Mil eliminators cause this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Mil eliminators cause this?

Can they?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1205076861.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	124665  
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Too blurry
Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
What's it say brother? Sorry, it's blurry.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Incomplete codes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3301495216.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	124666  
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have no cats and the eliminators

It says catalyst mon. and evap system mon.
Guy told me I need one of those gone for inspection and that just drive around and either the cel will turn on or those will go away and be ready for inspection. Well the cel wont come on because of the mil eliminators and ive driven a few hundred miles. Im about to just buy cats and be done with it because I just dont understand. Thing is I dont have the money for that right now. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Welp, decided its not worth it. Im buying high flow cats!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not if the MIL eliminators and the rear O2 sensors are working properly. MIL eliminators work by filtering the signal from the rear sensors so as to trick the PCM into believing the cats are there and working. Obviously this requires that the rear sensors be installed and fully functional, or there will be no signal to filter.

I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) codes will also be thrown if the PCM was recently reset to erase DTCs and the car has not completed the I/M drive cycles, or if fuse 2.21 (5A) under the dash is blown...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks cliffy i still feel more comfortable getting some high flows
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

One thing about "high flow" cats is that there is no such thing--just cats that are too small (capacity, not the size of the hole) for the application. They flow more freely because they have less substrate/honeycomb, catalyst, in a shorter can--which means they wear out sooner. I installed a UPR catted X-pipe just after I got my '03 GT in December of 2006. I was working then and it was my commuter vehicle; 30k miles later the cats were shot, with the PCM throwing catalyst efficiency codes.

I just shut off the cat monitor (rear O2 sensors) in the tune, and there's no inspections here in Florida. Something to consider...

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I understand the incomplete code im getting for catalyst but why would i be getting one for the evap system? That has to do with the gas cap and gas correct? (What i read from researching)
Battery has never been disconnected and fuses are good. I've done the cycling instructions. Im so confused lol
Only other thing ive done is gear install and put a tune on it, could that have anything to do with it?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If I bought some high flow cats would that fix my problem? I was told it would but I want to make sure, and which ones pass emissions?
Thanks for any help!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have you checked the gas cap MB? It may be that it is not sealing properly. I had to replace one a couple of smog tests ago. As far as your exhaust, I'm with Venom in the other thread. Try to find a stock setup and put it back on. Thats probably the most cost effective thing to do right now. Id be pissed off if my "high flow cats" burned out on me in between emissions testing...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I understand the incomplete code im getting for catalyst but why would i be getting one for the evap system? That has to do with the gas cap and gas correct? (What i read from researching)
Battery has never been disconnected and fuses are good. I've done the cycling instructions. Im so confused lol
Only other thing ive done is gear install and put a tune on it, could that have anything to do with it?
Your car is 11, very nearly 12, years old anything can go wrong.

"The last time you started any machine and it ran properly, may have been the last time that machine will start and run properly."
My grandfather, George Monroe, ca 1960

He was a stationary steam engineer and well understood that machines, all machines, will break eventually--and more often as time goes by.

One common issue with the new-edge, that will trigger EVAP problems, happens if you live in an area in which the roads get salted. Crap builds up under the corrugated plastic condom Ford placed on the fuel filler neck, causing it to rust out.

Pull the plastic off and inspect the filler neck for pinhole leaks.

Re: "High flow" cats passing inspection, when brand new they likely will; after 20k to 25k miles they may not. It depends largely on the type of testing, whether they sniff the tailpipe or just want the I/M monitors to be complete (no P1000 DTC).

Using MIL eliminators will often pass an I/M only check, unless the tech sees them; a problem easily overcome by making your own and hard wiring them in a stealthy manner...

Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The eliminators should not cause that problem no... as Cliffy already stated perfectly. There is always the option to run hollowed out cats if you don't have a sniffer. It'll pass visual and the MIL eliminators will prevent any codes. You sure you don't have something else going on there?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT