Brake problems now - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Brake problems now

Calipers are sticking on the front, and nobody in town has any. It's strange to me that they would both do it at same time. But opened up bleeders and they were very hard to push back
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What was hard to push back? The pistons?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sounds like they might need to be rebuilt. How low were your pads? Sometimes the piston in the caliper can get over extended and is hard to push back in.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, the pistons. Put on new pads hoping that pushing pistons back to new location that they would quit sticking. Didn't work, when brakes are applied they stick and keep the brakes on. Will have to order some new calipers Monday

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Sounds like they might need to be rebuilt. How low were your pads? Sometimes the piston in the caliper can get over extended and is hard to push back in.
The pads were only 1/8" left. Worn out.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well regardless of what caused it, new calipers should fix it. Probably a good time to bleed the lines and put fresh fluid if you haven't already.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The part that sucks is that it got driven 20 miles that way and the rotors got so hot that they are blue. I could have gone and got it with my car trailer
Old 08-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Aah yeah, that sucks. Hopefully they aren't warped or cracked at all. Now I would say this is a good time to upgrade but if you're shelling out the bucks for new calipers, it can be tough to get anything else. However, check out American Muscle.com

They have a new product from Power Stop for the 99-04 Mustangs. Its drilled and sloted rotors front and rear, and their own ceramic pads for front and rear for 300.00. That's a really good price, as I paid 125.00 a rotor when I got them (they did throw in the pads). And I can say I love them coupled with Stls braided lines. I got them for my 90' GT as well; it beakes a lot better than stock. Plus they look cool too!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Which car is this for? If its for the New Edge I'd go straight to the Cobra front brake setup, don't even dick around with the GT stuff.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would change the rubber brake lines first before i changed the calipers. I've seen the rubber lines come apart inside and cause this very issue numerous times.
If you do end up changing the calipers be sure you upgrade to the stainless lines or atleast new rubber lines and you will be covered.

Good Luck!!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It is the 2000 GT. I still am wondering how both rotors could lock up at same time. I jacked it up and loosened lines to abs module thinking it was blocked somehow. They were still stuck, could not roll wheels. Loosened bleeders, Still stuck. Put on new pads, hit brakes, they stuck again.

I ordered new brake lines for it today, and will be getting new calipers ordered Monday.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I would change the rubber brake lines first before i changed the calipers. I've seen the rubber lines come apart inside and cause this very issue numerous times.
If you do end up changing the calipers be sure you upgrade to the stainless lines or atleast new rubber lines and you will be covered.

Good Luck!!
+10000 check the rubber lines first. What happens is the line deteriorates, and when you apply the breaks, all works as should, but when you release, the rubber flex line will collapse therefore the brakes will stay engaged.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx92coupe View Post
It is the 2000 GT. I still am wondering how both rotors could lock up at same time. I jacked it up and loosened lines to abs module thinking it was blocked somehow. They were still stuck, could not roll wheels. Loosened bleeders, Still stuck. Put on new pads, hit brakes, they stuck again.

I ordered new brake lines for it today, and will be getting new calipers ordered Monday.
They are the same age, see the same use, same pressures, stands to reason they could both fail within a very short time of each other. Maybe one going out took out the other one that was on the way out too? Dunno. You'd be amazed at how much can fail at once in brake lines though. I just got done doing the entire rear brake lines and some fronts too on my Expy and its seemed like every time I fixed one section another section somewhere else blew out. Which I why I just tore it all out...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have been thinking, and that can be dangerous. Got new 3.73 gears installed and did no correction for speedo. Something about traction control noticed difference and kicked in front brakes. How does that sound for cause of both front calipers sticking same day on low mileage car? And they did it on the trip home from getting those gears
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Gears should have 0 to do with it unless those jackasses messed with your ABS sensors during the install.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
No I wouldnt think so. the traction control works off of the wheels ABS sensors at each corner and goes by the speed of each wheel. So rolling down the road all wheels are going the same speed unless you are doing a burn out... lol

Good Luck and I hope you get it worked out.
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I replaced both calipers and brake lines and everything is back to normal. The rotors are ok too. I will always wonder how both calipers locked up at the same time.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well, you may never know, but at least shes back on the road!

***resident gun idiot***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT