Lowering question follow up (shocks / struts) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
New Follow up question: Koni Yellows vs Bilstein Struts Ok I've been gathering parts to lower my 96 SVT Cobra. Per forum feedback I bought H&R Sport Springs, MM caster camber plates, I picked up a great set of low mile Bilstein rear shocks. But I've been having a problem finding Bilstein Struts with lower miles. I will also be adding Subframe connectors and probably rear LCA'S. I just found autoeverything.com has Koni Yellow adjustable struts for my car on sale for $149 each. Would they be a good Strut to go with the H&R springs? Looking for better handling without too stiff a ride. The feedback I was getting was go with Bilsteins. If I go with the Koni struts do I need to sell my Bilstein shocks and buy Koni yellow rear shocks? So tapping the knowledge base once again. I'm itching to get this thing lowered before winter, so I can enjoy it still. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

I have Tokico Hp's and love them
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
New Follow up question: Koni Yellows vs Bilstein Struts Ok I've been gathering parts to lower my 96 SVT Cobra. Per forum feedback I bought H&R Sport Springs, MM caster camber plates, I picked up a great set of low mile Bilstein rear shocks. But I've been having a problem finding Bilstein Struts with lower miles. I will also be adding Subframe connectors and probably rear LCA'S. I just found autoeverything.com has Koni Yellow adjustable struts for my car on sale for $149 each. Would they be a good Strut to go with the H&R springs? Looking for better handling without too stiff a ride. The feedback I was getting was go with Bilsteins. If I go with the Koni struts do I need to sell my Bilstein shocks and buy Koni yellow rear shocks? So tapping the knowledge base once again. I'm itching to get this thing lowered before winter, so I can enjoy it still. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
did you get that thing lowered yet?!
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I currently have H&R Super Sports.. Look and ride great!
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
did you get that thing lowered yet?!
Waiting on one more box should be here today, Friday.. So I'll be calling the guy who's putting it all on for me tomorrow.

There's a big box from Summit Racing with the Global West Suspension Full Length SFC's that just arrived today. Yesterday the front Bilstein struts came.

Just waiting on the box from Maximum Motorsports with the Bilstein boots and the front and rear spring isolators. That's the last of it.

I'll post before and after pictures once it's complete.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #40

Region: Alabama
If you lower your cobra more than about an inch you better live in one of the flattest areas on earth(i.e. no speed bumps!!!!) other wise you better just run exhaust straight off the headers... I have a 98 gt lowered an inch and my flows' scrub everything especially, the right one cuz the guy I had weld it gave it a little more sag than the left one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4086890577.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	131403  
RossLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossLong View Post
If you lower your cobra more than about an inch you better live in one of the flattest areas on earth(i.e. no speed bumps!!!!) other wise you better just run exhaust straight off the headers... I have a 98 gt lowered an inch and my flows' scrub everything especially, the right one cuz the guy I had weld it gave it a little more sag than the left one.
Mines lowered about 1.5-1.75 inches.. Don't have too many problems with scraping. Just have to be careful
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Waiting on one more box should be here today, Friday.. So I'll be calling the guy who's putting it all on for me tomorrow. There's a big box from Summit Racing with the Global West Suspension Full Length SFC's that just arrived today. Yesterday the front Bilstein struts came. Just waiting on the box from Maximum Motorsports with the Bilstein boots and the front and rear spring isolators. That's the last of it. I'll post before and after pictures once it's complete.
Sounds good. Look forward to seeing some pics. I'm sure you will be happy with the outcome.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossLong View Post
My 96 GT is lowered on H&R super sports and I haven't had any issues. Michigan roads are about as bad as they get! My car is approx 1.34" lower than stock. Just have to take it easy and get used to the new height and you will be fine.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Sounds good. Look forward to seeing some pics. I'm sure you will be happy with the outcome. ---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ---------- My 96 GT is lowered on H&R super sports and I haven't had any issues. Michigan roads are about as bad as they get! My car is approx 1.34" lower than stock. Just have to take it easy and get used to the new height and you will be fine.
meant 1 3/4" lower. lol.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Will post pics soon. Finally got it done. Looks better and feels great. I love the solid feel of the new springs, Bilstein's, and the full length SFC'S.

Going on a club cruise this weekend. I'll find if it hangs up and hopefully get to wring it out. Like to take some turns & ramps at speed.

My concern is where the aftermarket exhaust hangs. I'm going to see if someone can tuck it up tighter.

Pics to come soon.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Your exhaust should not scrape at all unless you hit a very oddly shaped spot in the road. There is one such spot in my neighborhood that I always have to avoid. Damn manhole is like... on a pticher's mound of asphalt or that is what it looks like. I have to drive around it or I will scrape pretty good on it. Speed bumps/humps are no problem though as long as I go slow.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Your exhaust should not scrape at all unless you hit a very oddly shaped spot in the road. There is one such spot in my neighborhood that I always have to avoid. Damn manhole is like... on a pticher's mound of asphalt or that is what it looks like. I have to drive around it or I will scrape pretty good on it. Speed bumps/humps are no problem though as long as I go slow.
That is hilarious because when we first moved into our new house the neighborhood was still under construction and there was a manhole like that on my road until they put down the final layer of asphalt. I hit that damn thing one time with my long tubes and I will just say that never happened again.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
same kind of man hole I hit (yes I said man hole). I think it actually may have broke a trans mount. I haven't driven then car much and have been too busy to get it on a lift. But I hear a little racket when I get on it from a stop or shift into 2nd hard all of this didn't start until the high man hole incident.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT