Functional scoops - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Functional scoops

Have any of you ever altered your hood or side scoops to make them functional? If so what were the results? Did the scoop hold up? Did it help with the temperatures?
Enderthreesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderthreesix View Post
Have any of you ever altered your hood or side scoops to make them functional? If so what were the results? Did the scoop hold up? Did it help with the temperatures?
Really doesn't make anything functional .. Just air hitting engine bay

Unless it was some how guided to the air filter like the shaker system ..

And you could run into problems with scoop flying off ..
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
Curious to this as well. My 97 GT has those small hood scoops/vents. Curious if its possible to make them functional. Edit. Never mind I see the ones on the good actually do breathe (barely) to the engine.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'm about to make the side scoops functional on my 98. Easy enough to do too
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
I'm about to make the side scoops functional on my 98. Easy enough to do too
I would interested in the "how to" if you have any info.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yeah its really not worth it for the hood. You might have an issue with rain/water getting in there and could interfere with the c.o.p.'s. I only say this because I knew somebody that did it and thays exactly what happened. As for the side scoops, kenny brown makes a kit for new edges for brake cooling hoses for the front using the fog light ducts. As for the rear, its feasible, but you might as well just get some vented rotors and better pads. It would be easier to do.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Just purchased my car yesterday. It has an aftermarket fiberglass hood with functional scoop. Thinking about blocking it up to keep water out although they said its been on there for years with no issues
Headleshorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'd wait till after it rains and see if it makes a difference. Might be fine with an aftermarket hood, as those usually are made to flow any water to the front of the engine. The Cervani 2000 Cobra R hood i have on my new edge does that.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm interested in doing the side scoops purely to do it provided there is no negative effect to the car. Not worried about performance.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
My hood scoop on my GT is functional and honestly it looks sooo much better than the honeycomb but not.worth it. Broke one of the little brackets while on the highway cause it flexes waaayy to much at high speeds so I need to go out and get a new scoop:/
MineralGrayGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Leave it, do a shaker, or buy an aftermarket hood.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Shaker is cool. But I love the way the new edge looks with a cowl.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quick question.. I've thought about purchasing an aftermarket hood that's functional but since I live in CO where it snows and rains would it be a bad idea to get one? My concern is that it would damage something under the hood..
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
Quick question.. I've thought about purchasing an aftermarket hood that's functional but since I live in CO where it snows and rains would it be a bad idea to get one? My concern is that it would damage something under the hood..
Got a garage?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post

Got a garage?
My parents are divorced so I go between houses.. But at my dads I do and at my moms I park in the street.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If you do id invest in a car cover
Old 08-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mines a V6. My hood scoops "functional" I guess you can say. Had no problems with water since it lands right on the intake manifold. Just cut a hole where the "vent" was and mounted the scoop. You can feel the heat escape from the hood real well and I've had no problems driving 90+ on the highway and I only have two screws and 3m tape all around holding it on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4286380879.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	121989   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1641887366.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	121990  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-611130248.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	121991  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Mines a V6. My hood scoops "functional" I guess you can say. Had no problems with water since it lands right on the intake manifold. Just cut a hole where the "vent" was and mounted the scoop. You can feel the heat escape from the hood real well and I've had no problems driving 90+ on the highway and I only have two screws and 3m tape all around holding it on
How long have you had it like that? My friends keep telling me to cut mine out, but I've heard the horror stories of the scoops flying off.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstang03 View Post

How long have you had it like that? My friends keep telling me to cut mine out, but I've heard the horror stories of the scoops flying off.
I've had it for a month or two. There's really no difference though. It's just a little slit and I guess it makes your mind feel better about the engine temperature. Like I said I've gone 90+ and the thing doesn't even move. 2 bolts and 3m double sides tape all round. If anything, the hole helps the aerodynamics of the scoop because instead of pushing on the scoop, the air goes in the engine bay and exits out the cowl
Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It might not be a problem with an 01'-04' hood scoop, but the 99'-04' I wouldn't cut it. Ford designed it that way, and although there's a lot left to be improved on the New edge, aerodynamics is really not one of them. Unless you have some kind of heat producing supercharger, or some kind of extreme heat under the hood, there's no point either. Any decent quality aftermarket cowl/functional street hood scoop is gonna be made to handle the elements too. I'd say resist the erge to do it and wax and detail your car instead. Your Stang will thank you for It!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
It might not be a problem with an 01'-04' hood scoop, but the 99'-04' I wouldn't cut it. Ford designed it that way, and although there's a lot left to be improved on the New edge, aerodynamics is really not one of them. Unless you have some kind of heat producing supercharger, or some kind of extreme heat under the hood, there's no point either. Any decent quality aftermarket cowl/functional street hood scoop is gonna be made to handle the elements too. I'd say resist the erge to do it and wax and detail your car instead. Your Stang will thank you for It!
So a cowl hood wouldn't be a probably with water/snow right?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1
Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
difference though is v6 vs GT....we have that all in one coil off to the side safe from rain...they have cops that like to let water pool up

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post

So a cowl hood wouldn't be a probably with water/snow right?
Depends on what you get. There are two main types of hoods. Bolt-on, and Pin-on. The bolt-on uses the factory hood mounting brackets and the latch. This will close just like your stock hood would. It will have vents in the hood to drain any water towards the front on the engine. (You want a bolt-on hood). For example, google some Cervani cowl hoods and you should see what im talking about. If you get a pin-on like most race cars have, you'll have to remove the hood every time you need access to the engine. And, they are just a big opening where anything (pending on the size of the cowl) could get in there (including Mr. Tinker, your elderly neighbors cat). I'd recommend checking craigslist out and forsale sections on Mustang forums for aftermarket hoods. They can be expensive, I lucked out and found a black (to match my car) Cervani 2000 Cobra R hood for 250.00. Since its not like you absolutely need the hood now, you can wait and hopefully find a decent priced cowl, or what ever style you want. And if you can't wait, check out AmericanMuscle.com. they have good quality hoods, and I think they can paint them now for you as well.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Depends on what you get. There are two main types of hoods. Bolt-on, and Pin-on. The bolt-on uses the factory hood mounting brackets and the latch. This will close just like your stock hood would. It will have vents in the hood to drain any water towards the front on the engine. (You want a bolt-on hood). For example, google some Cervani cowl hoods and you should see what im talking about. If you get a pin-on like most race cars have, you'll have to remove the hood every time you need access to the engine. And, they are just a big opening where anything (pending on the size of the cowl) could get in there (including Mr. Tinker, your elderly neighbors cat). I'd recommend checking craigslist out and forsale sections on Mustang forums for aftermarket hoods. They can be expensive, I lucked out and found a black (to match my car) Cervani 2000 Cobra R hood for 250.00. Since its not like you absolutely need the hood now, you can wait and hopefully find a decent priced cowl, or what ever style you want. And if you can't wait, check out AmericanMuscle.com. they have good quality hoods, and I think they can paint them now for you as well.
Yeah no rush. I have other mods on my list that I wanna do before the hood. Ill keep my eye out for one and you never know if ill find a good price on one. You're lucky, that's a great steal. I've looked on AM also, just not sure what a body shop is gonna quote me for painting one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT