transmission questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oostburg
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 2
transmission questions

hello, all. im new to working on cars and stuff. i would like to add some hp to my 04 mustang gt. i was wondering how much rwhp my transmission can safely handle. and if i should get a supercharger or turbo?
codester2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by codester2300 View Post
hello, all. im new to working on cars and stuff. i would like to add some hp to my 04 mustang gt. i was wondering how much rwhp my transmission can safely handle. and if i should get a supercharger or turbo?
First of all, WELCOME! Is this beast a 5 speed or auto?
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fred2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alameda
Region: California
Posts: 87
Welcome to the Newbie status.

First, you don't want to supercharge an automatic, maybe turbo it, since an automatic is not a mustang. These are referred to as Pony's. Now the manuels (Mustangs) are great to supercharge.

First, you might want to do some basic upgrades before supercharging or adding a turbo to your ride. afterwhich, you add the supercharger/turbo, and then get it dino tuned. This will optimize the output and efficiency in your vehicle and away you go...... Very sweet...
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oostburg
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 2
it is an automatic. and yes i am doing some other little stuff to it first. but i think the supercharger/turbo (havent decided yet) would be the biggest thing.
codester2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by codester2300 View Post
it is an automatic. and yes i am doing some other little stuff to it first. but i think the supercharger/turbo (havent decided yet) would be the biggest thing.
Start off with some gears (3.73 if your going to turbo IMO), jmod, uca and lca, cai tuner. The basics first. I highly recomend gears and jmod first
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post
Welcome to the Newbie status.

First, you don't want to supercharge an automatic, maybe turbo it, since an automatic is not a mustang. These are referred to as Pony's. Now the manuels (Mustangs) are great to supercharge.

First, you might want to do some basic upgrades before supercharging or adding a turbo to your ride. afterwhich, you add the supercharger/turbo, and then get it dino tuned. This will optimize the output and efficiency in your vehicle and away you go...... Very sweet...
Yeah an automatic is not a real Mustang... I would not turbo a STICK but an Auto is great for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codester2300 View Post
it is an automatic. and yes i am doing some other little stuff to it first. but i think the supercharger/turbo (havent decided yet) would be the biggest thing.
First off, there is NOTHING wrong with owning an auto. All the fastest 1/4 mile cars are autos and your auto can be made plenty fast. Actually from a stop if you are making the same power as a stick car with your auto and have it set up right (aftermarket stall, j-mod) and the right gearing you'll annihilate said stick because of the torque multiplicaton of the stall converter. There is a reason 90% of the big power Terminators are converted to automatic and those cars didn't even come with auto as a factory option.

What you should be doing is first worrying about the bolt ons and getting that automatic trans of yours j-modded. The J-mod how-to video is on youtube, look up "tccoa j-mod" on youtube and its like a 20 minute vid.

Anyway:

-Full tune up
-J-mod
-Mid Pipe/Catback
-4.10s
-CAI/Pullies
-SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION
-2800-3500 RPM stall converter
-93 Octane tune


Then worry about a supercharger/turbo. However the car with the above mods is good for 12s easy.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fred2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alameda
Region: California
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
Start off with some gears (3.73 if your going to turbo IMO), jmod, uca and lca, cai tuner. The basics first. I highly recomend gears and jmod first

Just remember if you are changing your gears, you are sacrificing your overall long run speed. If you can hit 120 on the road, changing gears will require you not to go 120, but a lower overall speed. Otherwise by going 120 with the new gears, you will damage your gears and they will need to be replaced more frequently.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah an automatic is not a real Mustang... I would not turbo a STICK but an Auto is great for both.



First off, there is NOTHING wrong with owning an auto. All the fastest 1/4 mile cars are autos and your auto can be made plenty fast. Actually from a stop if you are making the same power as a stick car with your auto and have it set up right (aftermarket stall, j-mod) and the right gearing you'll annihilate said stick because of the torque multiplicaton of the stall converter. There is a reason 90% of the big power Terminators are converted to automatic and those cars didn't even come with auto as a factory option.

What you should be doing is first worrying about the bolt ons and getting that automatic trans of yours j-modded. The J-mod how-to video is on youtube, look up "tccoa j-mod" on youtube and its like a 20 minute vid.

Anyway:

-Full tune up
-J-mod
-Mid Pipe/Catback
-4.10s
-CAI/Pullies
-SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION
-2800-3500 RPM stall converter
-93 Octane tune


Then worry about a supercharger/turbo. However the car with the above mods is good for 12s easy.

I fully agree with Scotty on this one. You should tune your car to the above modifications. Also, if you want to add an instant 12-17HP to your car, add spin tech exhaust to your car. It almost eliminates the need to add headers to your ride and gives you an amazing growl if you have a V8 and a purrs like a kitten with a V6.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,576
You don't even need to add headers to a 4.6L honestly, the stock manifolds are plenty fine. These manifolds are not like garbage headers that came on the old 5.0s...

Spintechs are nice mufflers too but honestly any aftermarket mufflers flow within 2-3hp of each other if you are looking at it from a power standpoint. I always say get the one that sounds best to you and use youtube to get an idea of what you like.

Oh, and I totally forgot to answer your original question... you are limited to about 400whp give or take but not due to the transmission. Both sticks and autos in 2003 are good for around 500hp but the stock rods in the motor will let go around the 400whp level. Some ppl get away with more, some blow motors at less. I always say 400 as a safe number to tune for.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fred2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alameda
Region: California
Posts: 87
I tried flow masters which were just loud garbage sound. This added only 4-6HP to my 06. I changed to Spin Tech and got a krisp engine sound and got between 12-17HP increase. Also, spin tech exhaust are commonly used in Nascar vehicles. All my mustangs are now equipped with Spin Tech 00GT, 04-40th year edition automatic, 06GT, and 08GT. I am currently looking for an 02 GT to upgrade to.

Scotty you rock...
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post

Just remember if you are changing your gears, you are sacrificing your overall long run speed. If you can hit 120 on the road, changing gears will require you not to go 120, but a lower overall speed. Otherwise by going 120 with the new gears, you will damage your gears and they will need to be replaced more frequently.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

I fully agree with Scotty on this one. You should tune your car to the above modifications. Also, if you want to add an instant 12-17HP to your car, add spin tech exhaust to your car. It almost eliminates the need to add headers to your ride and gives you an amazing growl if you have a V8 and a purrs like a kitten with a V6.
Yes that's why I said 3.73 instead of 4.10, 4.30. Hell 3.55 would be good. Im factoring in his future power adder
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post
I tried flow masters which were just loud garbage sound. This added only 4-6HP to my 06. I changed to Spin Tech and got a krisp engine sound and got between 12-17HP increase. Also, spin tech exhaust are commonly used in Nascar vehicles. All my mustangs are now equipped with Spin Tech 00GT, 04-40th year edition automatic, 06GT, and 08GT. I am currently looking for an 02 GT to upgrade to.

Scotty you rock...
And you strapped the car on a dyno to see how much power you gained from these simple muffler swaps...
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:14 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.