air conditioning working intermittently on 2000 GT - why? how to fix? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
air conditioning working intermittently on 2000 GT - why? how to fix?

The A/C on my 2000 GT with only 55k miles is working intermittently. In extreme hot weather the A/C compressor doesn't kick on.

I am thinking either the low pressure sensor switch (Is this the same as the A/C cycling switch) is either dying, or the system is low on R134a refrigerant.

How can I test the system to see if it is low on refrigerant? How can I fill it with more? What pressure should the system be at?
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had the exact same problem. The hotter the weather, the hotter the A/C felt in my 2000 GT. I purchased the Artic Cool R134a refrigerant from a Walmart ($15 Cheaper than auto store). It comes with the nozzle and pressure gauge to make sure you don't add too much into the system. Just follow directions on label and fill until it is green. Also, before using it, you can connect the nozzle gauge to the port and see how low the pressure is. If it shows green, you have another issue, if it shows yellow, you need refrigerant. Also keep in mind that mileage doesn't determine R134a length of use. You generally need to refill the R134a within every 5-6 years to keep it fresh and cool. Anything after 6 years, the R134a dissapates and isn't as affective as it was years ago. So put some more R134a into that good looking ride.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Also, Artic Cool is the coldest Refrigerant out in the market. Trust me, it feels great.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Here is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ref.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	121404  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I need some of that. My AC needs to be recharged.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hopefully Walmart in Canada has that.

Did your compressor only come on sometimes though? That is the issue I am really having.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The A/C compressor won't kick in if there isn't enough refrigerant in the system. It needs an adiquit amount of pressure (R134a) to run. After adding it in, my compressor kicked back on and wa-la, cool crisp air. Even colder than when I first purchased the car.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post
I had the exact same problem. The hotter the weather, the hotter the A/C felt in my 2000 GT. I purchased the Artic Cool R134a refrigerant from a Walmart ($15 Cheaper than auto store). It comes with the nozzle and pressure gauge to make sure you don't add too much into the system. Just follow directions on label and fill until it is green. Also, before using it, you can connect the nozzle gauge to the port and see how low the pressure is. If it shows green, you have another issue, if it shows yellow, you need refrigerant. Also keep in mind that mileage doesn't determine R134a length of use. You generally need to refill the R134a within every 5-6 years to keep it fresh and cool. Anything after 6 years, the R134a dissapates and isn't as affective as it was years ago. So put some more R134a into that good looking ride.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Also, Artic Cool is the coldest Refrigerant out in the market. Trust me, it feels great.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

R-134a doesn't have a "life span". It's either pure or not. If it contains air in it it above 3% of the entire system then you must evacuate the entire system and recharge. If you are undercharged by alot then the low pressure switch won't allow the compressor to kick on because oil is circulated in the refrigerant and could oil starve it and damage the compressor. Best thing to do is find a buddy with a manifold gauge set and check the static pressures and then the pressures with the system on. Be cautious of overcharging, that will cause poor cooling and abnormally high pressures on both sides of the system.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
R-134a doesn't have a "life span". It's either pure or not. If it contains air in it it above 3% of the entire system then you must evacuate the entire system and recharge. If you are undercharged by alot then the low pressure switch won't allow the compressor to kick on because oil is circulated in the refrigerant and could oil starve it and damage the compressor. Best thing to do is find a buddy with a manifold gauge set and check the static pressures and then the pressures with the system on. Be cautious of overcharging, that will cause poor cooling and abnormally high pressures on both sides of the system.

On the contrary, R134a does have a life span. In refrigerators, it has a max span of 14 years before it is no longer useful. in vehicles, due to smaller canister needed, it has a life span of about 7-8 years before it is no longer useful.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Oh, and sorry for the mix up, its Artic Freeze. LOL
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

On the contrary, R134a does have a life span. In refrigerators, it has a max span of 14 years before it is no longer useful. in vehicles, due to smaller canister needed, it has a life span of about 7-8 years before it is no longer useful.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Oh, and sorry for the mix up, its Artic Freeze. LOL
I've never heard or seen that. A link to that would be very insightful. Refrigerant is constantly recovered and reused when performing an ac service, the only thing affecting if it is reused is if the mixture is no longer pure, and is contaminated with air.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've never heard or seen that. A link to that would be very insightful. Refrigerant is constantly recovered and reused when performing an ac service, the only thing affecting if it is reused is if the mixture is no longer pure, and is contaminated with air.
I can try to find a link for you if you'd like. But I learned that in regrigeration repair school for Home A/C's and refrigerators. They discussed how refrigerant works and the types used. I was tired of paying over $500 to recharge my cars A/C everytime so I took some classes.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can try to find a link for you if you'd like. But I learned that in regrigeration repair school for Home A/C's and refrigerators. They discussed how refrigerant works and the types used. I was tired of paying over $500 to recharge my cars A/C everytime so I took some classes.
I ask because I'm A7 certified and no where was a life span discussed. The only thing related to the life span was purity on the certification test.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I ask because I'm A7 certified and no where was a life span discussed. The only thing related to the life span was purity on the certification test.

That is true... But the topic came up and the instructor gave us that information. Where he got it, IDK. But i wasn't going to debate with him with over 25+ years doing A/C repairs. LOL I will call him up sometime this week to see where he might have got those figures?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That is true... But the topic came up and the instructor gave us that information. Where he got it, IDK. But i wasn't going to debate with him with over 25+ years doing A/C repairs. LOL I will call him up sometime this week to see where he might have got those figures?
Do as you please. I've just never heard or seen that for automotive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT