ganna seafoam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
ganna seafoam

Hey guys I'm ganna seafoam soon but kinda scared to do it, any tips? I've heard alot of horror stories
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Well I just poured it in my tank hopefully nothing goes wrong, that's the only place I put it, now do I need to change spark plugs?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yes, don't.

Unless your engine has been horribly maintained (far too infrequent oil changes, nothing but short trips that never allowed the engine to get hot, or has otherwise been run cold for extended periods, there is no reason to subject it to Seafoam-.

Seafoam was created to flush crap out of poorly maintained and/or improperly stored marine engines--that's the "Sea" part of the name. Unless your engine is a gunked up ball of crap there is no reason to use it. That in fact is where the horror stories come from.

In 50+ years of owning and wrenching automobiles, and running several to well over 300k miles, I have used or felt a need to use Seafoam...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My car has been sluggish as in u can here it in the exhaust, it's like a bubblying effect, I can run injecter cleaner and itll run fine, but then couple days later it does the clogged up bubbly effect, it's got 114k miles and I doubt it's ever had this done before
Old 08-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Do you mean gas tank? I use it every time I do an oil change.
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
My car has been sluggish as in u can here it in the exhaust, it's like a bubblying effect, I can run injecter cleaner and itll run fine, but then couple days later it does the clogged up bubbly effect, it's got 114k miles and I doubt it's ever had this done before
Putting it in the gas will not screw things up, or do anything for that matter. If the engine is indeed sluggish then you have some problem that snake oil will not fix--when were the plugs last changed, what type were they, were the COP boots inspected and replaced if needed?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

Putting it in the gas will not screw things up, or do anything for that matter. If the engine is indeed sluggish then you have some problem that snake oil will not fix--when were the plugs last changed, what type were they, were the COP boots inspected and replaced if needed?
I've never change the plugs so idk, had it since 74k miles, but its not the plugs since pooring that Lucas oil injecter cleaner or whatever it is fixes the problem

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

It sounds like it's clogged up or something when it's doing it
Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Have you changed your fuel filter or cleaned out your throttle body?
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've never change the plugs so idk, had it since 74k miles, but its not the plugs since pooring that Lucas oil injecter cleaner or whatever it is fixes the problem

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

It sounds like it's clogged up or something when it's doing it
"Never changed the plugs."

OK, good to hear you have all the bases covered--good luck, sounds like you will need it...

Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post
Have you changed your fuel filter or cleaned out your throttle body?
I was in the process of changing the fuel filter but sadly I broke the tool in the processlol

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

"Never changed the plugs."

OK, good to hear you have all the bases covered--good luck, sounds like you will need it...
But I don't understand why lucas oil stuff fixes the problem
Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

This
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130821_175935.png
Views:	74
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	125035  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This
I would take it in and have the injectors cleaned right and fuel filter changed. 20 yrs in Mustangs has taught me that there is nothing you can pour in that will really fix anything. Best case scenario much of that stuff is preventative maintenance. Even then, I wouldn't put any of that stuff in my motor.
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I am, at this very moment, replacing the head gaskets on the 460 in my F250. The engine has385k miles. It was, in my opinion, poorly maintained for the last 150k miles. It has seen 15k miles between oil changes, regularly. The only "saving grace" is that it gets driven a lot. Yeah, it's pretty dirty inside. The intake manifold and intake ports on the heads have a greasy, gritty sort of build up. In places, maybe an 1/8 inch or so thick. The pistons have the typical carbon build up that you would expect with those miles. With that being said, Seafoam, if you dumped a can down the throttle body, might have helped with the gritty buildup, a little. Im positve that it would have done NOTHING to clean the top of the pistons. Probably would have added to the mess. And I sure as hell wouldn't want that gritty stuff running through my engine. It literally feels like beach sand and grease mixed together. I'm with Cliffy on this. Keep your engine maintained reasonably well, and there should never be a need to use this stuff.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I am, at this very moment, replacing the head gaskets on the 460 in my F250. The engine has385k miles. It was, in my opinion, poorly maintained for the last 150k miles. It has seen 15k miles between oil changes, regularly. The only "saving grace" is that it gets driven a lot. Yeah, it's pretty dirty inside. The intake manifold and intake ports on the heads have a greasy, gritty sort of build up. In places, maybe an 1/8 inch or so thick. The pistons have the typical carbon build up that you would expect with those miles. With that being said, Seafoam, if you dumped a can down the throttle body, might have helped with the gritty buildup, a little. Im positve that it would have done NOTHING to clean the top of the pistons. Probably would have added to the mess. And I sure as hell wouldn't want that gritty stuff running through my engine. It literally feels like beach sand and grease mixed together. I'm with Cliffy on this. Keep your engine maintained reasonably well, and there should never be a need to use this stuff.
I try to keep it maintained I change my oil every 3k miles, it's just being in college right now money is kinda short
Old 08-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I should also mention that I've owned that truck since new. I used to use fuel injector cleaner regularly, for the entire life of the original engine. When I took it apart at 180k to rebuild it, the top end of the engine was just as dirty as it is now with twice as many miles. Something to think about.
DRM, you need to tune up your car. It probably has the original plugs in it. Change them and the COP boots. Clean the TB and the MAF. Replace the air and fuel filter.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I've used the stuff when I bought my 90'. Put it in the oil and let it idle for about 10 mins before I changed it. Whether it really cleaned anything out or not I really don't know. But I've had no problems with the car. Also used it in the intake on my 00' when it sat for 4 months while I was out of town. Came back, and the car was running just a tad bit rough. Changed the oil and used seafoam and it did quit the rough idle. I think it was a slightly clogged injector. But either way, both run fine. Leep in mind this stuff isnt the end all be all answer to a rough idle, i probably just got lucky! Just my .02

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT