Smog question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Smog question

I'm planning on buying another engine for my car and slowly building it up, my car has 175k on it and by the time I'm done building the motor my car will probably have 200k I don't plan on building it fast, just get a use engine and rebuild it with all the goods.

My question is, if I got ported heads and forged internals and all, will it raise my emissions? I'm I California and have to deal with smog, I know cams will fail me during smog so I prolly won't do cams, but I just wanna know if a built motor ha higher emissions
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They won't be able to tell the heads are ported and a set of blower cams can be ground that won't sound much different than stock if at all. PI intake can stay on there for up to 600-700hp so you are fine there or the KB 2.1L Supercharger is CARB legal. There is plenty you can do. Or just move to a state that isn't cray cray.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think cams are a deal breaker here in CA, for the most part. When the smog tech comments on your bumpity-bump idle, look him straight in the eye and say "Cams? No, it's completely stock." Luckily, there is no "tear-down" at the emissions testing station. Lol.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Cams? What are cams?
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It's not like they can open your engine and look... Besides, there are CA legal cams. Just research which ones they are and if the guy asks tell him that brand, not like he can check for real.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

OP what year is your car? For 2000 and up they no longer do the tail pipe test, they just hook it to a computer and see that everything is running properly.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It's not like they can open your engine and look... Besides, there are CA legal cams. Just research which ones they are and if the guy asks tell him that brand, not like he can check for real.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

OP what year is your car? For 2000 and up they no longer do the tail pipe test, they just hook it to a computer and see that everything is running properly.
I heard there doing drive cycle tests now, but it's an 03
I just got it last month and it passed smog 3 days before I bought it so I wasn't there to see what they did

Ill look into CA legal cams when I start my engine build
I'm curious to see what the specs are
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post

I just got it last month and it passed smog 3 days before I bought it so I wasn't there to see what they did

They probably aren't that great cams. Go with the ones you want but just say they are Cali legal during smog

HID end all thread
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
IMO ppl get too worked up about the CA smog laws. If you are THAT worried about it get a classic car that isn't going to be tested or get a car that no longer gets the sniffer. For the 2V or 4V the beauty is that you can port (or leave alone in the case of the 4V) the heads and the PI intake is so good you don't really need to worry about changing it unless you are looking to go over 600whp. They can't very well check your cams now can they? So you roll up in a 600whp 2V with whatever cams you want and a CARB legal supercharger (vortech, KB, whatever). Heads are PI heads, intake is PI intake or the KB, computer checks out good... not sure what the issue is as far as modulars...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
IMO ppl get too worked up about the CA smog laws. If you are THAT worried about it get a classic car that isn't going to be tested or get a car that no longer gets the sniffer. For the 2V or 4V the beauty is that you can port (or leave alone in the case of the 4V) the heads and the PI intake is so good you don't really need to worry about changing it unless you are looking to go over 600whp. They can't very well check your cams now can they? So you roll up in a 600whp 2V with whatever cams you want and a CARB legal supercharger (vortech, KB, whatever). Heads are PI heads, intake is PI intake or the KB, computer checks out good... not sure what the issue is as far as modulars...
+1
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post

It depends which county that you live in . Here in Monterey county it is just the simple "plug in" test. In the larger metropolitan areas, they put your car on the "dyno". There are still a few counties where you only get emissions tested when the title transfers to a new owner.
I've had a, mostly, internally built 460 in my truck for the last 17 or so years, that passes the "sniffer" test with flying colors every two years. When I first built the engine, it passed smog with cleaner emissions than the stock engine did. If the "officials" ever took it apart, they'd crap a brick. Nothing is CARB legal.
I think that where most people run into trouble passing is with CEL being on and the visual inspection
My best advice here is , try to fly under their radar. Admit to no modifications that aren't clearly visible.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

That is exactly the issue Cali has, the visual... If it passes the sniffer, who the **** cares what you did to it. The point of smog is to make sure the vehicle doesn't put out bad gases into the atmosphere. All they need to do is the sniff test...

My friend knows the top smog referee in the area, and told me about a specific car that went through for smog. It was a Corvette Z06 fully built engine with twin turbos and straight pipes. Nothing on that car was Cali legal... The kicker? It's emissions were almost non-existent, it burned that clean.

HID end all thread
Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

They need to dismantle CARB and save this state about a billion and a half dollars a year. They have done as much to hurt the environment, here in CA, as they have done to help. Pretty useless agency. Dont get me started...
Old 08-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
They need to dismantle CARB and save this state about a billion and a half dollars a year. They have done as much to hurt the environment, here in CA, as they have done to help. Pretty useless agency. Dont get me started...
We both feel the same way.

There are manufacturers that can make their cars burn clean without catalytic converters, but since they are required to have them they have to change the entire set up and will in return have worse emissions. CA just screws itself over in every way.

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT