4.6L SOHC swapped to DOHC - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Deibo is unknown around these parts
4.6L SOHC swapped to DOHC

I have an 03 GT. it's a great car and I love it but recently I test drove somebody's Mach 1 and it was amazing. So I'm looking to change out the engine for DOHC. Would it be a simple swap or am I biting off more than what I can chew?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

FanOfSkynyrd is unknown around these parts
There's a thread here on the forums I believe that details someone's 4v swap

Here: 2v to 4v New Edge Swap writeup

Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
because race caaa
Supporter
Staff

silverskoundrel is unknown around these parts
isn't there more to the mach 1 than just the motor?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

2300turboford is unknown around these parts
Brakes interior forged crank on manuals etc
Old 07-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Slow4V is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
isn't there more to the mach 1 than just the motor?
Brembo brakes
Tranny has different ratios
3:55 gears
Tokico struts/shocks
DOHC engine (5spd - Forged Crankshaft )
And other things
Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

MustangGT02 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Brembo brakes
Tranny has different ratios
3:55 gears
Tokico struts/shocks
DOHC engine (5spd - Forged Crankshaft )
And other things
Tranny ratios?? It's a TR3650..
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Staff
Staff

scottydsntknow is just getting started.
Quote:
Brembo brakes Sort of... same PBR style calipers as the Cobras and Bullitt got but the rotors are Brembos
Tranny has different ratiosNope, same TR3650 that all 01.5-04s got minus the Terminator, gear ratios are 1st - 3.38; 2nd - 2.00; 3rd - 1.32; 4th - 1.00; 5th - 0.62; Rev. - 3.38
3:55 gearsCorrect
Tokico struts/shocks Correct but unfortunately they are not adjustable like the Illuminas, its almost an identical setup to the Bullitt suspension
DOHC engine (5spd - Forged Crankshaft )Yep Autos have the cast crank
And other things
Machs also have the specific seats, the specific cluster, Mach rims, some other cosmetic stuff and the biggie is the 4V obviously. The 4V is a very nice motor stock and has a nice head start on the 2V but you have to factor in your conversion cost and what bolt ons you have, what will need to be changed etc... etc... In many cases its cheaper to go 2V and just supercharge it than it is to convert to 4V. You can build a Vortech kit with injectors and intercooler for under $2k easy and that'll max out the internals on either engine because all modulars except the Terminator use the same cast/powdered metal rotating assy rods/pistons.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT02 View Post

Tranny ratios?? It's a TR3650..
5th gear is different

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Quote:

5th gear is different
Well I've read the O/D is a different ratio
Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3817822437.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	119439
Old 07-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Staff
Staff

All tr3650s after mid 2001 have that final drive ratio.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
All tr3650s after mid 2001 have that final drive ratio.
If you read .. Only the mach 1 have that ratio.. It says only *****03-04****** with Factory 3:55 Gears
I don't think GTs came factory with 3:55 gears
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Staff
Staff

Ok you are talking about rear gearset ratios then not transmission ratios. Ford changed the overdrive of all the 5 speeds to .62 in 2001. Yes the Machs and Terminators got 3.55s GTs got 3.27s IIRC. Overdrive is still the same ratio in the transmissions though.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok you are talking about rear gearset ratios then not transmission ratios. Ford changed the overdrive of all the 5 speeds to .62 in 2001. Yes the Machs and Terminators got 3.55s GTs got 3.27s IIRC. Overdrive is still the same ratio in the transmissions though.
Lol did you read the picture I posted ?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Staff
Staff

Yes and its incorrect. After the mid year 01 change they all got .62 overdrives.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Deibo is unknown around these parts
I'm just taking notes. Thank you all for your knowledge.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Staff
Staff

Like I said, would be much easier to just supercharge the 2V. Here's a link to the $1500 Vortech thread.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes...-its-done.html

Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Spiney is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Machs also have the specific seats, the specific cluster, Mach rims, some other cosmetic stuff and the biggie is the 4V obviously. The 4V is a very nice motor stock and has a nice head start on the 2V but you have to factor in your conversion cost and what bolt ons you have, what will need to be changed etc... etc... In many cases its cheaper to go 2V and just supercharge it than it is to convert to 4V. You can build a Vortech kit with injectors and intercooler for under $2k easy and that'll max out the internals on either engine because all modulars except the Terminator use the same cast/powdered metal rotating assy rods/pistons.
Can you fill me in on how I can add a Vortech SC to my 96 SVT Cobra for $2K?

I thought I was looking at more like $4-5K easy.

Thanks, Spiney-Dave

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post

Can you fill me in on how I can add a Vortech SC to my 96 SVT Cobra for $2K?

I thought I was looking at more like $4-5K easy.

Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Sorry, I didn't see the previous post, I'll check it out. Thanks, Dave
Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes and its incorrect. After the mid year 01 change they all got .62 overdrives.
Lol !

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote:

Lol !
Lol no 3:27 come with .67
3:55 Mach 1s only come with .62

Hahahahaha
Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

MustangGT02 is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Lol !

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Lol no 3:27 come with .67
3:55 Mach 1s only come with .62

Hahahahaha
Do you really think Ford would special order a transmission from tremec with that small change in the over drive for the car they made up to keep interest up for the 05 changes....
Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

White03GT is unknown around these parts
That's not right. After 9/2001 the GTs had .62.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #21
Staff
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
That's not right. After 9/2001 the GTs had .62.
Apparently he doesn't believe that for some reason or other. Only the first run of 3650s had a .67 overdrive gear, the rest have the .62 but his reposting of stuff he's read online obviously trumps ppl who actually have experience IRL...

Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

jjsg09 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Like I said, would be much easier to just supercharge the 2V. Here's a link to the $1500 Vortech thread.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes...-its-done.html
I've tried going down this road and It wasn't successful. You can buy everything leading up to a supercharged setup but buying the head unit for cheap becomes a very difficult task. Head units for cheap and in good condition are usually being sold in the $1k area and if it's cheaper than that it's grabbed up before you see it or it's junk and needs a serious rebuild. I searched for two years straight and I gave up with no luck. People selling there kits or parts have caught on to this, I just want to give you a heads up and warn you your gonna be searching not jumping online tonight and finding all of this. I'm also not saying it can't be done but I tried hard to do it.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

White03GT is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Apparently he doesn't believe that for some reason or other. Only the first run of 3650s had a .67 overdrive gear, the rest have the .62 but his reposting of stuff he's read online obviously trumps ppl who actually have experience IRL...
Wasn't this brought up before on ME? I swear ive seen it here somewhere. Oh well, he'll figure it out one way or another lol.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Staff
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
I've tried going down this road and It wasn't successful. You can buy everything leading up to a supercharged setup but buying the head unit for cheap becomes a very difficult task. Head units for cheap and in good condition are usually being sold in the $1k area and if it's cheaper than that it's grabbed up before you see it or it's junk and needs a serious rebuild. I searched for two years straight and I gave up with no luck. People selling there kits or parts have caught on to this, I just want to give you a heads up and warn you your gonna be searching not jumping online tonight and finding all of this. I'm also not saying it can't be done but I tried hard to do it.
Low mileage S trims come up for sale fairly often on the Corral classifieds in the $600-$800 range, a T trim will run a little more. You also honestly don't need an intercooler on a stock motor with a good tune so you can nix that off the list to compensate some of the price a little. On page 37 of that build thread I believe the guy did use a T-Trim and wound up with a $2100 price all said and done with the intercooler and everything. This is still substantially less than you'd pay for a kit from Vortech or a TT kit or a turbo setup.

edit: Here is a current setup from June. Dude fount a good T trim on SVTP for $700. A lot of those prices are OBO and if you are seriously looking for a head unit hitting up all the biggest Mustang forum classifieds is the best way to go. Corral, SVTP, Stangnet, ModularFords, ModdedMustangs etc...

Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

jjsg09 is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Low mileage S trims come up for sale fairly often on the Corral classifieds in the $600-$800 range, a T trim will run a little more. You also honestly don't need an intercooler on a stock motor with a good tune so you can nix that off the list to compensate some of the price a little. On page 37 of that build thread I believe the guy did use a T-Trim and wound up with a $2100 price all said and done with the intercooler and everything. This is still substantially less than you'd pay for a kit from Vortech or a TT kit or a turbo setup.

edit: Here is a current setup from June. Dude fount a good T trim on SVTP for $700. A lot of those prices are OBO and if you are seriously looking for a head unit hitting up all the biggest Mustang forum classifieds is the best way to go. Corral, SVTP, Stangnet, ModularFords, ModdedMustangs etc...
I never could get corral to work every time I tried to post or message someone it wouldnt let me. It would tell me I didn't have access to do those things tried many times to fix it or find a solution to that problem. I gave up on that site. But what I would tell anyone trying to do a build this way, start at buying the head unit first.its the hardest part to get. I was planning on just doing a s trim and non intercooled going for safe 350-380hp. I just never had luck with many sites on getting a fair price on a head unit. Like everyone that was priced under $1k was needing to be rebuilt which would always make just the head unit and rebuild past $1000.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
Staff
Staff

I have no clue what was going on with the Corral and you getting onto it. You registered right? Popup blocker? Not even able to respond in the thread? Weird. I've been posting on there and buying and selling in their classifieds since 2001...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT