2000 GT with a Coyote Aluminator -- First start! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
2000 GT with a Coyote Aluminator -- First start!

First Start! | Coyotify Blog

Now maybe for some sleep...
fericyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Awesome. Congratulations
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I just had a conversation with my platoon sergeant about this today. I had mentioned that maybe I should get a coyote for my 2000 GT convertible. Do you think it is worth it?
Enderthreesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderthreesix View Post
I just had a conversation with my platoon sergeant about this today. I had mentioned that maybe I should get a coyote for my 2000 GT convertible. Do you think it is worth it?
Well, it was for me, but I think the question you're really asking is: "Will I ever get my money's worth" out of the project.

If I had paid someone to do this work it would have been done as quickly as possible, and without a lot of the nuances that I think make a huge difference. Even done quickly, this is not a swap for the timid -- Very costly. I think at last tally I was around 14k in parts alone, and that's not counting the 500 to 1000 in hardware store and parts store milk runs (if you know what I mean). Lot's of odds and ends to get er' done.

Even at a high rate of speed, I suspect the labor alone would clock in between 4-10k US.

I am writing up everything (I have a ton of notes and a parts list and chapters upon chapters of text and pictures). I plan on making it an e-book. You can dig through my blog for the journey that got me here -- it's pretty extensive and the regular videos I posted give some idea of what has to be done.

For me, though, all I can say is that it was and is worth it. I learned so much about my car and about myself in the process. That alone was worth the year plus time I spent in my spare hours putting this thing together. I've had my 2000 GT since it was new, and this will breath new life into the car, so that's also worth it.

Finally, I just love the Coyote motor -- it's light, efficient and it has a potential 8100 RPM red-line. I calculate that I'll be 400-600 lbs lighter than a termi, with almost as much horsepower and torque -- and that's without a tune. All the weight differences will be off the nose of the car too.

And as soon as I've got those weight, horsepower and efficiency numbers I'll be sharing, but I've heard what others have reported and suspect that I'll be in for similar numbers (30 mpg highway is one of my goals, and I don't think I'll have a hard time making that).
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
to coool
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
AWESOME!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Very nice! I wonder what the cost would be to do a 5.8 dohc swap from a wrecked gt500. Amazing.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Swapping a 5.4 from a GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
Very nice! I wonder what the cost would be to do a 5.8 dohc swap from a wrecked gt500. Amazing.
Well, apples to apples, I know the new parts would be a killer -- from a wrecked GT500 (newer one) I'd say the big issue would be space -- the hood would need to be a bit taller (cough) and then the drive train would have to be adapted (don't forget too, the 2013+ GT500 has a carbon fiber drive shaft that you would want in this car, and the rear end is special as well).

I'm guessing about double No idea though.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That's totally badass, I just wish the Coyotes weren't so goddamn expensive... Maybe when the 2015s come out and we start seeing more wrecked early Coyotes they'll be cheaper.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That's totally badass, I just wish the Coyotes weren't so goddamn expensive... Maybe when the 2015s come out and we start seeing more wrecked early Coyotes they'll be cheaper.
Man I hear you there! Even if the motor were free though, this swap has some rough edges that make it expensive. We (a friend and I) are thinking that a kit would be nice -- something that addresses all of the unexpected unknowns. It's a lot of "little things" that end up adding up to a lot of head scratching that make the swap so rough.

I've tracked everything along the way -- all of the weird little parts and things -- that make this hard. I'm writing it up. Over time it won't be so bad I hope. Too many people putting LS motors into Mustangs IMHO, because of this complexity.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
very cool. Can't wait to see the first drive.
Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Nice! So just let me know when you're done with the whole swap, and I'll ship you my 86 Gt! Lol.

Awesome job man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT