Yet another car buying thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yet another car buying thread

I've been doing some research as to what would be best for me. If you have kept up with my previous thread I was getting my third engine on my black gt. I got the engine in now i'm having tranny problems but I'm not gonna go in to detail about that.

I need a car for work and hate having to depend on rides from my sister or dad for work while this car gets going, I have lost faith and it's time to get something else.

I've seen plenty of threads of people asking for advice between 03-04 cobras and 99-04 gt's and from what I've noticed those were years ago and was hoping to get some updated knowledge.

I'm planning on getting an 03 GT or an 04 terminator. Was planning on gunning for a S197 gt but none in a good price range that are taken care of or they're auto want a 5 speed again and time is a factor.

I've always wanted a supercharged car and this may be my chance. So a quick direct question anyone on here 21 years or younger have a 03-04 cobra? What's your insurance like? I know if you're asking you can't afford it but just thought i'd ask. My insurance for my 01 gt vert and my dads 08 f150 full cov is $270/month.

Am I looking for a big increase? I hate to sounds like a p*ss* but thinking of owning a terminator scares me. To the general public it's just another mustang but for people that know an 03-04 cobra is a different animal. fastest car i've driven is my mangers 05 procharged vette but even then it was up and down a dead street. and I was launching at 2nd cause i didn't wanna do anything stupid.

I'm an information sponge when it comes to these cars but what i lack is real life driving experience of one. forums everywhere of terminator owners seem of the older crowd and some young people of course too and even they say they can be brutal to handle cause it's pretty much a lot hp and tq at your disposal.

one more thing, i'd be financing the car too and on a thread i read financing a 10 year old can be a bad thing because it's an older vehicle that's pricey. guess i'm just over thinking it but it's gonna be a car I'll be having for a while.

I'm a speed head and have depended on traffic lawyers to get me out of some bad ones.

some quick specs

03 gt black on black 87k miles 5 speed 7k. clean tittle of course
no pics of that one yet

04 cobra 90k miles 17k clean tittle too. pics shown below

sorry for the rant. gt more affordable but same old same old, terminator something completely different and more $$

any input would be nice, thanks

pics are cobra, the vette i drove and my current gt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	term.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	895.8 KB
ID:	122046  
02 F150 FX4 silver- (Sold)
98 F150 4x4 white- (Sold)
02 GT mineral gray 1st car stock - (Sold)
mikehailey02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
The GT is 10k cheaper with less miles. You could get the GT and use that extra money you would've spent on the termi for a supercharger/turbocharger and plenty of other mods. But then again the termi is one of my dream cars and I'd pull the trigger on one if I could afford it. All up to what you wanna spend the money on man. Insurance would be a little higher on the termi though.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Best bet on insurance is call your current insurance company and ask what it would be. Anything else is just a guess.

IMO, if you are daily driving an 03-04 Cobra, your just throwing money out the door (unless you buy a severely beaten one). If you have a DD and can garage the Cobra for weekends and nice days, then go for it if you can afford it.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If you've never had a GT .. Don't get a terminator you will kill yourself , start with a GT first
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If u plan on using the terminator as a DD don't do it, it has to many miles on it. If not and u have another ride offer him little bit less than 17k, but if u need this car to get to places like work and groceries and don't have another way of transportation go with the gt
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
The GT is 10k cheaper with less miles. You could get the GT and use that extra money you would've spent on the termi for a supercharger/turbocharger and plenty of other mods. But then again the termi is one of my dream cars and I'd pull the trigger on one if I could afford it. All up to what you wanna spend the money on man. Insurance would be a little higher on the termi though.
true that, i've seen lots of cars on here built and make good power but like you i've always wanted a terminator. guess i'd hate to have to go more time without a car if i ever did wanna build plus there aren't many good shops in my area i've heard some horror stories and i've been burned bad before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Best bet on insurance is call your current insurance company and ask what it would be. Anything else is just a guess.

IMO, if you are daily driving an 03-04 Cobra, your just throwing money out the door (unless you buy a severely beaten one). If you have a DD and can garage the Cobra for weekends and nice days, then go for it if you can afford it.

yeah there's def not garage room for it and it would be a DD for me. guess it's that rough for DD huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
If you've never had a GT .. Don't get a terminator you will kill yourself , start with a GT first
I've owned 3 new edge gt's and Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
If u plan on using the terminator as a DD don't do it, it has to many miles on it. If not and u have another ride offer him little bit less than 17k, but if u need this car to get to places like work and groceries and don't have another way of transportation go with the gt

you guys are def giving me doubts about the terminator as a DD I'll try to get some pics of the GT tonight.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehailey02gt View Post

yeah there's def not garage room for it and it would be a DD for me. guess it's that rough for DD huh?
Mainly just sad to see a Cobra sit outside.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mainly just sad to see a Cobra sit outside.
i see what you mean. I've been reading a couple of more threads on other forums saying they are not bad dd's but i'd hate to leave the car just out there.

you have a beautiful mach 1 by the way, extremely clean. guess i'm just a bit tired of the same 4.6 2v.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

true that, i've seen lots of cars on here built and make good power but like you i've always wanted a terminator. guess i'd hate to have to go more time without a car if i ever did wanna build plus there aren't many good shops in my area i've heard some horror stories and i've been burned bad before

you guys are def giving me doubts about the terminator as a DD I'll try to get some pics of the GT tonight.
well wat I'm saying is u need a ride, don't pay 17k on a car that u need to go to places that has nearly 100k Miles on it, it would be different if it had lower miles, ur ganna need something reliable not something that has 100k miles and is supercharged lol, 17k with 100k miles is silly for a car that u need, if u have something to fall back on now that's different, u should buy the hell out of the termi
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Yeah man I understand. We both want termi's but sometimes you just gotta go with what's more affordable and reasonable at the time. I'm young and I know I still have plenty of time to get a termi later on. Right now I use my GT as my DD.. I'm enjoying it and having fun modding it.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't see the problem with DD'ing a terminator with 100K miles. They're built to last just like all these Subaru's and Evo's at 100K+ miles that are still alive and kicking. I've got a buddy with an 04 Cobra sitting at 102K and 500whp and it drives just fine. There's no point in going with another 2V since you've already had plenty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130805_154345.png
Views:	89
Size:	627.9 KB
ID:	122115  
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Sounds like you pay a lot for insurance. I have a 07 CRV, '11 WRX, 00 GT vert all with full coverage and I also have a '01 Corolla with liability only. I'm 26 and pay $176/month for all 4 of the vehicles.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Get a Mach! Or a pre 03 cobra.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

i see what you mean. I've been reading a couple of more threads on other forums saying they are not bad dd's but i'd hate to leave the car just out there.

you have a beautiful mach 1 by the way, extremely clean. guess i'm just a bit tired of the same 4.6 2v.
Thanks! No doubt it would be a great DD. You would just be crying every time a storm passed over and nowhere for her to be safe. Mine is my DD, but I am lucky, I can leaver her in the garage on those bad weather days.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
For a DD? If you do a lot of driving in traffic I'd seriously get an auto. The automatic PI cars are actually pretty good and the automatic transmissions in them are ridiculous cheap to upgrade and hold a good amount of power. The 2004 automatics are REALLY good and stock 04 transmission (4r75w) are known to hold over 700 ft lbs...

However, if you have your heart set on a Termi... don't build up a GT to be like a Termi if you can just buy a Termi... You'll spend just as much money on the GT in the end and it'll be worth no more than it was when it was stock. This is my dilemma right now with mine honestly. I can do all this craziness to it or I can just DD it and buy a Terminator which is already done. The Terminator is the ultimate Mustang prior to the 07 Shelby and arguably ever. It is one of those "I should have bought one new when I was XYZ age" like dudes now paying six figures+ for old muscle cars at auto auctions.

And you can DD a Terminator, dude at my work is 23 and has a yellow 2003 he drives every day into work. It isn't as high of mileage but still. You can also look at older Cobras too... or a Mach. You can get a REALLY low mileage clean mach for the price of that Cobra you posted.

Ugh, tired and starting to rant... bed...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

first off, thanks everyone for your input, it really does help and I'm glad i started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
well wat I'm saying is u need a ride, don't pay 17k on a car that u need to go to places that has nearly 100k Miles on it, it would be different if it had lower miles, ur ganna need something reliable not something that has 100k miles and is supercharged lol, 17k with 100k miles is silly for a car that u need, if u have something to fall back on now that's different, u should buy the hell out of the termi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Yeah man I understand. We both want termi's but sometimes you just gotta go with what's more affordable and reasonable at the time. I'm young and I know I still have plenty of time to get a termi later on. Right now I use my GT as my DD.. I'm enjoying it and having fun modding it.

I appreciate your guy's post, ya'll have given me a lot to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
I don't see the problem with DD'ing a terminator with 100K miles. They're built to last just like all these Subaru's and Evo's at 100K+ miles that are still alive and kicking. I've got a buddy with an 04 Cobra sitting at 102K and 500whp and it drives just fine. There's no point in going with another 2V since you've already had plenty.
not gonna lie, this was something i wanted to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
Sounds like you pay a lot for insurance. I have a 07 CRV, '11 WRX, 00 GT vert all with full coverage and I also have a '01 Corolla with liability only. I'm 26 and pay $176/month for all 4 of the vehicles.
Yeah i do, correct me if I'm wrong but insurance rates drop after 25? I just turned 21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
Get a Mach! Or a pre 03 cobra.
Machs are awesome but none in my area or just really high mileage 160K + ones for similar prices here and although I have respect for the all cobras I'm thinking if i have the honest chance to get a terminator I should.

Quote:
Thanks! No doubt it would be a great DD. You would just be crying every time a storm passed over and nowhere for her to be safe. Mine is my DD, but I am lucky, I can leaver her in the garage on those bad weather days.
agreed I'd feel bad about bad weather but I don't think it would hold me back from getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For a DD? If you do a lot of driving in traffic I'd seriously get an auto. The automatic PI cars are actually pretty good and the automatic transmissions in them are ridiculous cheap to upgrade and hold a good amount of power. The 2004 automatics are REALLY good and stock 04 transmission (4r75w) are known to hold over 700 ft lbs...

However, if you have your heart set on a Termi... don't build up a GT to be like a Termi if you can just buy a Termi... You'll spend just as much money on the GT in the end and it'll be worth no more than it was when it was stock. This is my dilemma right now with mine honestly. I can do all this craziness to it or I can just DD it and buy a Terminator which is already done. The Terminator is the ultimate Mustang prior to the 07 Shelby and arguably ever. It is one of those "I should have bought one new when I was XYZ age" like dudes now paying six figures+ for old muscle cars at auto auctions.

And you can DD a Terminator, dude at my work is 23 and has a yellow 2003 he drives every day into work. It isn't as high of mileage but still. You can also look at older Cobras too... or a Mach. You can get a REALLY low mileage clean mach for the price of that Cobra you posted.

Ugh, tired and starting to rant... bed...
I appreciate your post very knowledgeable responses from you in all threads I have started. I have really no traffic for work commutes it's all highway and my current car is auto and I'm bored of the same for 2+ years, auto for me would really disappoint. I miss stick shift like crazy. and agreed I do not want to go into the hassle of building a gt to terminator specs I'd rather have a car ready to roll I have no intentions of serious mods until later down the road when power hunger strikes. i'm confident the current power of a terminator would suffice

---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

I hope I have not sounded like a pri*k or offended anyone sounding stubborn or immature. Everyone's opinion has influenced me in some way and I thank you guys, really.

Tomorrow I'll be test driving both cars and will be making a decision by next Friday. I'll try to get some new pics and keep an eye out for some mach's.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehailey02gt
first off, thanks everyone for your input, it really does help and I'm glad i started this thread

I appreciate your guy's post, ya'll have given me a lot to think about.

not gonna lie, this was something i wanted to hear!

Yeah i do, correct me if I'm wrong but insurance rates drop after 25? I just turned 21.

Machs are awesome but none in my area or just really high mileage 160K + ones for similar prices here and although I have respect for the all cobras I'm thinking if i have the honest chance to get a terminator I should.

agreed I'd feel bad about bad weather but I don't think it would hold me back from getting it.

I appreciate your post very knowledgeable responses from you in all threads I have started. I have really no traffic for work commutes it's all highway and my current car is auto and I'm bored of the same for 2+ years, auto for me would really disappoint. I miss stick shift like crazy. and agreed I do not want to go into the hassle of building a gt to terminator specs I'd rather have a car ready to roll I have no intentions of serious mods until later down the road when power hunger strikes. i'm confident the current power of a terminator would suffice

---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

I hope I have not sounded like a pri*k or offended anyone sounding stubborn or immature. Everyone's opinion has influenced me in some way and I thank you guys, really.

Tomorrow I'll be test driving both cars and will be making a decision by next Friday. I'll try to get some new pics and keep an eye out for some mach's.
Make sure to tell us what u pick!!! Even though we all know it'll be the termi , and u will know it once u test drive it lol
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck man. Keep us updated!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You only live once... get the Terminator.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
You only live once... get the Terminator.
^ what this guy said!!!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT