2004 gt serious electrical problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Region: California
2004 gt serious electrical problems

hey guys,
so yesterday I went to go install some indiglo gauges on my 04 gt not knowing that I didn't have all the stuff I needed to wire it all together but I pulled the solid brown wire behind the headlight/dimmer switch (it came out fine) and I just ended up having to put it back in for the day so I could have my gauges but my headlights don't work know... ive checked the fuses. replaced the switch and looked for a bad ground or wire and it all looks fine.

now onto what happened today... car started and drove just fine like normal (just replaced the clutch last week too) and I went to go take a crack at the headlights again checking all fuses, in the engine bay and under the driver dash... still didn't find anything. went to go start the car and it started but died almost instantly.. did that a couple times and now it just wont start at all but turns over fine so its getting spark and air of course.

fuel pump went bad? is the only thing I can think of because the ifs reset button in the trunk didn't pop so its not that... an sugestions?

thanks for listening,
brandon
brandon151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Well it sounds like to me you might have something (wire) grounding out?

If you think it might be the fuel pump going bad as it starts to die have a second person with a rubber mallet tap on the fuel tank where the pump is at. (this is a quick check) if it starts to run for a bit while tapping on the fuel pump area. Then your pump is going bad.

The other step is to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure at the fuel line goin into the fuel rail.

Good luck. I hope your back on the road soon.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

The fuel pump is fine now... Car randomly just wasn't starting, don't know why. But as far as the headlights I'm stuck, the brown wire behind the switch is the one for the headlights and corner lights right? Well that wire has no current going through it and my hids have no power going to them...

So maybe that wire is bad but my fogs and corner lights come on and there are no blown fuses but fuse f2.38 under the dash doesn't light up(but its not blown)when I touch it neither do a bunch of others that I don't know what they go to.

I guess there a vendors that sell new wiring kits for the back of the headlight switch/dimmer would that be something I should replace?
brandon151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Check ALL your grounds. The main ground on these cars is on the driver's side, its a metal strap that goes from the driver's side motor mount to the frame and VERY prone to rust/corrosion. I replaced mine with a 4 gauge battery cable on BOTH sides so both motor mounts have a grounding cable now. There are other grounds like the points behind the headlights but the motor mount ground is the main one.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Also, some vehicles were equipped with "fuse wire". These wires are just like a normal wire, but act as a fuse to prevent any type of electrical fires within the vehicle. They are a pain in the a%# to replace. If you didn't connect something and it blew out, that would be why you're not getting power readings from the brown connector. Also, while testing the brown connector, make sure the lights are in the on position. They will always read no power if the headlight switch is in the off position.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT