1998 gt squeal when shifting? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Region: Texas
1998 gt squeal when shifting?

I just recently got the car and I've discovered that when hitting the pedal rather hard and acceleration there is a squeal as it shifts gears? Any help with this problem... The cruise control didn't work when I got it either
josh091221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Stick, auto? If stick does it squeal when you push the clutch pedal in or stop or whatever? If auto have you checked the fluid or done a converter flush/fluid change? Also might be as simple as an old accessory belt that is squealing in the higher RPM range or a failing accessory causing a lot of drag. Need more details.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

Its an automatic and the fluid levels are all good. How would I go about flushing the fluid and replacing? Is that something that cost a lot? And the belt looks fine no cracks or visible wear of age or anything. It has mad a squealing once at a stop light while stopped with brake ingaged... that's only happened once though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh091221 View Post
Its an automatic and the fluid levels are all good. How would I go about flushing the fluid and replacing? Is that something that cost a lot? And the belt looks fine no cracks or visible wear of age or anything. It has mad a squealing once at a stop light while stopped with brake ingaged... that's only happened once though
Best way to flush your trans is too take it to a lube spot or and or car wash places like that its relatively cheap I paid around 50 when I had my 95 stang
JayStang718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #5

Alright ill give that a try!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStang718 View Post
Best way to flush your trans is too take it to a lube spot or and or car wash places like that its relatively cheap I paid around 50 when I had my 95 stang
Yeah if you want an 18 yr old or a tech who wasn't smart enough to get a real mechanic's job to do your fluid change... eff that... Take your car to your local lube/whatever place at your own risk and have them use "bulk oil" and then not change the filter because they are too lazy.

Put the car on ramps, pop the trans pan, drain all the fluid and then if you have an accesss port for the converter drain that too. If not there is a trick to flush the converter once you get it all buttoned back up.

Also, the belt does not have to be cracked or anything to squeal, it might just be stretched. I'd replace the accessory belt first and see if it still does it. Also make sure your accessories aren't all bound up while the belt is off. You would not be the first person to have a gummed up water pump or alt making the belt squeal.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Yeah if you want an 18 yr old or a tech who wasn't smart enough to get a real mechanic's job to do your fluid change... eff that... Take your car to your local lube/whatever place at your own risk and have them use "bulk oil" and then not change the filter because they are too lazy.

Put the car on ramps, pop the trans pan, drain all the fluid and then if you have an accesss port for the converter drain that too. If not there is a trick to flush the converter once you get it all buttoned back up.

Also, the belt does not have to be cracked or anything to squeal, it might just be stretched. I'd replace the accessory belt first and see if it still does it. Also make sure your accessories aren't all bound up while the belt is off. You would not be the first person to have a gummed up water pump or alt making the belt squeal.
Your not even getting all the fluid like that there's still gonna be fluid in the trans smh that's why I told him to take it to the place and your being a stereotype mayb where your at there's little kids doing that but not all places
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Your not even getting all the fluid like that there's still gonna be fluid in the trans smh that's why I told him to take it to the place and your being a stereotype mayb where your at there's little kids doing that but not all places
Most jiffylubes, minekes, etc, etc, hire young kids to work there. How do I know? I'm 18 and have worked there. 80% of the people that worked there didn't really know what they were doing.

To the original poster. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a reputable place.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #9

Alright I'm going to go ahead and get a tune up so ill knock all the stuff out my car is hesitating some at half throttle when accelerating...
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes View Post

Most jiffylubes, minekes, etc, etc, hire young kids to work there. How do I know? I'm 18 and have worked there. 80% of the people that worked there didn't really know what they were doing.

To the original poster. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a reputable place.
Well when I flushed my old stang I took it to one and he knew what he was doing, it actually ended up saving me a trans. Thts all I'm saying
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Alright I'm going to go ahead and get a tune up so ill knock all the stuff out my car is hesitating some at half throttle when accelerating...

From what you are saying, you definitely need to flush the transmission. Your transmission is probably on the verge of going out. I flush my transmission on my 04 mustang every 30,000 miles. If you have never flushed the transmission on an automatic and have over 90,000 on the car, you are damaging your transmission. Flush immediately...
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Some stereotypes exist for a good reason. And by trans flush I mean a full FLUSH (not a drain/fill) till it runs clean so yeah... you are getting all the fluid.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #13

When I check the transmission fluid it is clean? I just recently got the car...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

I don't know is it?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #15

Oh and the sound comes from under the hood I don't really think its transmission related.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I don't know is it?
Yes that's what I'm saying it looks new no dirt in it
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Squealing from under the hood is usually the belts, or the belts rubbing on a pully that is not rotating efficiently.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post
Squealing from under the hood is usually the belts, or the belts rubbing on a pully that is not rotating efficiently.
So I should replace the belt and possibly replace pulleys? Or is that jumping ahead and wasting money?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I should replace the belt and possibly replace pulleys? Or is that jumping ahead and wasting money?
When you shift and your car engages to the next gear, the engine that drives the belt has a jump increase which of course pulls the pullys. The cheapest way to solve the problem is to check your belts. If they are cracked or even if they appear to be worn down (Melted look) without the cracks, this is a sign your pullys are bad. If they are fine, most likely the belt isn't tight enough and when the engine goes the engage after shifting, the pully is rotating faster than the belt can pick up and makes a sqealing sound.

So, pull/rotate the belt around the pully's without the car on. If you can move everything with ease, the belt is loose. If with some force, you can get the belt and pullys to move, then lube the pullys with somethick grease at the bearings.

These two things should do the trick.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Also to help eliviate some tension the engine has which also increases gas mileage, you should think of doing a basic upgrade and add an under engine pully to your car. Parts and labor should run you no more than $375 if having a mechanic do it. This will add another larger pully to the underside of the engine block and a longer belt. It will overall reduce the amount of effort your engine uses to take off as well as reduce gas consumption since your engine won't be working so hard.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post

When you shift and your car engages to the next gear, the engine that drives the belt has a jump increase which of course pulls the pullys. The cheapest way to solve the problem is to check your belts. If they are cracked or even if they appear to be worn down (Melted look) without the cracks, this is a sign your pullys are bad. If they are fine, most likely the belt isn't tight enough and when the engine goes the engage after shifting, the pully is rotating faster than the belt can pick up and makes a sqealing sound.

So, pull/rotate the belt around the pully's without the car on. If you can move everything with ease, the belt is loose. If with some force, you can get the belt and pullys to move, then lube the pullys with somethick grease at the bearings.

These two things should do the trick.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Also to help eliviate some tension the engine has which also increases gas mileage, you should think of doing a basic upgrade and add an under engine pully to your car. Parts and labor should run you no more than $375 if having a mechanic do it. This will add another larger pully to the underside of the engine block and a longer belt. It will overall reduce the amount of effort your engine uses to take off as well as reduce gas consumption since your engine won't be working so hard.
Thanks! That's a lot of great advice and very well explained! I appriciate the help ill try that later and most likely get the bigger pulley installed but where would I have to go to get that done?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT