'98 4.6 clean and reassemble! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
'98 4.6 clean and reassemble!

I'm now onto the cleaning and reassembly stage of my 4.6. I have 2 blocks, and I'm taking the best of both blocks, cleaning them and putting them in. My second block will be bored out and all forged internals done. work in progress forsure, but im Not sure if i should go with a pi swap on the second block. It's gonna boost my compression and that i dont want since I'll be boosting that once it's done. But I'll be posting pics of the reassemble when i get there. For now though it's all about cleaning and replacing worn parts. Piston rings, bearings, and the like.

How much can the stock crank handle?

Thanks for the info, and any questions or ideas or Anything, let me know! Thanks again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1253555802.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	645.6 KB
ID:	121801  
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Do the PI swap just purchase dished pistons. You also can buy flat tops and have them machined and dished to lower the compressions
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
+1, On doing the PI swap. Easier to do now, and you'd be kicking yourself for not doing later. Like what was stated, just get some dished pistons if your that concerned about the compression ratio; but it won't raise it a ton. Now if your gonna put different cams in it, that's when you want to check the PTV clearence first. You might need to get dished or atleast cut for valve clearance. Just my .02

Oh and a stock crank you're probably looking at around 450 hp give or take a few ponies. The weak link in these 2V 4.6's really was the rods. Just my .02

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
+1, On doing the PI swap. Easier to do now, and you'd be kicking yourself for not doing later. Like what was stated, just get some dished pistons if your that concerned about the compression ratio; but it won't raise it a ton. Now if your gonna put different cams in it, that's when you want to check the PTV clearence first. You might need to get dished or atleast cut for valve clearance. Just my .02

Oh and a stock crank you're probably looking at around 450 hp give or take a few ponies. The weak link in these 2V 4.6's really was the rods. Just my .02
Thanks man. Have any info on what i should replace while I'm in there? Both engines have over 100k on them so I'm thinking on what i should replace to keep things running good until i go forged internals and boosted. I think i will get the pi heads though. Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post

Thanks man. Have any info on what i should replace while I'm in there? Both engines have over 100k on them so I'm thinking on what i should replace to keep things running good until i go forged internals and boosted. I think i will get the pi heads though. Thanks
No problem! Obviously get all new gaskets. It's up to you, but I'd get ARP bolts. DO NOT reuse the stock head bolts. They are TTY or Torque To Yield, and can only be used once. Anything that looks worn (Bearings, rings..etc...etc) as well. Check the cylinder walls too, make sure they look good. Hone it if needed. I know you're planning on forging it In the future, but unless you know specifically when that is (if you're like me I've been saying I was gonna built a forged 2v for that last 4 years) , go ahead and do it since you're there anyways. And post some pics as you go along. It would be cool to follow

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No problem! Obviously get all new gaskets. It's up to you, but I'd get ARP bolts. DO NOT reuse the stock head bolts. They are TTY or Torque To Yield, and can only be used once. Anything that looks worn (Bearings, rings..etc...etc) as well. Check the cylinder walls too, make sure they look good. Hone it if needed. I know you're planning on forging it In the future, but unless you know specifically when that is (if you're like me I've been saying I was gonna built a forged 2v for that last 4 years) , go ahead and do it since you're there anyways. And post some pics as you go along. It would be cool to follow
I have the second block to go forged with so I'm just building up the first block to put in the stang and get it running. The walls Are a tad bit charred but other than that they look good, so i think I'll get that cleaned out and swap out bearings. The rings are pretty worn as well but I'm on a bit of a budget so i need to find a place that sells them pretty cheap or else i wont swap them out. I have all the gaskets I'll need to reassemble it so at least I'm there. I've heard mixed ideas about the head bolts. Some people have just over torqued them and they were fine but others say if it's tty then i Need to get new bolts. If i over torque them a bit i should be fine but i dont know if i want to chance it ya know?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have the second block to go forged with so I'm just building up the first block to put in the stang and get it running. The walls Are a tad bit charred but other than that they look good, so i think I'll get that cleaned out and swap out bearings. The rings are pretty worn as well but I'm on a bit of a budget so i need to find a place that sells them pretty cheap or else i wont swap them out. I have all the gaskets I'll need to reassemble it so at least I'm there. I've heard mixed ideas about the head bolts. Some people have just over torqued them and they were fine but others say if it's tty then i Need to get new bolts. If i over torque them a bit i should be fine but i dont know if i want to chance it ya know?
Id get some pre cut rings, but i haven't priced them, so i dont know what they run. If the bores look good, the rings might be okay too. As long as you never ran it dry, usually the rings are fine on a 4.6. If you re-use, Just make sure you put them back where they came out of. Well it a minimum get new tty bolts. The threads get stretched too much to over torque, and are not as strong. Last thing you need is a warped head, cracked block, or worse. Its cheap insurance. I wouldn't reuse them on my worst enemy's car! Lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Id get some pre cut rings, but i haven't priced them, so i dont know what they run. If the bores look good, the rings might be okay too. As long as you never ran it dry, usually the rings are fine on a 4.6. If you re-use, Just make sure you put them back where they came out of. Well it a minimum get new tty bolts. The threads get stretched too much to over torque, and are not as strong. Last thing you need is a warped head, cracked block, or worse. Its cheap insurance. I wouldn't reuse them on my worst enemy's car! Lol
Yea your right.. I might as well spend the little extra money to get them. Thanks a ton man!!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No prob! Have fun with it!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It'll just be good to wake up the Italian Stallion after a year of being asleep!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It'll just be good to wake up the Italian Stallion after a year of being asleep!
Lol I know the feeling. My 00' GT sat for 6 months while I tried to rebuild the 4.6, after a rod decided it wanted to travel and see the world........

***resident gun idiot***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT