Hunting down a coolant leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Hunting down a coolant leak

Hey everyone, so I currently have my 98 gt torn apart in search of a coolant leak. For the record its not any hoses or the reservoir I have inspected all those already. The coolant is pooling up on top of the engine on the passenger side and fouled my cylinder 3&4 plugs, plus it is smoking from the driver side tailpipe only. Everyone on here was telling me it sounded like a cracked intake, I took it off and I dont see any cracks plus the gaskets look great. Anyone have any further ideas on what it might be and why the driver side is smoking?
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130824_141112.png
Views:	122
Size:	830.2 KB
ID:	125578

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130824_141052.png
Views:	129
Size:	804.6 KB
ID:	125577
Old 08-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Frustrating. The next time this happens Kevo, you need to do a pressure test on the cooling system BEFORE you take the engine apart. My only advice is to go over that manifold with a fine tooth comb looking for evidence of leaking, particularly, the crossover tube.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah note to self I guess, oh well. I'll keep checking, my crossover is metal so someone put a new intake on it at some point
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post
Yeah note to self I guess, oh well. I'll keep checking, my crossover is metal so someone put a new intake on it at some point
I saw that. The tailpipe smoke is suspicious. Im going to throw head gasket out there, but , DO NOT TAKE THE HEADS OFF ON MY GUESS. Lol. The coolant pooling on top of the manifold had to come from somewhere other than the head gaskets. I hate to say it, but, you may have to put it back together with new gaskets and just pray that it was them that were leaking. If not, at least you will be able to pressure test the system and find out where the leak is coming from. It could be as simple as a pin hole in a hose that leaks only when the RPM's are high enough...
Old 08-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Kinda what im thinking at this point. Na I didn't tear the thing apart based soley on this forum though cause obviously nobody can see the car in person lol, but I kinda had a hunch because where it starts running down the engine there is no hose whatsoever right there. I will still check the hoses but I think that can be ruled out because of how dramatic the leak is when it gets warmed up...it will leave a lake of coolant in minutes yet I don't see any leaking out of the intake
Old 08-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have been fooled many times by coolant leaks dripping in one spot but the actual leak being nowhere near the dripping coolant. Flashlight, mirrors, use anything at your disposal to find any signs of where the coolant may be coming from. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Could a bad thermostat be any part of the problem? I think mine was going bad, my temp gauge was sitting about dead center consistantly
Old 08-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Dead center is normal. Everything needs to be working correctly in the cooling system. Put in a new one, they're cheap. Probably not the source of your leak though...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT