Transmission noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Transmission noise

Hey guys I have heard a weird whining noise coming from the shifter area. (5 speed manual) I know it could be the throw out bearing but I hope it's not. It seemed like the noise just started to occur when I installed my MGW shifter. I never heard this noise with the stock shifter. Does the MGW just not block out some of the tranny noise that the stock one did? I know that doesn't sound right because MGW was suppose to block out more sound than stock. I also bought some granny fluid that I need to put in still. Do you guys think its the throw out bearing, just normal noise, or just need to change tranny fluid? Thanks.
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also the noise seems to dampen a lot when clutch is in or in neutral. I have noticed before that it has troubles getting into reverse or first gear.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Hey guys I have heard a weird whining noise coming from the shifter area. (5 speed manual) I know it could be the throw out bearing but I hope it's not. It seemed like the noise just started to occur when I installed my MGW shifter. I never heard this noise with the stock shifter. Does the MGW just not block out some of the tranny noise that the stock one did? I know that doesn't sound right because MGW was suppose to block out more sound than stock. I also bought some granny fluid that I need to put in still. Do you guys think its the throw out bearing, just normal noise, or just need to change tranny fluid? Thanks.
I just read something on the MGW causing whining noise. Do a search for MGW on the Internet and fund a reference.. Any how, I read that it was not a problem. The guy had gotten his installed by the owner of MGW. I can't wait to finish putting my funds together to get it.

Click here: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ll-cost-4.html
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcanno167 View Post

I just read something on the MGW causing whining noise. Do a search for MGW on the Internet and fund a reference.. Any how, I read that it was not a problem. The guy had gotten his installed by the owner of MGW. I can't wait to finish putting my funds together to get it.

Click here: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ll-cost-4.html
Well after reading that it makes me feel a little better, really was hoping it wasn't going to be the throw out bearing. Thanks for the info
Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well after reading that it makes me feel a little better, really was hoping it wasn't going to be the throw out bearing. Thanks for the info
Got ya, cant wait to get mine. You got to tell us about the PROs and the differences.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 08-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Got ya, cant wait to get mine. You got to tell us about the PROs and the differences.
Definitely worth the buy! Tons smoother than my stock shifter. I only have to move the shifter about 2 inches from 1st to second compared to the stock one which was wayyyy too long. The only cons I can find about it are of course the noise and it is sometimes a hassle to get into 5th gear for me. You have to push the shifter over a lot harder. But as to the sound problem, I read a guy called Cobra Bob sells gaskets that are supposed to eliminate 90% of the transmission noise that the shifter doesn't block out. It's only about 15$. I would buy that and install it while your installing the shifter. Along with replacing tranny fluid while your there.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely worth the buy! Tons smoother than my stock shifter. I only have to move the shifter about 2 inches from 1st to second compared to the stock one which was wayyyy too long. The only cons I can find about it are of course the noise and it is sometimes a hassle to get into 5th gear for me. You have to push the shifter over a lot harder. But as to the sound problem, I read a guy called Cobra Bob sells gaskets that are supposed to eliminate 90% of the transmission noise that the shifter doesn't block out. It's only about 15$. I would buy that and install it while your installing the shifter. Along with replacing tranny fluid while your there.
You got to let me know how that works out. I will order my shifter in early SEP. want to install both if I don't have to open up the tranny. I am go 20,000 miles to go on the 3 year warranty.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I have the same problem with my steeda short throw going into fifth, when I first got the car I kept dropping it back into third...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Ensure you have fresh fluid for peace of mind. TREMEC recommends Mobil1 ATF or Syncromesh ATF.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You got to let me know how that works out. I will order my shifter in early SEP. want to install both if I don't have to open up the tranny. I am go 20,000 miles to go on the 3 year warranty.
I just ordered the gasket last night hopefully ill have that in by this weekend along with a tranny fluid change
Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay Ghost5niper will do. I ordered it today. I think I made the current production list. This means that I may have it in 2 - 3 weeks. I have 21K to go on my warranty buti can't wait. I had a embossing shift moment yesterday - this has got to end. Now I am looking for some good video instructions that I can take to the shop on my IPAD.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT