Rough/low idle and slight jerking when driving - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Rough/low idle and slight jerking when driving

A little back story first. I bought a 03 Mustang GT a few months ago. After purchasing I noticed a misfire. It turned out to be multiple misfires being a plug and coil issue. So I took care of the misfires. I then noticed coolant leaking from the thermostat housing. I have since replaced the thermostat and the gasket and stopped the leak. I noticed a leak out of the oil filter housing gasket and so I replace the gasket and took care of the leak. The car is now running royal purple engine oil and 93 octane fuel with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner.
NOW THE NEW PROBLEM
Since I have owned the car I have noticed a low idle(between 500-600rpm). I thought the misfires were causing the issue and since they have been fixed the idle has not changed. I have unplugged the battery to let the computer learn a new idle and that has not worked. Occasional when on the highway the car will give a slight "jerk". A few times coming off the highway I have pushed the clutch in and the car has dropped rpm so low it has stalled out while still in motion but starts right back up when I turn the key.
The mustang is a 2003 gt 4.6L V8 with an aftermarket pro-m cold air intake. I still use the mass air flow meter. BBK headers. Flow master exhaust. I have a code in the comp for an o2 sensor and I have replaced the o2 sensor with a motor craft one and it does not want to read. Could a bad/ un-reading o2 sensor cause these issues? Is anyone having similar issues?Any help would be much appreciated!
Clingman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I remember a while back I was looking through posts to find why my 02 V6 was jerking when I gave it gas, I read somewhere someone said a bad O2 sensor would cause that, my guess is, if you have a good coil pack, wires and spark plugs and you have that problem then most likely it is the bad O2 sensor you're talking about

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

I forgot to add, the source of my problem was a bad coil pack, as I read in most of the posts I went through
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Clean your MAF and IAC
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #4

I've got a new o2 sensor in it just isn't reading and I can't figure out why? I will clean the MAF sensor and IAC and see if it helps. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Which o2 sensor, upstream or downstream, pass or drivers side
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #6

Downstream drivers side
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Maybe previous owner had the downstream sensors turned off in a custom tune
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #8

I have an OBDII code reader that bluetooths live data to my phone. It reads that the other 3 o2 sensors are reading and sending data to my device but the driver side downstream o2 sensor reads nothing. Stays flat at 0. Ill be pulling wires checking for freying or bad connections.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I had the same problem but mine were due to me needing new spark plugs once I changed them my car ran strong again, but your situation i would go the routes as stated above.
Gobabygo67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT