automatic transmission questions 1998 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Region: California
Question automatic transmission questions 1998 mustang gt

Hello there..

Im looking at trading one of my car's. For 1998 mustang gt that has transmission issue's.

The guy said this on his ad "" bought my Mustang GT About 3 to 4 months ago and was going to fix it but now I just don't have the time and money I just recently change oil oil filter transmission fluid transmission filter and also the transmission pan gasket couple days ago. It's a clean title and only has 149598miles but does have front end damage and the Transmission starting to slip threw. First and second gear..100%stock engine runs strong" "

My question would be. Think needs more fluid. Or torque. Converter? Or could the band's be loose?

He told me the old filter was laying in pan all broken. When he replaced it.

I would much rather swap in manual transmissio . Swap but wont be able too for awhile, and i need the car be drivable quick for commutin . To work.

I wanted post it for some other ideas on what problem could be before. I make trade and end up spending tons of cash on it.

I own 1995 mustang gt 5.0 five speed also. Really like these cars and been wanting 1998. Looking pick it up this next week so if anyone csn detail me with some information id appreciate it.

Ive done some research about the transmissio . Already and have. Decent. Idea, thought see if anyone. Had similar issue

Also. Can i pull transmission Out. Any other cars and use it with the stang?
Would a 97 ford expedition 4.6l transmission Work? I thinking since its 4x4 it wouldnt work, but i can get one.for free so i thought id fine out.

Sorry if i repeate . My self

Y95stang posted by lg optimus pro smartphone.

y95stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Florida
My opinion is check the tranny for fluid. Have it run for about 15 min then while engine is running check fluids on tranny. If u decide to swap tranny u could use that time to throw in long tubes lol but u have could use a crown vic or a expedition one. The 4wd is separate from the tranny since it uses a transfer box

1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Region: California
Oh nice i did forget bout that. Transfer case being seperate. ..nice to know.. since i have buddy thats bout to junk his expedition.

I talked to the guy today and he said he put 4 and half quarts in when he filled it up after he changed filter an. Gasket... from what ive read and read in my repair manual thats not enough. . I know i put at least 6 quarts in my station wagon witch is automatic 3.8l v6.

Thanks for the help.
y95stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Region: Texas
Hello, I need help or confirmation. I have a 1998 Mustang Gt with a bad automatic transmission. I believe I found a replacement, but not sure if it is compatible. the one I found is from a 2000 mustang Gt. Will the 2000 mustang tranny fit my 98 mustang?? Please help!!
jmore76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

1998 mustang