Hard start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hard start

Another question. I cut off my cat with out thinking couple weeks ago. Cut it before the sensor. Ran it like that for couple days. Than my car start dying when come to a stop but only in drive like a red light or stop sign! Anyways put in a straight pipe instead of converter back in to give the sensor the air and back pressure back but now the dying problem is fixed and everything is back to normal but my car have a hard time starting every time. It starts but I go to crank on it for a second. What could it be?????? Thank you in advance
RussianGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Check out your cam sensor, it might be going out,are you getting any backfire while trying to start it? Also a bad alternator can send bad signals to the cam sensor which would make it seem like a bad sensor even though its good
llvllanifest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvllanifest View Post
Check out your cam sensor, it might be going out,are you getting any backfire while trying to start it? Also a bad alternator can send bad signals to the cam sensor which would make it seem like a bad sensor even though its good
You probably right it's a sensor. Cuz I got engine check light for sensor but only dealers know the code. Alternator is brand new just replaced it cuz my dumb *** switched battery cables lol live and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Had something like this happen to our 04gt. It sometimes backfired and it would shut off sometimes when stopped like in reverse or something and was super hard to get started again. Needless to say the mechanic kept telling me I the code read camshaft position sensor that's the problem lol. I told him I said its the alternator. So out of spite I had him change the cam sensor and the car started soon like it did before. So I bought a brand new alternator took it to his shop and I said change it. Half hour later everything is perfect no light or nothing. It was so bad that in park with car running you could switch o headlights and car died.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Had something like this happen to our 04gt. It sometimes backfired and it would shut off sometimes when stopped like in reverse or something and was super hard to get started again. Needless to say the mechanic kept telling me I the code read camshaft position sensor that's the problem lol. I told him I said its the alternator. So out of spite I had him change the cam sensor and the car started soon like it did before. So I bought a brand new alternator took it to his shop and I said change it. Half hour later everything is perfect no light or nothing. It was so bad that in park with car running you could switch o headlights and car died.
Exactly I'd turn ac on and rpm goes down lol I guess il change the sensor. How much is it? My new alternator was 250 lol
Old 08-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sensor is twenty bucks lol. An I hoped that would've fixed it but nah it just ha to be the 250 dollar altenator. It's not the alternator itself that stops working its something inside that goes wrong and throws off code for cps.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I've been thru this which is why I know , the cam sensor is cheaper but not always the problem . My car would run crappy and hard to start .alternator was my fix . I was upgrading the alternator so it worked out just right , got a 2100 watt system so I needed something beffier to handle the wattage
Old 08-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I've been thru this which is why I know , the cam sensor is cheaper but not always the problem . My car would run crappy and hard to start .alternator was my fix . I was upgrading the alternator so it worked out just right , got a 2100 watt system so I needed something beffier to handle the wattage
I wonder if my system is contributing to the problem I got 1000 watt 2 kenwood subs with 1000 watt amp
Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Your system could be causing your problems. Before I upgraded my alternator and got my yellow top optima battery, all my lights and interior lights would dim really bad when I had my system turned up. Even my car ran rough, so also , have you done the big 3
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your system could be causing your problems. Before I upgraded my alternator and got my yellow top optima battery, all my lights and interior lights would dim really bad when I had my system turned up. Even my car ran rough, so also , have you done the big 3
Big 3???
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the three s's.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes sir , that would be your battery ground , positive and your alternator line

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT