Spark plug blew out - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Spark plug blew out

Driving to airport # 5 spark plug blew out. Had Ford Dealer do repair to threads.Now car is misfiring on that cylinder and has low compression. also now have ticking noise on that head.Car has no power and runs rough/stalls . What are my best options next? Engine has about 95 k on it now. All ideas appreciated.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Burn ford dealer to ground. No but take it back they messed up.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
How low is the compression on that cylinder? Did you do a wet compression test to determine if it was the rings or valves causing the low compression?

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Take it back to them. If anything you could swap a motor.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The plug is probably leaking causing the misfire. Very common with heli coils. Do you know what they did to the car? Timesert? I am in the process of buying new heads because of this same issue. In the mean time I used jbweld high heat to keep the plug from backing out.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had one blow and the shop i took it too fixed it and i still have a misfire but not sure if its from that

Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone . I did take it back. But was told , that they could not guaranty that the repair would work.stated ford recommended replacing the head, instead of doing repair to the thread. I guess i will start to look for another engine.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd01gt View Post
Thanks everyone . I did take it back. But was told , that they could not guaranty that the repair would work.stated ford recommended replacing the head, instead of doing repair to the thread. I guess i will start to look for another engine.
Did they tell you that before they did the repair?

Did you sign anything acknowledging that they told you that?

If not, then what you have is a very good small claims court case--they should not have done something they were not confident would work. If this was an actual Ford dealer then you are in even better shape because you had a legitimate expectation that they were competent to perform the repair they offered...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

Did they tell you that before they did the repair?

Did you sign anything acknowledging that they told you that?

If not, then what you have is a very good small claims court case--they should not have done something they were not confident would work. If this was an actual Ford dealer then you are in even better shape because you had a legitimate expectation that they were competent to perform the repair they offered...
+1! I know we would've lost our *** on this deal
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
+1! I know we would've lost our *** on this deal
thanks for the info everyone. Yes, i thought about small claim court. Here it will cost me about $180 to file a claim. If i win, i can only get what i was charged to do the repair $300. Which means after, i pay filing fee,Sheriff fee, i end up with only getting a net $120 and the process is slow to get to court 4-6 weeks. then it can be continue several times after that. . I am just going to take the loss and replace the engine.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
How low is the compression on that cylinder? Did you do a wet compression test to determine if it was the rings or valves causing the low compression?
Hi, yes, and it was the valves causing the low compression. Just going to buy another engine. thanks for all the help and info.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you have to replace the head it would be a good time to upgrade heads if that was an option for you

Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If your shortblock is good just upgrade yourself to a new set of Romeo 8 thread heads. No need to do a whole new engine if yours was running fine before the plug blowout.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd01gt View Post
thanks for the info everyone. Yes, i thought about small claim court. Here it will cost me about $180 to file a claim. If i win, i can only get what i was charged to do the repair $300. Which means after, i pay filing fee,Sheriff fee, i end up with only getting a net $120 and the process is slow to get to court 4-6 weeks. then it can be continue several times after that. . I am just going to take the loss and replace the engine.
In small claims court, you recoup all damages + expenses + interest.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If your shortblock is good just upgrade yourself to a new set of Romeo 8 thread heads. No need to do a whole new engine if yours was running fine before the plug blowout.
ok, what years was the 8 thread Romeo heads? and about how much is the labor cost for the type of job? i don't have the mechanical skills or space to do the work myself. so everything will be done by a shop. around here the average shop labor is $80/ hr.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
All new PI heads are the 8 thread castings. They are 2004 and up tho if you are looking used. Going to be some asspain on the install price if you aren't doing it yourself.... get quotes on the heads and also on dropping in a good running used engine and see what is cheaper honestly.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT