help once again.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
help once again....

My car will randomly overheat when I am sitting still in traffic or something. Then I drive its fine.. and then coming home today the first time ever I pressed the clutch in coming to a light it shut off on me... everything turned off. Started right back up... why is it doing this?
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If it's overheating, then it's the thermostat (which are cheap). I don't recall the name of it, but there is a temperature sensor near the water pump area. If it has gone back, it probably is reading the wrong engine temp and will shut it off so that the engine doesn't explode. Check the sensors that partain to cooling the engine and monitoring engine temps. I'll look in my book and find the exact name for this sensor. But i'm pretty sure it's just called a temperature sensor.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post
If it's overheating, then it's the thermostat (which are cheap). I don't recall the name of it, but there is a temperature sensor near the water pump area. If it has gone back, it probably is reading the wrong engine temp and will shut it off so that the engine doesn't explode. Check the sensors that partain to cooling the engine and monitoring engine temps. I'll look in my book and find the exact name for this sensor. But i'm pretty sure it's just called a temperature sensor.
Well when it shut off on me it wasnt running hot. It never has made it to the hot side but its made it 3/4
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post
Well when it shut off on me it wasnt running hot. It never has made it to the hot side but its made it 3/4

True, the car should never make it over half way. Anything near the 3/4 indicates either a thermostat going out, or something is wrong with the sensor. But the fact that the sensor shows something is enough to say its working.

I'd replace your thermostat asap and also do a full coolant flush as well. If your car has anymore problems after doing that, it'll only be the sensor or water pump. But the thermostat and coolant flush is by far the cheapest fix that everyone over looks until their cars shut down.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ive also noticed when I stop my ac will get hot... could that cause it too
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Id say a fan or rather the fan isnt cooling enough.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:
This is y i say fan. Probably only the low speed works now and not the high speed. May be due to a sensor
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Your A/C getting hot and with the car just shutting off. This is a familiar thing i've dealt with on several occassions.

Fyi... The vehicle needs a minimum amount of A/C coolant (Not the coolant for the engine) to maintain operation. You need to have your A/C recharged. If the car doesn't have enough A/C coolant, it will shut off your car. Especially if you are trying to use the A/C with the car on low amount of A/C coolant. The car shutting itself off is a protection protocol to help preserve the engine. Just like the thermostat shows you how hot the engine is before it overheats and blows up.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

As for the fan attached to the A/C condensor, with the car running and the A/C on, look at the fan. If it isn't blowing on high, then check the ECT sensor the ensure it is working properly. Also check the fuses for the fane 30A as well.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Your A/C getting hot and with the car just shutting off. This is a familiar thing i've dealt with on several occassions.

Fyi... The vehicle needs a minimum amount of A/C coolant (Not the coolant for the engine) to maintain operation. You need to have your A/C recharged. If the car doesn't have enough A/C coolant, it will shut off your car. Especially if you are trying to use the A/C with the car on low amount of A/C coolant. The car shutting itself off is a protection protocol to help preserve the engine. Just like the thermostat shows you how hot the engine is before it overheats and blows up.
So can I go to auto zone and recharge it? And should I just do that or do a thermostat too
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

As for the fan attached to the A/C condensor, with the car running and the A/C on, look at the fan. If it isn't blowing on high, then check the ECT sensor the ensure it is working properly. Also check the fuses for the fane 30A as well.
+1 also could be the fan resistor as well
Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If it was me personally, I'd purchase a thermostate ($10 about), gasket ($6 or less), coolant (ask them how much you need for the car), and pick up the brand Artic Freeze R134a ($30 or less) Walmart has this at the cheapest price anywhere!! This is a do it yourself A/C recharge with pressure gauge. It is very simple to do. But recharge your A/C after doing all the other stuff.
Now, you don't have to do this, but if it was me, I would purchase the A/C check leak kit for $30. It is a dye kit which comes with dye and a specialized flashlight and I would check all your A/C hoses to make sure there are no leaks. If you don't find a leak, great!! Add the Artic Freeze. But if you do, then take it to a place that specializes in the disposal and recharging of the A/C systems. Not only can it be deadly to just replace the hose and let all that A/C coolant go out of the system, but it is also a crime (Felony in fact).
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

When u say coolant u mean the pag oil? As far as i remember there isnt any "coolant" in an ac system only freon and compressor oil
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Make sure you get the big bottle too. Cause you just might need all of it. Also, watch the gauge. If it says the system is now charged (within the green), then stop charging the system. If you still have remaining A/C coolant in the can, save it. It is good for 14 years!!! But disposing the can into a trash can is once again, a crime!!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
When u say coolant u mean the pag oil? As far as i remember there isnt any "coolant" in an ac system only freon and compressor oil

Yes, correct... Freon!! The name escaped me and I just called it coolant. LOL
Old 08-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Make sure you get the big bottle too. Cause you just might need all of it. Also, watch the gauge. If it says the system is now charged (within the green), then stop charging the system. If you still have remaining A/C coolant in the can, save it. It is good for 14 years!!! But disposing the can into a trash can is once again, a crime!!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Yes, correct... Freon!! The name escaped me and I just called it coolant. LOL
I would off on the ac recharge. It cools fine from what i read and runs hot qhen the car runs hot. Therefore im sure its a fan issue. Ac will blow hot it the fans cant keep the condensor doing its job. If temp on the condenser goes up so will pressure therefore pressure switch would stop the compressor and ac would go hot due to not enough cooling or rather thermal extraction from the condenser. Just my 2¢ id say look for the problem first on the overheating. Fans not kicking into high speed that does affect ac operations

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

I meant hold off lol. As to a good investment besides leak kit is also the pressure gauges. Would help to see if ac pressure exceeds 350 psi on the high side and also low side should be at 40-45 psi when idled and drop to about almost 20 during a rev at 3k. High side should be at 250 during norm operations and obviously rise but no more than 350.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Pepboys does a free ac check. Really consists of checking pressures and maybe find the cause of the problem depending on the tech. Just fyi
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post

I would off on the ac recharge. It cools fine from what i read and runs hot qhen the car runs hot. Therefore im sure its a fan issue. Ac will blow hot it the fans cant keep the condensor doing its job. If temp on the condenser goes up so will pressure therefore pressure switch would stop the compressor and ac would go hot due to not enough cooling or rather thermal extraction from the condenser. Just my 2¢ id say look for the problem first on the overheating. Fans not kicking into high speed that does affect ac operations

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

I meant hold off lol. As to a good investment besides leak kit is also the pressure gauges. Would help to see if ac pressure exceeds 350 psi on the high side and also low side should be at 40-45 psi when idled and drop to about almost 20 during a rev at 3k. High side should be at 250 during norm operations and obviously rise but no more than 350.
Ive got a guy that wants to buy the car monday so what can I do tomorrow to get it right.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

I just went out to check it and I had a sensor unplugged could it be that simple?
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=1996mustang;1755157]I would off on the ac recharge. It cools fine from what i read and runs hot qhen the car runs hot. Therefore im sure its a fan issue. Ac will blow hot it the fans cant keep the condensor doing its job. If temp on the condenser goes up so will pressure therefore pressure switch would stop the compressor and ac would go hot due to not enough cooling or rather thermal extraction from the condenser. Just my 2¢ id say look for the problem first on the overheating. Fans not kicking into high speed that does affect ac operations

+1 But like I said, me personally, i'd do all the above that way I know everything is new. The absolute cheapest way to start with is the thermostat as well as checking to see if the A/C condensor fan is running on high while the A/C is turned on all the way. But if you are changing the thermostat, I highly recomend flushing the system too and replacing with new coolant. But it's not required

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Just so you know a little more about A/C,

The job of the A/C condenser fan is to remove the heat from the A/C system by blowing air across the condenser. By removing the heat from the system, it keeps the pressure in the A/C system down allowing the A/C to provide the coldest air possible. The fan is located in the engine compartment in front of the AC system. If you use the A/C when the fan is not working, the A/C will generate hot air. It will SEVERELY damage the major components in the A/C system if the fan isn't running while the A/C is turned on
Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
+1 on the fan being the issue. Part of the fans job is to keep air moving through the radiator and condensing coil when the car comes to a stop and is at temperature. While the car is moving the fan is not really doing anything because the car is in motion and the air is passing through the radiator from the forward motion.
Check all components of the fan and fan system and you will find your problem.

Good Luck!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ive got a guy that wants to buy the car monday so what can I do tomorrow to get it right.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

I just went out to check it and I had a sensor unplugged could it be that simple?
Sadly it could be as simple as that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT