PI Intake Actual HP Gains - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ty98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fremont
Region: California
Posts: 79
PI Intake Actual HP Gains

Hey guys, my 98gt is still all npi and im curious as to whether upgrading just the intake to PI would be worth it. Ive researched around and found people saying you can gain up to 30hp with a tune but ive also seen people say its a worthless mod without the heads/cams, so im kinda confused.. My car is already heavily modded and im pretty sure its been tuned by the previous owner, so would this help me get better hp gains from just the PI intake? If any gains at all?

-PS, a full pi swap is not an option at the moment. Maybe in the future but right now I don't have the time nor the cash...
__________________
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
ty98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fremont
Region: California
Posts: 79
Bump
__________________
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Its worth it if you look at it in the sense you'll be closer to a full pi swap. I would if I were you, you won't feel the power increase due to there being very little of it, but you will be closer to a full swap lol.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
I would say not 30hp but maybe 10-15 with a tune. I have the pi intake and Bama doesn't tune for them so I don't know where you'd get a tune unless a dyno tune.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
It is not a worthless mod without doing the heads, however it will be worth less. It is the PI heads and cams that make 99.44 % of the added HP, the intake was redesigned so as to feed the better flowing PI heads--by itself it will not add much...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
It is not a worthless mod without doing the heads, however it will be worth less. It is the PI heads and cams that make 99.44 % of the added HP, the intake was redesigned so as to feed the better flowing PI heads--by itself it will not add much...
+1k
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,592
Actually the NPI intake is pretty terrible... MHS discovered that the NPI heads are not all that bad and if all you do is the PI intake/Cams you won't be all that far away from the full PI swap... The NPI cams are the biggest culprit out of the 3. I would honestly just do the full PI swap though. Can be done in a weekend no problem and no tune required at all.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
ty98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fremont
Region: California
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Actually the NPI intake is pretty terrible... MHS discovered that the NPI heads are not all that bad and if all you do is the PI intake/Cams you won't be all that far away from the full PI swap... The NPI cams are the biggest culprit out of the 3. I would honestly just do the full PI swap though. Can be done in a weekend no problem and no tune required at all.
I keep hearing that the intake is pretty bad too, so I figured if i could pull out around 15hp by swapping intakes, that it wouldn't be a bad idea..

Would having a tb/plenum combo, cai and a tune increase my chances of gaining hp with only the pi intake?
__________________
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty98gt View Post

I keep hearing that the intake is pretty bad too, so I figured if i could pull out around 15hp by swapping intakes, that it wouldn't be a bad idea..

Would having a tb/plenum combo, cai and a tune increase my chances of gaining hp with only the pi intake?
Minimal gains to say the least. Take it from me and scotty pi swap is the better way to go or atleast swap the ibtake cams of a pi head. I have pi heads and intake much more beneficial to our years since we will put out more hp than a stock 99-04 due to our compression increase from the heads. So instead of the 215hp and 285tq to the fly we go to roughly 285-290hp to the fly and 300+ to possible 400 tq to the fly. Note i said flywheel due to i have yet to dyno mine with all the other goodies i have added on. I would maybe say 250bhp ish for a full pi head swap
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
ty98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fremont
Region: California
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post

Minimal gains to say the least. Take it from me and scotty pi swap is the better way to go or atleast swap the ibtake cams of a pi head. I have pi heads and intake much more beneficial to our years since we will put out more hp than a stock 99-04 due to our compression increase from the heads. So instead of the 215hp and 285tq to the fly we go to roughly 285-290hp to the fly and 300+ to possible 400 tq to the fly. Note i said flywheel due to i have yet to dyno mine with all the other goodies i have added on. I would maybe say 250bhp ish for a full pi head swap
Maybe I should just save for the full swap, or go to back to my original plans to supercharge. I would have done the full pi swap by now, but my car is my dd and its hard to find time for a job like that...only time and money will tell lol

Thanks for the info guys
__________________
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:13 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.