt on PI car is a GREAT daily driver, even with a set of cams in it its a great DD. I'm actually considering DDing my 98 at some point soon. Its got enough little corrosion spots that I can't really justify how crazy I am about keeping it out of the weather. Obviously no snow or ice but just rain and a little salt... as long as it goes through the car wash in the winter once a week it'll be good for many years. Also a supercharged PI stang making 400whp is pretty much perfect with a centri blower. Power is there if you want it but if you don't want it just keep the RPMs down and get stock drivability and gas mileage.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

a stock 5.0 runs very high 14s

Seen alot 200 of them a year at my track

( Foxboys only ) not 94-95
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
a stock 5.0 runs very high 14s

Seen alot 200 of them a year at my track

( Foxboys only ) not 94-95
Yep, not sure what ******bag McHappy was spouting about bolt on ones only being 14 second cars. A 3100lb notch is going to get into the 12s with enough suspension work and sticky tires on the stock longblock. Plenty of ppl who just want to go fast on the weekends buy a decent fox, throw a 150 shot at it and bolt ons and run 11s.

I will say though, I REALLY miss my 94/95 Cobra... that is the car to get IMO...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT