5.0 swap into 98gt help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Region: Florida
5.0 swap into 98gt help

I'm getting a 95 5.0 dirt cheap and I want to swap it into my 98 gt, what am I going to have to swap over from the 5.0 onto my 98. If I could get a break down from someone I would greatly appreciate it. Please an thank you
RecklessRichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Why would you swap it?
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Because I have a 2v and I don't plan on building the motor to boost it and they are **** for n/a. The 5.0 is cheaper to build for n/a and it will go right into my gt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRichy View Post
I'm getting a 95 5.0 dirt cheap and I want to swap it into my 98 gt, what am I going to have to swap over from the 5.0 onto my 98. If I could get a break down from someone I would greatly appreciate it. Please an thank you
There's a lot of things and/or work you'll need to do. k-member, and conversion wiring, etc.

You'd probably be better off going carb'd imo.

JUST GET A 347!!
SOLD: '06 Pontiac GTO(M6)
"I cheated on GM with Ford... Don't tell Dodge!"
dj_fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Because I have a 2v and I don't plan on building the motor to boost it and they are **** for n/a. The 5.0 is cheaper to build for n/a and it will go right into my gt.
You can hit low 12s high 11s on a n/a 2v set up right.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it might be cheaper to build, but to get to the point of building is expensive
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

I have a aftermarket k member right now and the 5.0 I'm getting is in good condition but it's a convertible and I hate verts. I've read a lot about the 5.0 an everyone seems to agree they're better for n/a an a lot cheaper to build then a 4.6 2v, I have a 351w I was planning to put in but that's later down the road. My 2v is slowly taking a **** so in the mean time I wanna drop the 5.0 in.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a aftermarket k member right now and the 5.0 I'm getting is in good condition but it's a convertible and I hate verts. I've read a lot about the 5.0 an everyone seems to agree they're better for n/a an a lot cheaper to build then a 4.6 2v, I have a 351w I was planning to put in but that's later down the road. My 2v is slowly taking a **** so in the mean time I wanna drop the 5.0 in.
Looks like you've already made up your mind, do it and take pics!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

I know I could change the heads put a small cam and some bolt ons and I can get about 320tq and 280hp probably more depending on what I went with

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

I've never done a swap lol I don't know what I need from the 5.0 to do the swap
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know I could change the heads put a small cam and some bolt ons and I can get about 320tq and 280hp probably more depending on what I went with

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

I've never done a swap lol I don't know what I need from the 5.0 to do the swap
you can start by researching different forums and websites, get a 5.0 engine manual for specified year, if you're replacing with aftermarket parts on the spot look for the ones that fit and interchange them along the way, you might as well build what you can on the engine while it's out, then proceed with the drop in.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
K member, bellhousing if you are using the transmission out of your current Mustang, trans mount if you are swapping the transmission out of the donor car, computer and harness. Also, I know on the 99-04 cars they have a returnless fuel system where as the Fox cars have a return-style system, so to be honest I'm not sure if when sn-95's went from the 5.0 to the 4.6 if they also switched the fuel system or kept the return-style system or had the returnless from the start. Might have to do some research on that and get back to you.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #12

I really appreciate it! Yeah actually the 5.0 is auto so if I can get a mount to us my 98 gt's t45 with the 5.0 ill do that. Will all the brake stuff will hook right up to the 5.0?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
K member, bellhousing if you are using the transmission out of your current Mustang, trans mount if you are swapping the transmission out of the donor car, computer and harness. Also, I know on the 99-04 cars they have a returnless fuel system where as the Fox cars have a return-style system, so to be honest I'm not sure if when sn-95's went from the 5.0 to the 4.6 if they also switched the fuel system or kept the return-style system or had the returnless from the start. Might have to do some research on that and get back to you.
Return fuel system up until 98, 99-04 it's all return less. Just letting you know
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #14

Thanks man, will the t45 work with the 5.0 ?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Thanks man, will the t45 work with the 5.0 ?
No it won't, t45 has a different bolt pattern and the bellhousings are integrated like an auto.

You also need to swap the ENTIRE fuel system from your 5.0 car into your 98 including the tank, rails, lines etc... The ENTIRE wiring harness needs swapped from the ECU to the underdash to the engine harness to the body harness. Also obviously will need to swap the electronics, clusters, probably some other stuff too. What else... Well obviously a good T-5 for your trans and I'm forgetting a bunch more.

Really your BEST option is to sell both cars and buy a clean 5.0 and just go from there. Also it is not really any more money to build a 351 based motor starting from scratch.

Also if you live in an emissions state you are going to have a hell of a time getting through inspection with an OBDII car and an OBDI system in it. Unless you converted to an Explorer setup but that's even MORE headaches and totally not worth it.

Like I said, just sell both and buy a clean running 5.0 and don't mess with the swap. What exactly is wrong with the 5.0 you have besides it being a vert anyway?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #16

Why do I have to change the gas tank? I can understand fuel rails but why all of it...I can pick up a used t5 cheap. I want the motor in my 98 because I just had it painted and I'm the second owner to the car. No one is going to know I changed the motor so I don't think I'm gunna have to worry about the emissions I live in Florida btw, I don't know when that comes into play either.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You have to change the fuel system because 1998 is a bastard year where they were transitioning to the 99-up stuff. Its a 99 style tank with a one off return system, 98 specific fuel rails etc.. etc...

And still from personal experience you are going to spend more money doing this swap and go through more trouble/headaches than if you just sold the 5.0 and modded the 2V. You do realize that if you just do a PI swap and a set of cams/tune you'll be over 300whp right? I agree the 5.0 is a better platform when you are staying NA but only if you are going 351. Basic 5.0 vs 4.6 really is a wash. When you start spending the $$$ its also going to equal out to about the same whether you go built boosted 4.6L or a stroked 408w. I've been to this rodeo many times for many years lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #18

I didn't know it was that complicated lol I really want a notch fox but I don't think anyone would trade my 98 for one.. I really appreciate the help though I'm still in the learning process

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT