Car still makes loud noise when going over bumps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Car still makes loud noise when going over bumps

My car was making loud noise open traveling over bumps. I replaced both rear shocks and it got better but there still is a loud noise coming from the passenger rear side. Nothing is hitting the ground although it sounds like it. It takes two people pushing down on the car on that side to make the noise and you can hear it pretty loudly. And if you do the other side the same way it won't make the noise. Idk what else to look at. Any ideas

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

I'll also add it doesn't make noise by myself unless going over a pretty decent bump. But it really made bad noise with 2 300lb guys in the car. I know that's a lot of weight but it still shouldn't make that sound with them over every bump
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Check the rear sway bar links. As well as to look at the control arms to see if any bushings are gone
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Will do. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Mine rattles when I go over bumps, it's an aged car can't have it perfect
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Get under there and use a ruber mallet and hit everything you can that wont break. I found one of my shock bolts were looks. It also could be your exhaust moving and hitting something.
Aluv4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I understand the rattling but the car makes a violent sound as if the car is hitting the ground with people in the car. And when pushed down on the side of the car where it's making the noise it makes the same clunking noise and nothing is hitting the ground. I'm thinking maybe it could be the upper control arm bushing?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonhess View Post
I understand the rattling but the car makes a violent sound as if the car is hitting the ground with people in the car. And when pushed down on the side of the car where it's making the noise it makes the same clunking noise and nothing is hitting the ground. I'm thinking maybe it could be the upper control arm bushing?
Could be where your exhaust goes over the axel. Its very close to where the body of the car is and if it's lowered its even closer.
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I checked and when the car is getting pushed down on the exhaust will touch the axle but only on the bad side. Could that be from a bad control arm bushing because the car will still squeak from that side over small bumps with me in the car and with two guys the exhaust was hitting the axle making the clunking noise.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonhess View Post
I checked and when the car is getting pushed down on the exhaust will touch the axle but only on the bad side. Could that be from a bad control arm bushing because the car will still squeak from that side over small bumps with me in the car and with two guys the exhaust was hitting the axle making the clunking noise.

I had the same issue with my 2000 GT before storing it. I replaced the control arm bushings on both sides as well as replaced both rear shocks/struts. There isn't a problem anymore. Now just trying to get my car to start after 18 months in storage.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT