PI heads and cams (1996 gt) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Region: Texas
PI heads and cams (1996 gt)

What's the difference between the pi heads and pi cams. Seems like everyone is goin one way or the other. I'm doin the intake and heads right now and wondering if I should do the cams as well. Also thinking of tuning the car myself. Anyone know how that works
Lordsleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you have pi heads with the cams in them just swap them right in. Its better to do tje full pi swap of heads cams and manifold. We gain more out of it due to the compression bump we get from the swap. In perspective we get more hp and tq from this swap on our stock block than a stock pi motor
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You do them both at the same time or if you can only do one you do the cams. NPI cams are where most of the improvements were made, they are effing TERRIBLE cams...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #4

Well where do you recommend I get the cams and which kind?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

A PI swap generally comes off a PI car that was wrecked or upgraded.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Oh well just found out I have the full swap PI set already so guess I'm good.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Is there a difference in any of the pi heads, cams, or intakes? Any difference between the mustang, explorer, crown Vic? Sorry if that's a stupid question. Me and my brother were looking at doing the swap on his 97 gt and was trying to be sure we got the right vehicle. I know the 99-04 mustang and then like the 01 explorer and up and some years of the crown Vic. Not sure right off but is there any differences at all?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Try to get the 03-04. If i remember its a bit better than the previous years and also those stangs have 21 lb injectors stock. Or 03-04 expedition explorer or vic. Not sure on the injectors on those but heads are made a bit better to flow more. Or atleast to my knowledge if i remember correctly they are.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

So they are a little different. I've been doing quite a bit of searching. I'd def like to get the best setup for him. How much do u get with the complete swap and 25lb injectors?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Its 21 lb injectors not 25 lb u dont need 24 lb injectors until you push hard power na wise. With the 21 lb you will get about 255 bhp on a stock motor but its more about the duty cycle from the injectors where its more beneficial since the injectors wont peg out nasty like they did on previous years
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Awesome! Appreciate it. U done the swap urself? Sorry that's what I meant, 21, not 25.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Awesome! Appreciate it. U done the swap urself? Sorry that's what I meant, 21, not 25.
I have the swap done im just still looking for 21 lb injectors. I have the full pi swap from an 03 expedition. I did the swap myself over 5 years ago or so.....so damn long ago lol.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Lol. Ohh u got it from an exposition. I never thought about that. So any 4.6 03-04 marked pi should be good to go?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

In general any pi swap is better than our npi. But i went with 03-04 cause they also dont have the threads stripping from the heads problem with spark plugs blowing out
Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Awesome. Appreciate it brother.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #16

Not to thread-jack but didn't want to open a new thread for a similar question:

If the intake and cams were the weak link in the Non-PI engine (I know the smaller combustion chamber will increase compression, always a nice plus) how effective would it be to keep the Non-PI heads but switch to a PI intake and Stage 2 Comp cams? Would it be more effective to do a PI swap with the Stage 2 cams or would the difference be negligible?

Thanks!
TFH_DeathProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Good question!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Imo it would be more effective to do a pi swap with stage 2 cams. However the difference at that point may be not so much as minimal but more than one may get from npi due to the compression bump.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you're going to port then there is a lot that can be done with the NPI heads. However the NPI blocks not only gain the extra flow of the PI heads, they gain a compression bump which ups power. A NPI swapped PI car will make more power than a straight up PI will. I'd just do the PI swap honestly. Its a weekend job at most and you don't even need a tune. You'll just bolt on a solid 60hp with the PI swap.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you're going to port then there is a lot that can be done with the NPI heads. However the NPI blocks not only gain the extra flow of the PI heads, they gain a compression bump which ups power. A NPI swapped PI car will make more power than a straight up PI will. I'd just do the PI swap honestly. Its a weekend job at most and you don't even need a tune. You'll just bolt on a solid 60hp with the PI swap.
+1
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #21

Alright so the bump in compression really will make that much of a difference when considering NPI heads + PI intake + Stage 2 cams
V.S.
PI heads and intake + stage 2 cams

Very good to know thank you for your input!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

"Stage 2" cams are Comp 270s and may have PTV issues or at least need to be installed a few degrees retarded to avoid it. "Stage 1" are Comp 262s and with the PI heads, PI intake and a NPI block with a good 93 octane tune you'll be over 300whp.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #23

Quote:
"Stage 2" cams are Comp 270s and may have PTV issues or at least need to be installed a few degrees retarded to avoid it. "Stage 1" are Comp 262s and with the PI heads, PI intake and a NPI block with a good 93 octane tune you'll be over 300whp.
Huge thanks for clearing that up! And 300rwhp is actually my goal so that works nicely (it's a fun daily driver, will probably never see a track)

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, if you don't hit 300, you don't hit 300, its just a number and as long as you have fun with it that's really all that matters. One thing you do need to factor in is the cost of a tune when you do cams. A good dyno tune is around the $600 mark so add that to the cost of the cams and figure out if its worth it to you. The PI swap with the PI cams requires ZERO tuning it is literally remove the NPI stuff, replace it with PI stuff, fire the car up, check for leaks and go.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Don't tune it yourself
Aluv4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm actually starting to read on using the Quarterhorse myself... Got a QH for $125 shipped basically new, just gotta drop $50 or so for the software license and hopefully not blow the thing up. Gotta start somewhere...

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Eh, if you don't hit 300, you don't hit 300, its just a number and as long as you have fun with it that's really all that matters. One thing you do need to factor in is the cost of a tune when you do cams. A good dyno tune is around the $600 mark so add that to the cost of the cams and figure out if its worth it to you. The PI swap with the PI cams requires ZERO tuning it is literally remove the NPI stuff, replace it with PI stuff, fire the car up, check for leaks and go.
I totally get you, and yeah for the time being I'll probably just do a straight-PI head swap and see how it feels from there. I currently have 3.73 gears, a CAI, and an off-road X-Pipe (compliments of previous owner) and she's A LOT of fun to drive and sounds vicious 300 is just the number to work towards because I like setting goals, but "feel" (and of course, putting the power to the ground) is always going to come out on top.

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Putting the power to the ground is where its all at. I've said it before, with the 98 in my sig I can outlaunch most things I come across even if they are making a good deal more power than me. Sticky tires, gears and the driver mod make up for a LOT when you are going from a dead stop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT