Low idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Low idle

Okay so my 2000 gt likes to idle a little low after start up when being shut off a couple times. Like if I go to work then home. And then to the store and home. Then go to the gym the idle acts funny. It will drop down to 500-600 rpms then shoot to 800-900 rpms. Any thoughts are welcomed thank you. Btw already cleaned out the iac and tb.
JB_MUSTANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Even if you clean the iac it can still be bad. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? Maybe egr valve
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Basically after being warmed up an driven a few places it idles like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_MUSTANG_V6 View Post
Okay so my 2000 gt likes to idle a little low after start up when being shut off a couple times. Like if I go to work then home. And then to the store and home. Then go to the gym the idle acts funny. It will drop down to 500-600 rpms then shoot to 800-900 rpms. Any thoughts are welcomed thank you. Btw already cleaned out the iac and tb.

Unfortunately there are several factors when it comes to idle....
air intake, fuel intake, battery charge, spark plugs, fuel pump going out, etc....

Usually if there isn't enough air coming in, the idle starts to get a little rough, but if there is too little or too much gas, then the same thing happens. Check your spark plugs and make sure they don't have too much composite on them. Make sure you're burning fuel as efficiantely as possible.

Could also be a sign of your fuel injectors being clogged. I'd just do everything at once and see how it runs. If all else fails, check the fuel pressure to see if it is continuous or fluxuating.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I just got the car so I could do that this weekend. And can you clean the egr valve also
Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Even if you clean the iac it can still be bad. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? Maybe egr valve

Oh shooot, I totally forgot about the egr valve!!!! My 2000 GT was having all kinds of problems and even after fixing almost everything, it was the stupid egr valve. Definitely try that first. It is like $10 unless you want the all chrome looking one for about $15.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_MUSTANG_V6 View Post
I just got the car so I could do that this weekend. And can you clean the egr valve also

No, just replace the egr valve. Also, might as well replace the fuel filter located underneath the rear bumper for like $11. Make sure you buy the fuel filter removal tool for $3 it's the 5/8th size and watch out from getting gas on you.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys really appreciate it cause it's pissing me off lol. It runs great besides that. And I will pick up and egr valve tomorrow. Also, before I forget, there is like a ticking noise every 5-10 secs while the cars running and after the car is shut off. Any ideas.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I just had to pay 60 for a new egr valve. Ouch

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

If this doesn't solve it I'm gonna be so mad
Old 08-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I was about to post a thread regarding this. My 99gt 2v manual has been doing the same thing with the ticking I've been chasing. I've changed out all couls and am getting no check engine. Next step will be fuel treatment for the injectors. And testing fuel pump pressure. Hadn't thought about the egr. Assuming brakekleen will work or tb cleaner
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornkush View Post
I was about to post a thread regarding this. My 99gt 2v manual has been doing the same thing with the ticking I've been chasing. I've changed out all couls and am getting no check engine. Next step will be fuel treatment for the injectors. And testing fuel pump pressure. Hadn't thought about the egr. Assuming brakekleen will work or tb cleaner
My ticking noise is the noise you hear after you shut your car off and the exhaust is cooling down. But it does it while my car is running. Weird and idk why or what it is. And no you can't clean the egr valve. Best is to just get a new one. They're a little pricey but will make a difference. I still have to install mine yet and I'm gonna clean my maf sensor. Hope this works
Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The tick could be the condensation from the ac dripping on the hit exhaust.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I just changed out my egr valve which was hell cause the bolts were like welded in there lol but I got it changed and cleaned my maf sensor. Everything is hooked back up and I disconnected my negative battery terminal in the process so the car would reset and learn the new part. Should I wait awhile before driving it I.e. like tomorrow or is it okay to take it out tonight?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If the battery has been disconnected for more than a half hour, the computer has reset. Hook it up and give it a try. I'm anxious to hear the results...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Mine ticks while it runs, like a sporadic tick from a coil pack that won't trip a code though.... Ik hot metal ticks when it cools lol
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
If the battery has been disconnected for more than a half hour, the computer has reset. Hook it up and give it a try. I'm anxious to hear the results...
Well I'm gonna sleep on it for tonight and just get a goodnight sleep and hope for the best when I wake up to go workout lol. I'll update tomorrow afternoon for sure!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well I started it up and it idled a little high at first then calmed maybe a couple mins later down to normal and I smiled. But then I started driving and it is idling higher than ever especially between shifts. Meaning the rpms hang super high when I press the clutch in and shift into neutral. Any suggestions now lol did I tweet something I don't know about. I did mess with the iac black knob by turning it but does that do anything? Please help ASAP lol
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It all sounds pretty normal. It may take a few warm up cycles for the computer to relearn everything. You didn't hurt the IAC by turning the black cover. Drive it some more and see how it does.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It all sounds pretty normal. It may take a few warm up cycles for the computer to relearn everything. You didn't hurt the IAC by turning the black cover. Drive it some more and see how it does.
Alright thanks a lot for the re insurance lol. I can deff tell I have my throttle and power back though. That crappy egr valve hurt so much. I'll keep updated cause she will get a driven a little bit today.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT