Best place to buy HID's for my 2000 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Question Best place to buy HID's for my 2000 GT

As the title says, I am looking to buy HID's for my 2000 GT and I am unsure where the best place to get them is. I have seen numerous websites online, with different prices and bulbs but I am looking for a reliable source and one that, preferably isn't to expensive. If anyone has any advice on this please let me know.
Bill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A lot of people on here like ddm tuning.. They're pretty cheap and a good product.. That's where I'll be getting mine
Dpred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would highly recommend http://www.hidextra.com/, I have boughten them for all the car in my house and they are super reliable and come with a year warranty, they are just priced a little on the high side but really worth it!!
03gteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well I love ddm...lifetime warranty is a nice plus...vvme is also decent same lifetime warranty. Although I've run ddm for years and never had a ballast fail lol

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone try these?
Ford Mustang HID Xenon Headlight Package Deal

Also does any one have DDM website? I thought I found it, but it looked like it was for all bmw stuff.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's the right sight just go to the hid page and pick out the right set up
Dpred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36 View Post
Anyone try these?
Ford Mustang HID Xenon Headlight Package Deal

Also does any one have DDM website? I thought I found it, but it looked like it was for all bmw stuff.
DDM is pretty good... bang for your buck. A lot of dealers offer lifetime warranties so I wouldn't stress on that.

If you want german manufactured roughly 100-140.00 shipped, go here:

Quality Xenon HID Kits - HID Conversion Kit - FREE Shipping & Best Prices | HidKitXenonLights.com

I don't know what your budget is but these are quality design with integration from all the big players into one setup. They have a lifetime warranty as well.
SOLD: '06 Pontiac GTO(M6)
"I cheated on GM with Ford... Don't tell Dodge!"
dj_fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Well I love ddm...lifetime warranty is a nice plus...vvme is also decent same lifetime warranty. Although I've run ddm for years and never had a ballast fail lol
I used VVME. They suck for warranty. I have just been ordering Bi xenon kits from eBay. As long as you do your research you shouldn't have a problem. I've paid as low as $46 and have had the kits for over a year with no problems.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gteddy View Post
I would highly recommend HID Kits by HIDeXtra - Premier Performance Lighting, I have boughten them for all the car in my house and they are super reliable and come with a year warranty, they are just priced a little on the high side but really worth it!!
Question about this site. I noticed that my car needs the 9007. Well they have the 9007 High/Low and the Bi-xenon light. What is the difference between the two and which one should I buy? Also I would like to get the fog lights HID also. What bulb is that?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You want a bi-xenon kit or you could end up with a halogen high beam. Order a 9007-3 kit and the HID capacitors to prevent any strobing or error codes you may get.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The hi/low kit means that the high been is a regular and only the low beam is an HID, and the bi xenon means both the high and low are HID . I would recommend the bi xenon but its up to you. Are the fog lights stock?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not too sure about the fog lights. Pull a bulb and look at the number. But most likely an 880 series bulb or an H1. Order kit accordingly. Personally I wouldn't even bother wit the fog lights because the hi/low beams will be plenty of light.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The hi/low kit means that the high been is a regular and only the low beam is an HID, and the bi xenon means both the high and low are HID . I would recommend the bi xenon but its up to you. Are the fog lights stock?
Yes, the fog lights are stock and I will stick with Bi Xenon lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post
Not too sure about the fog lights. Pull a bulb and look at the number. But most likely an 880 series bulb or an H1. Order kit accordingly. Personally I wouldn't even bother wit the fog lights because the hi/low beams will be plenty of light.
I understand that the high and low beams will provide plenty of light, but its more for a matter of looks than actual visibility. The fog lights are obviously not an essential to have right away, but in time it would be something I would be interested in.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It should be 899 then but I would double check them before ordering but in pretty sure it's a 899! And yea bi xenon is the way to go
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It should be 899 then but I would double check them before ordering but in pretty sure it's a 899! And yea bi xenon is the way to go
Bulb number 899 for my fog lights? Just want to verify that's what you meant lol
Old 08-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea here's the link http://www.hidextra.com/899/?sort=bestselling
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea here's the link 899 HID Kits
Ok great thanks!

Now my next question for everyone. How hard is it to install these? I am having some doubts about the ballasts that I will have to mount somewhere.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Beware of HIDs and actually being able to see in these cars. I have HIDs in mine installed by the previous owner and they suck a bag of dicks at night. Hotspots all over the place and crap coverage. I had regular old Silverstars in my 95 Cobra and I could see MUCH better with them and I honestly think they looked better too. Will be ditching them shortly I think...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Beware of HIDs and actually being able to see in these cars. I have HIDs in mine installed by the previous owner and they suck a bag of dicks at night. Hotspots all over the place and crap coverage. I had regular old Silverstars in my 95 Cobra and I could see MUCH better with them and I honestly think they looked better too. Will be ditching them shortly I think...
Really? Thanks. Do you know what kind of HID's the previous owner had in there? Just curious what they were. I am interested in the 6,000K. I've heard some of the different colors are more for show and not visibility.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36 View Post

Really? Thanks. Do you know what kind of HID's the previous owner had in there? Just curious what they were. I am interested in the 6,000K. I've heard some of the different colors are more for show and not visibility.
6000k is the color temperature. 8000k are good too. But the higher the number the less lumens the light puts out. And as for the HiD'd sucking a bag of dicks it could be from the factory lenses which I doubt or the other possibility is he didn't wire them right. Meaning the hi beam and low beam will look like ****. I had that problem and had to switch pins in the plug that connects to the factory headlight. Made a world of difference. My low beams light up the turn signs on a hiway for over a mile away. If i use the hi beams I could almost tell which way I had to turn. Lol.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
6000k is the color temperature. 8000k are good too. But the higher the number the less lumens the light puts out. And as for the HiD'd sucking a bag of dicks it could be from the factory lenses which I doubt or the other possibility is he didn't wire them right. Meaning the hi beam and low beam will look like ****. I had that problem and had to switch pins in the plug that connects to the factory headlight. Made a world of difference. My low beams light up the turn signs on a hiway for over a mile away. If i use the hi beams I could almost tell which way I had to turn. Lol.
Lol ok well I won't let that turn me away from them. I've always wanted them in my car.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i've run HIDs in every mustang i've owned and it's like a week 1 mod...best thing a person can do lol. just make sure to aim them low. you can still see fine without bothering others :Good:

Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, from personal experience the silverstar bulbs let you see way better, at least in a SN95. Stock bulbs are crap but the Silverstar headlights are one of those things you'd think is a gimmick but they aren'.t Super holy effing balls brightass white lights. To each their own though. These are 4000k ones in brand new Cobra housings and definitely wired right. I'll play around with the aiming some more but that won't cure the hotspots. This is why I never put them in my 95 Cobra. Although the 4000k HIDs do look cool with an Atlantic Blue car, still... with driving in when its still dark in the morning I'm probably going to go to back to the Silverstars.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Does the wattage on the ballasts make that much of a difference? My friend claims that his 55W are way better than the 35W and helped his HID's be much brighter.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eh, from personal experience the silverstar bulbs let you see way better, at least in a SN95. Stock bulbs are crap but the Silverstar headlights are one of those things you'd think is a gimmick but they aren'.t Super holy effing balls brightass white lights. To each their own though. These are 4000k ones in brand new Cobra housings and definitely wired right. I'll play around with the aiming some more but that won't cure the hotspots. This is why I never put them in my 95 Cobra. Although the 4000k HIDs do look cool with an Atlantic Blue car, still... with driving in when its still dark in the morning I'm probably going to go to back to the Silverstars.
Um. 4000k bulbs would have been almost yellow. 3000k are yellow like fog light yellow. So if you didn't like them I can understand why. I would never buy a 4000k bulb. 5500k is closest to the silverstars but even a 5500k will still be a yellow white. 6000k are pure white.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I have both 35w and 55w kits. Both are just as bright. And the silverstars might be comparable to my 10000k bulbs which is like 2-3000 lumens. But my 6000k a silverstar could never match that light quality.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Um. 4000k bulbs would have been almost yellow. 3000k are yellow like fog light yellow. So if you didn't like them I can understand why. I would never buy a 4000k bulb. 5500k is closest to the silverstars but even a 5500k will still be a yellow white. 6000k are pure white.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I have both 35w and 55w kits. Both are just as bright. And the silverstars might be comparable to my 10000k bulbs which is like 2-3000 lumens. But my 6000k a silverstar could never match that light quality.
So I should be fine with the 35W? Anything is going to be better than these stock lights I'm running. Just want to get whats the best.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

35watts are good enough and beside 55 watts makes the light distort the color
Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
35watts are good enough and beside 55 watts makes the light distort the color
Ok great! Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Eh, you probably have a better kit than I do, I haven't messed with lighting in these minus just bulb/housing changes. Like I said the PO did it to mine and he was the one who had the car for 4 months between me and the guy who knew wtf he was doing. All this guy did was HIDs, a stereo that wasn't wired right and take it through a car was that tore up some paint on the S281 wing. Lol then he bought a beautifully running 400whp C5 Corvette that he drove like an ******* and spent the money I paid him for the car on a new HCI for it when it was already ridiculously fast. I'd bet money he either wrecked it or had to sell it lol.

All I am saying is that I had 0 issues seeing at night with my silverstars and that was on dark backroads with no streetlights and trees. I'll go inspect my HIDs a little better and see wth they actually are and maybe try them with 6k "bulbs" but I'm not holding out any hope. I'd rather spend the money on more go-fast parts and pieces for my Teksid. Or for whatever car I get if I have to sell this one because of my knee...

Old 08-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i've run the ZXE series of sylvania which is even brighter then the ultras...still can't touch my 35w HID kit for less money. To be honest i think either you had a crap kit, a bulb that had something on the outside of it, or not aimed at all. However if you prefer halogens that's perfectly fine, but in any sn95 i've seen with HIDs the output is just as amazing as new edges.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm going to aim mine better and see what happens. I'm driving it more now that the weather has been really nice and its dark in the mornings when I go to work so I'd kind of like to see better without having to pay for anything lol.

Ha I feel like a noobsauce but never really worried about it before. Just put regular bulbs in and went. Just need to find a 4mm wrench to get down in there...

If they still suck I'm going to go back to the Silverstars.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm going to aim mine better and see what happens. I'm driving it more now that the weather has been really nice and its dark in the mornings when I go to work so I'd kind of like to see better without having to pay for anything lol.

Ha I feel like a noobsauce but never really worried about it before. Just put regular bulbs in and went. Just need to find a 4mm wrench to get down in there...

If they still suck I'm going to go back to the Silverstars.
Check that the hi and low beams aren't crossed cause that will sure make it fu€ky for you too.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly the guy before me seemed like one of those ppl who knew just enough to **** everything he touched up... the guy before HIM was awesome but luckily the guy who did the HIDs/stereo only had the car for 4 months. You know, I never even looked but the goddam hi beams might be crossed... when I turn the hi beams on I can't see ****, I just go back to the HIDs on a dark road lol. I really never even looked because I have almost never driven the car in the dark and never in the rain so its never been an issue till now that I go to work earlier and its still dark out.

On my 95 Cobra when I hit the hi beams it lit up everything, I had those housings dialed in though... Hmmm, more to gander at... I might be selling the car soon tho, just had ANOTHER followup on my left knee yesterday... progressive arthritis and cartilage loss. Wife is actually pushing me to sell it and then buy an automatic next year...

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly the guy before me seemed like one of those ppl who knew just enough to **** everything he touched up... the guy before HIM was awesome but luckily the guy who did the HIDs/stereo only had the car for 4 months. You know, I never even looked but the goddam hi beams might be crossed... when I turn the hi beams on I can't see ****, I just go back to the HIDs on a dark road lol. I really never even looked because I have almost never driven the car in the dark and never in the rain so its never been an issue till now that I go to work earlier and its still dark out.

On my 95 Cobra when I hit the hi beams it lit up everything, I had those housings dialed in though... Hmmm, more to gander at... I might be selling the car soon tho, just had ANOTHER followup on my left knee yesterday... progressive arthritis and cartilage loss. Wife is actually pushing me to sell it and then buy an automatic next year...
Good luck with the knee, but hopefully you can get the HID situation figured out if you decide to keep the car!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm probably going to sell it, hell I might list it when I get home... Would be a lot harder to sell it in the wintertime so if I'm going to do it I might as well do it meow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT