amsoil vs royal purple - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyke View Post

Any claims to back up your findings?

Here is a study that was done just this past June.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

While it is an AMSOIL document all tests were done by third party manufactures. I do not believe everything I read but I have blackstone lab tests from both royal purple and AMSOIL from my turbo IS300.

AMSOIL held its properties thousands of miles longer than Royal Purple.

Ever since Royal Purple went more commercial (IE: Sold in WALMART) the products they sell have went down slightly in quality from there old 2008 stock.
All companies have their claim PDF's. Both are great and you can't go wrong with either.
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #37
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

An oil analysis can tell you a lot a out your car and oil.
True, but not necessary. I would only do this if I was trying to stretch out my oil changes. I use Royal Purple 5W-20 and change it every 5,000 miles. I could probably go longer, but I don't care to. It works out great for me because that means I change my oil and filter twice a year. I don't use Amsoil because I'd have to order it and have it shipped. I buy my RP at O'Reilly auto parts. They have since started carrying the RP oil filters too. It's just more convenient, but I think Amsoil is great. Same with Redline. Mobile 1 synthetic is great oil too. I dont use it because its not true synthetic. Maybe I would try Blackstone Labs on it after 5,000 miles if I used it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #38
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You guys running 15k miles on your oil changes ARE using a top quality filter like a WIX filter right? I will laugh at the first guy who says FRAM.
I wouldn't put anything but Motorcraft on my engine. They are made specific for the mod motors. I've used K&N and Royal Purples oil filters when I'm going to 5,000 miles. I think Ford makes a long life filter, but the Motorcraft filters are great for the mod motors and they aren't expensive.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Fi...ilFilters.aspx
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Have an oil analysis done. It can tell you a lot.
Nyke, it's prob easier to change it
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Well I have built engines. A lot of them. A $20 analyst tells you more about your engine than just the oil. It tells you what components are wearing faster than others.

So.. taking a small vial and shipping it off of your used oil is very easy. Especially if you race it can tell you even more.
Nyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Admit it, come clean, you work for Amsoil, don't you.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Lol no. I work at an oil refinery. So I know my oils lol.
Nyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #43
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
Admit it, come clean, you work for Amsoil, don't you.
Lol
Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
MY 2¢

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130730_031644.png
Views:	205
Size:	745.9 KB
ID:	121249
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #45
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
MY 2¢
Same **** on RP's website. Foolin yourself if you think Amsoil is any better than RP.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/why-rp/
Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Just wondering if you ever tried AMSOIL signature oil before
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #47
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Just wondering if you ever tried AMSOIL signature oil before
I don't see the point. I would never be able to tell the difference in comparing it to any other full synthetic oil. Like I said, I chose RP because it's a great full synthetic oil and it's locally obtained. I'm sure Amsoil is great too. Same with Redline, but it's never in stores where I'm located either. I guess we have more than one Amsoil rep on ME.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I now it's a waist of money my mustang friend for 90% daily driving. But what the hell you only live ones and I fell better and so does my engine he told me.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
You guys running 15k miles on your oil changes ARE using a top quality filter like a WIX filter right? I will laugh at the first guy who says FRAM.
What's wrong with Fram?
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Any claims to back up your findings?

Here is a study that was done just this past June.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

While it is an AMSOIL document all tests were done by third party manufactures. I do not believe everything I read but I have blackstone lab tests from both royal purple and AMSOIL from my turbo IS300.

AMSOIL held its properties thousands of miles longer than Royal Purple.

Ever since Royal Purple went more commercial (IE: Sold in WALMART) the products they sell have went down slightly in quality from there old 2008 stock.
I haven't read the entire post yet so this might have already been said but RP does not authorize the sale of its products at Walmart. They are actually taking legal action against those that do.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88 View Post

What's wrong with Fram?
Lol its the worst filter ever!
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

RP is sold at Walmart?! Never seen it at any Walmart Ive ever been too.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
RP is sold at Walmart?! Never seen it at any Walmart Ive ever been too.
Some independently owned ones try and sell it until they get caught. Lol. I get mine online at a good price. But now I have to use 5w-50 instead of 5w-20 so I have a half case sitting in the garage
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #54
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I now it's a waist of money my mustang friend for 90% daily driving. But what the hell you only live ones and I fell better and so does my engine he told me.
I don't think it's a waste of money, I just don't think it's any better than RP. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either oil.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

Some independently owned ones try and sell it until they get caught. Lol. I get mine online at a good price. But now I have to use 5w-50 instead of 5w-20 do I have a half case sitting in the garage
Gotcha. I buy mine for O'Rielly
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #56
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The Wal Mart by me has it, its not very much more than M1 too. Was not aware they shouldn't be selling it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Wal Mart by me has it, its not very much more than M1 too. Was not aware they shouldn't be selling it.
I bet if you email or call RP they will stop selling it quick
Old 07-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #58
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I've never seen RP sold in stores in my life... My guess is they don't sell in Cali

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I've never seen RP sold in stores in my life... My guess is they don't sell in Cali
In O'Reillys and auto zone
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #60
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

I bet if you email or call RP they will stop selling it quick
Eh I don't see the harm in it other than ppl paying 300% more than they should for oil in their daily.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #61
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Eh I don't see the harm in it other than ppl paying 300% more than they should for oil in their daily.
+1
I've always used Mobil 1, and for filters my dad always used FRAM on our cars. I haven't changed the oil in the Mustang yet, but when i do i sure as hell am not putting FRAM crap in it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

So all this discussion. I talked to the service department and I will be letting them do my oil changes on the boss. They only charge for the oil, filter, and $10 labor fee. I can even bring my own oil and filter and they charge a $15 labor fee. They will only put full synthetic 5w-50 and Motorcraft filter unless I bring others to them. I feel that the engine was built and delivered with that oil so I'm going to continue with that oil. Especially in a race inspired engine. If anything fails it's on them.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #63
Staff
Regular
Staff

Make sure you have a senior tech do it. It may seem menial for the tech or overkill to request it but my father in law is a 26 year A tech at Honda and he has some oil change horror stories. They all involve the junior/starter techs doing oil and either being lazy, not using the right oil, wrong weight, not enough etc... I would be leery of believing him but I've seen just as stupid of **** working on aircraft... He is more than happy to take the labor for the oil change since it takes him all of 5 minutes on the lift while he's doing everything else. Dude usually logs 90+ hours of shop time per week and only really works about 50 hrs in actual time.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Make sure you have a senior tech do it. It may seem menial for the tech or overkill to request it but my father in law is a 26 year A tech at Honda and he has some oil change horror stories. They all involve the junior/starter techs doing oil and either being lazy, not using the right oil, wrong weight, not enough etc... I would be leery of believing him but I've seen just as stupid of **** working on aircraft... He is more than happy to take the labor for the oil change since it takes him all of 5 minutes on the lift while he's doing everything else. Dude usually logs 90+ hours of shop time per week and only really works about 50 hrs in actual time.
Good advice bro. Really thanks. I've never trusted anyone on my car. But with this boss, I want to keep up with all the records for the future and if anything goes a stray it'll be on Ford.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #65
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah with a car worth that much money/value you pay the stealership to do it and I'd actually go talk to some of the techs and see if you can get a feel for who is really good and who isn't. Find a tech you like and have him do ALL the work to it.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah with a car worth that much money/value you pay the stealership to do it and I'd actually go talk to some of the techs and see if you can get a feel for who is really good and who isn't. Find a tech you like and have him do ALL the work to it.
I've talked with a few of them recently. But I can tell the newbies in the crowd lol. The dealer I deal with carries and services a lot of performance mustangs. I'm sure they only let certain ppl work on them but I will definitely request a senior tech.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #67
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
The ONE time that I let our local Ford dealership change my oil was a disaster. Lol They let a young newb change my oil "because he loves Mustangs and was excited to change it" and the boob forgot to put the filler cap back on. IMO, the service rep should have caught that and it would not have been an issue to the customer. I had oil all over my driver side engine bay and the hood pad was soaked. I was so pissed because it was such a simple thing to miss. I have a service plan with them and they did great on my transmission warranty swap last fall and then this happened. I cleaned the mess up myself because they did a *****ty job, but I made them replace my hood pad. So I agree, even when you gain trust with them, you still need to be watchful and request top service techs respectfully.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

The ONE time that I let our local Ford dealership change my oil was a disaster. Lol They let a young newb change my oil "because he loves Mustangs and was excited to change it" and the boob forgot to put the filler cap back on. IMO, the service rep should have caught that and it would not have been an issue to the customer. I had oil all over my driver side engine bay and the hood pad was soaked. I was so pissed because it was such a simple thing to miss. I have a service plan with them and they did great on my transmission warranty swap last fall and then this happened. I cleaned the mess up myself because they did a *****ty job, but I made them replace my hood pad. So I agree, even when you gain trust with them, you still need to be watchful and request top service techs respectfully.
The big problem with these newer lube techs is they don't really give a rats *** about the customers car, I have the great joy of trying to train those guys how to do their job correctly. When I work on what is clearly a well taken care of car then I try my best not to make a mess in/on/around it. You can always ask to watch them do the oil change on your car. That's what I would do if I took my car in for service.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #69
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
The big problem with these newer lube techs is they don't really give a rats *** about the customers car, I have the great joy of trying to train those guys how to do their job correctly. When I work on what is clearly a well taken care of car then I try my best not to make a mess in/on/around it. You can always ask to watch them do the oil change on your car. That's what I would do if I took my car in for service.
This kid was heartbroken though. He truly did care, but was a true noob too. I blame their trainer and the service rep. Both should be checking in during the service and performing a post check together before the customer gets the car. I gave the service manager a really hard time about their process and that they let this kid down. It's hard to say if they will take that event and use it to work on their process.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

This kid was heartbroken though. He truly did care, but was a true noob too. I blame their trainer and the service rep. Both should be checking in during the service and performing a post check together before the customer gets the car. I gave the service manager a really hard time about their process and that they let this kid down. It's hard to say if they will take that event and use it to work on their process.
It's possible that they tried to change anything, but more than likely the kid just got a stern talking to and that's it. Most advisors just put their faith in the person performing their service nowadays even though it doesn't help cover their *** very much. Though I will say this, if I was an advisor and I tried to double check every single car that I wrote up and had a tech work on, then I would never get anything else done. I do agree that the trainer could have done a better job at trying to train that guy, I make sure that all my trainees learn to put their oil cap on the hood latch so that they know somethings wrong when the hood won't close right.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT