Running Catless - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Running Catless

So I got my Borla Stinger S-Type catback installed yesterday. Sounds great (loud and deep tone). Although I wouldn't mind for it to be a little louder and deeper. I'm looking at mid-pipes online and can't decide if I should get an h pipe or an x pipe. Also wether I should get an off-road or catted. My question is.. Has anyone gotten pulled over from the smell of running catless? Any other insight on a mid-pipe would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
So I got my Borla Stinger S-Type catback installed yesterday. Sounds great (loud and deep tone). Although I wouldn't mind for it to be a little louder and deeper. I'm looking at mid-pipes online and can't decide if I should get an h pipe or an x pipe. Also wether I should get an off-road or catted. My question is.. Has anyone gotten pulled over from the smell of running catless? Any other insight on a mid-pipe would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Pulled over for off road. No. But they smell I can't let it run in my garage for a few minutes before it fills with nasty fumes. Off road or not it's very close to the same performance. I went off road just because it was cheaper. I also went x just because the stock is h. X you might be able to squeez out a hp or two. But really it's all a personal taste. X they say is more rasp like NASCAR and h more muscular. Either or will be louder due to bigger tubing. And whatever you choose you will like..if not it will grow on you especially since you just came from stock. Ohhh and if you haven't yet got a tune/tuner do that before a mid pipe if you're looking for more power rather than noise.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post

Pulled over for off road. No. But they smell I can't let it run in my garage for a few minutes before it fills with nasty fumes. Off road or not it's very close to the same performance. I went off road just because it was cheaper. I also went x just because the stock is h. X you might be able to squeez out a hp or two. But really it's all a personal taste. X they say is more rasp like NASCAR and h more muscular. Either or will be louder due to bigger tubing. And whatever you choose you will like..if not it will grow on you especially since you just came from stock. Ohhh and if you haven't yet got a tune/tuner do that before a mid pipe if you're looking for more power rather than noise.
Sounds good. Thanks man.. I think I'm gonna get my tune and than go for the mid-pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Sounds good. Thanks man.. I think I'm gonna get my tune and than go for the mid-pipe.
just to let you know if you get a tuner then a catless h pipe you are going to have to have bama write you a new tune. And also I have a catless h pipe and it is great would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice classic rumble.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I run borla stingers/ PYPES o/r H.

Awesome sound, and have yet to be pulled over for it. If you want a video of my set up, I could probably have one up for you by the end of the day so you can hear it. Just let me know!
Calandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Get your midpipe and tuner at the same time and have then tune for your offroad midpipe

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
^+1 boom there you go lol
Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Go with an offroad, cheaper and louder.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
disturbing the peace would be the ONLY reason I would think you would get pulled over catless lol idk that it would be that redneck loud tho
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calandro View Post
I run borla stingers/ PYPES o/r H.

Awesome sound, and have yet to be pulled over for it. If you want a video of my set up, I could probably have one up for you by the end of the day so you can hear it. Just let me know!
Yeah that would be great man.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post

just to let you know if you get a tuner then a catless h pipe you are going to have to have bama write you a new tune. And also I have a catless h pipe and it is great would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice classic rumble.
So you recommend that I get the mid-pipe first and then the tuner? Would BAMA still have to write me a new tune? Cause I have an SCT tune not a BAMA tune.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You have a tuner already? SCT can write you a new one

Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
You have a tuner already? SCT can write you a new one
Yes I have one already. Although I still have to pay to unlock it and then pay to re-tune it.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well do that and fill out your mod list and say you have an offroad midpipe

Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well do that and fill out your mod list and say you have an offroad midpipe
So get the tune first then?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Are you gonna buy the midpipe soon? I'm saying to buy the midpipe and get the tuner fixed. All t the same time. If not then buy the midpipe run it untuned and then get the tuner

Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you gonna buy the midpipe soon? I'm saying to buy the midpipe and get the tuner fixed. All t the same time. If not then buy the midpipe run it untuned and then get the tuner
Yeah I'm hoping to. Still have to decide on one. I also contacted the VMP tuning for the SCT tuner and he quoted me at $250 to get it up and running.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I got pulled over for excessive noise for my setup which is upr off road x pipe and slp LM1 but haven't gotten pulled over since, he told me to keep the noise down, it's the mayors son so he is an a$$hole!
Sonicblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that would be great man.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

So you recommend that I get the mid-pipe first and then the tuner? Would BAMA still have to write me a new tune? Cause I have an SCT tune not a BAMA tune.
Hey bud, I took the video but had something come up. I'll post it tomorrow for sure!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey bud, I took the video but had something come up. I'll post it tomorrow for sure!
No worries man. Whenever you have time
Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

alright bud, created, and uploaded today! haha
2002 Mustang gt. Borla stingers + O/R H-pipe - YouTube
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Try lethal performance. Lund tunes I heard were good

Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post

Off is louder because of no cats... not because of bigger tubing.... going from 4 big restricting cats to 0 is why it is louder not the tube size
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
alright bud, created, and uploaded today! haha
2002 Mustang gt. Borla stingers + O/R H-pipe - YouTube
Sounds sick man. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

I drove for 7 years in an emissions state with an OR pipe and no issues. My buddy drove his car ONE DAY in a non-emissions state and got pulled over for noise and the cop saw he had no cats. Removing the emissions stuff is a federal crime so they have to enforce it. Just be aware it can happen to you too. I run a catted BKK pipe and its nice and throaty. You can also hollowed out any catted pipe or buy a ... ermm... "decorative H pipe"... that has fake cats...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds sick man. Thanks for the help!
Thanks! No problem bud!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks! No problem bud!
How does it sound while driving? Mine is only loud at about 2k Rpms. And quiets down at 2500-3000.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How does it sound while driving? Mine is only loud at about 2k Rpms. And quiets down at 2500-3000.
Ya that's about the same. Accelerating you can't really have a conversation, but once you start cruising its perfect!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have the following exhaust on my V6, BBK Ceramic Shorties, BBK Catted X-Pipe and Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust. It's great! Not too loud, plenty loud if you get on the gas but once your in your cruising speed, very quiet on the inside. You don't have that constant humming or vibration. Do you have smog checks to pass?

If you get pulled over for noise, you take the chance of the Po Po finding out your not running cats.

Catalytic Converter Laws | eHow
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya that's about the same. Accelerating you can't really have a conversation, but once you start cruising its perfect!
Still can't decide whether I should get a midpipe or not.. Lol.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Mufflers matter more. I had an OR pipe forever on my Cobra with a nice mild sounding catback and it was totally fine to talk to ppl while driving. Its all about the sweet cruising spot and drone which Flowmasters (dronemasters) have in spades. My Ultra Flows never droned on the highway and sounded amazing.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Mufflers matter more. I had an OR pipe forever on my Cobra with a nice mild sounding catback and it was totally fine to talk to ppl while driving. Its all about the sweet cruising spot and drone which Flowmasters (dronemasters) have in spades. My Ultra Flows never drone on the highway and sounded amazing.
Yeah I agree. I have the Borla stinger S type catback on mine, with the straight-through (glass pack) mufflers and 4" tips. Stock mid-pipe
Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Definitely get a mid-pipe, your stock pipe is robbing a ton of power. If you are that worried about it just get a catted pipe. I've got the BBK catted H on mine and it still sounds great. Also the high flow cats that come on aftermarket pipes rob all of like 1hp vs catless. Its more about sound than anything with an OR pipe up until around the 500-600whp level.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Definitely get a mid-pipe, your stock pipe is robbing a ton of power. If you are that worried about it just get a catted pipe. I've got the BBK catted H on mine and it still sounds great. Also the high flow cats that come on aftermarket pipes rob all of like 1hp vs catless. Its more about sound than anything with an OR pipe up until around the 500-600whp level.
I just figure that if I'm gonna spend the money on a mid-pipe I might as week get an o/r which is louder. As opposed to a catted mid-pipe. (More worth the money ).
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just figure that if I'm gonna spend the money on a mid-pipe I might as week get an o/r which is louder. As opposed to a catted mid-pipe. (More worth the money ).
All I can say is that when I had stock mid with my borla stingers it was good, and sounded good, but wasn't awesome. What did it for me was putting on that o/r H. When I first started her up I swear the earth stopped rotating, the heavens sang, and Zeus himself was like "gah danggg! You hear that thunder?!"
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

All I can say is that when I had stock mid with my borla stingers it was good, and sounded good, but wasn't awesome. What did it for me was putting on that o/r H. When I first started her up I swear the earth stopped rotating, the heavens sang, and Zeus himself was like "gah danggg! You hear that thunder?!"
Hahaha yeah I hear you. I feel that way now just with the stock midpipe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT