Just a quick tranny question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Just a quick tranny question

Where does it tell me what type of transmission i have? I know throughout the years they changed them around but i got my stang from a guy who dropped in a 98 v8 into a 96 v6. So any markings or etchings i can check to see what i have? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You either have a T45 or 3650. Probably a T45 if it came out of a 98 but they are interchangeable. Look up pics on google of both transmissions (do NOT google "tranny" actually type transmission...) and see which one you have. If you can't tell from underneath for whatever reason pull your shifter bezel and take a pic of the shifter. The t-45 uses the same shifter as the t-5, the 3650 will look different.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have my engine out and the transmission is just chilling right there but I'll take a look. It's a 5 spd manual so would that narrow it down? But thanks man. Dont need to be looking up trannies now so I'll stay away from that lol
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
I have my engine out and the transmission is just chilling right there but I'll take a look. It's a 5 spd manual so would that narrow it down? But thanks man. Dont need to be looking up trannies now so I'll stay away from that lol
Its probably a t45. Lime I said you have a t45 or 3650.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. What would be a step up from the t45? I saw it can handle in the 300-400 whp range but i have plans for around 550hp so should i rebuild it or get a step up for it?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

The T-5 is the glass jaw trans that will let go somewhere in the 300-400 range but you have the T45. The T45 is good for around 500whp. At that point the 10 spline input shaft becomes the weak point. You could roll the dice and run it at 550whp but it would be pushing it and you have a decent chance of twisting the input shaft. The gears in the t45 themselves are nice and beefy and good for much more. A 26 spline input shaft makes the trans good for 600whp+ but at that point you should be looking at automatic unless you are setting the car up for handling. The only other real issue with the t45 are weak shift forks but if the trans shifts fine now they are still good. Mine is 1998 original and goes into every gear like butter (knocks on wood).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT