Interior car volume !!!!!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Interior car volume !!!!!!!!

This is my first 5 speed 4.6L GT. had and automatic 86 stang and a camaro LT1 and an 86 firebird but this mustang is LOUD! Im talking.. Can hardly talk to the person next to you loud.

I'm hoping this is normal because its over 2... Maybe 3 times louder than any car I've been in. It has cams and headers and 410 gears (ran high 12s im told) but I'm hoping its not something else. It doesn't really sound like exhaust noise but rather a fighter jet winding up and it's throughout the whole car.. Not just behind be at the tail pipes. Is this typical of a car like this? Am I just not used to that kind of power?

Or.... Is there something in the drivetrain that could be winding up and vibrating the whole car while I drive? The shifting feels normal (except for the fact that the car always wants to take off and really does not like to be driven slow)

It's something I'm not used to that's for sure! What do you guys think?
Headleshorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Do you have carpet? Lol. Idk why it wouldnt muffle the sound. I was going to ask what exhaust setup you have but you said its not an exhaust sound...
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headleshorseman View Post
This is my first 5 speed 4.6L GT. had and automatic 86 stang and a camaro LT1 and an 86 firebird but this mustang is LOUD! Im talking.. Can hardly talk to the person next to you loud.

I'm hoping this is normal because its over 2... Maybe 3 times louder than any car I've been in. It has cams and headers and 410 gears (ran high 12s im told) but I'm hoping its not something else. It doesn't really sound like exhaust noise but rather a fighter jet winding up and it's throughout the whole car.. Not just behind be at the tail pipes. Is this typical of a car like this? Am I just not used to that kind of power?

Or.... Is there something in the drivetrain that could be winding up and vibrating the whole car while I drive? The shifting feels normal (except for the fact that the car always wants to take off and really does not like to be driven slow)

It's something I'm not used to that's for sure! What do you guys think?
Does it vibrate? Could be loud tires or bent driveshaft..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It has headers and flow master exhaust. It has a nice open sound. It has carpet yes. And It sort of vibrates but it could just be all the power. It's not a long wobbly vibration feeling... It's fast like ummm.. An electric toothbrush only a low low frequency sound. No vibration in the steering wheel but i feel it throughout the entire car. I'm hoping its just power.

With the cam in it... I can't run my AC or it will stall at idle. And when I was experiencing the vibration I had the air (not ac) on and the amount of air coming out of my vents was reacting with my throttle. More throttle.. More air.

These are probably not relevant to my question but figured I'd mention it.

I know the guy who owned the car before the guy I purchased it from. I'm hoping to meet up with him so he can drive it and reassure me that its normal (fingers crossed!)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The sound is probably just how mustangs with exhausts sound. The idle issue though... Clean your IAC and check to make sure your battery is charging
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
The sound is probably just how mustangs with exhausts sound. The idle issue though... Clean your IAC and check to make sure your battery is charging
I will do that. The sound while cruzing in 4th is well above speaking volume. Is that normal? Sorry if this is a dumb question.. And I don't mind the volume at all... I just want to make sure the car is working properly since I just purchased it today.

And it seems odd that the sound is through the entire car... Not just behind me. But again I'm not used to this type of car yet
Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yeah, that's the engine/exhaust drone. You probably have aftermarket mufflers/catbacks
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Yeah, that's the engine/exhaust drone. You probably have aftermarket mufflers/catbacks
Ok cool ! Ill sleep better tonight! Appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just had it out for another drive and it still seems odd the way it sounds. It sounds unrelated to my engine. The faster I go the louder it gets. For example I'm doing 60 and the sound is there.. I rev my engine and the engine sound changes but that other sound stays the same. Even if I put it in N and coast with my foot off the gas and the rpm not moving I still hear the sound and it quiets and winds down as the car slows down. I don't really really notice it until around 60 km/hr.

Could this be the way 410s sound ? Or could it be my rear end gears having a problem? Maybe the gear oil is low?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Is it a metallic noise? The shop that did the install may have installed them wrong.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Kinda how it works higher rpm louder it'll be. Maybe just to new 4.6 is louder than your previous cars.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Change tranny fluid maybe.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Jack up the rearend and spin the wheels and listen for any strange sounds. Or a wheel that doesn't spin as freely as the other. My car was making the EXACT noise that you just described and it turned out to be an axle bearing was bad.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine made that noise and it was the carrier bearings. Had the rear end rebuilt
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Is it like a hum? Gets louder the faster you go and goes away when slowing?
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPonyGT View Post
Is it like a hum? Gets louder the faster you go and goes away when slowing?
Exactly. And it's separate from my engine rpms
Haven't tried it yet but I think if I get going at around 60 and kill the engine the sound would probably be still there. Might try that tomorrow.

Unless you guys think I could do damage by driving it?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Id figure out where the noise is coming from and get it fixed asap. In my case, the bad bearing took out the axle. I ended up rebuilding the entire rearend. It's never good to ignore loud noises that your car is making...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The more u drive the more metal will end up in your gears.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ill be taking it in to the shop in Tuesday. Ill post here when I get a diagnosis. But you guys think the sound is likely the rear end eh?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
From reading the posts it sounds like your gears. I had bad gears in my rear dif on my 90 gt and it would whine like crazy starting at about 20 mph and get louder the faster I went. Could also be a bad bearing, does the noise stop when you let off the gas?
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post
From reading the posts it sounds like your gears. I had bad gears in my rear dif on my 90 gt and it would whine like crazy starting at about 20 mph and get louder the faster I went. Could also be a bad bearing, does the noise stop when you let off the gas?
Noise continues even with the gas off.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headleshorseman View Post

Noise continues even with the gas off.
My thought is a wheel bearing I had one go bad and I was like a very defined hum and I'd put if the clutch and coast and I narrowed it down to the front left changed it no more hum
Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah if the noise is continuous ill bet its a bearing. Jack up each wheel and shake the wheel and if its got some play in it then thats the one, most likely a front
Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah if the noise is continuous ill bet its a bearing. Jack up each wheel and shake the wheel and if its got some play in it then thats the one, most likely a front
+1
Old 08-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is there a difference in a wheel bearing and an axel bearing? Or is that the same deal? I don't feel much vibration while driving its just the sound that I notice.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Is there I difference in a wheel bearing and an axel bearing? I don't feel any vibration while driving... It's just the sound I notice
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
This situation sounds the same as mine from last month. A c-clip fell out and the gears crushed it. The metal shavings ruined a wheel bearing and the seal leaked. I changed both seals and bearings, an axle, both c-clips, s-spring (that was broken), and gear oil.

I did the repair myself and saved around $800. Spent $250. It took a lot of time to figure out some of the repair.
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Just had it checked out. Front wheel bearing! Now it's sounds great... Still loud with the headers and flowmaster catback but now it's all engine sound. LOVING IT! Thanks for the advise guys.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome man! Enjoy the smooth roar of the 4.6 now that you don't have to hear an annoying bearing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT