ok, how in the world do you clock a maf? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
ok, how in the world do you clock a maf?

I am wanting to clock my maf due to a 90 degree cai into the fender. But dont know how. Any step by step info is much appreciated.
99NewEdgeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
"Clocking" a MAF is just rotating it, relative to the air flow through it, to get the sensor positioned so that the sampled flow best represents the overall flow through the entire housing. Experimentating with different positons and data logging the MAF output vs. throttle postion and engine speed is about the only way to get it right without a flow bench.

Just run the stock intake, it's as good as any aftermarket setup and Ford already did the flow testing...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Went to do just that, n came to find my dad threw it out. Left it in a bag in his crawl space. Guess that wasn't as secure as I thought.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
"Clocking" a MAF is just rotating it, relative to the air flow through it, to get the sensor positioned so that the sampled flow best represents the overall flow through the entire housing. Experimentating with different positons and data logging the MAF output vs. throttle postion and engine speed is about the only way to get it right without a flow bench.

Just run the stock intake, it's as good as any aftermarket setup and Ford already did the flow testing...
What am I actually rotating? I can't get the reading part to budge. And I'm sure I dont rotate the whole maf cause my screws wouldn't line up with the housing if I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NewEdgeGT View Post
Went to do just that, n came to find my dad threw it out. Left it in a bag in his crawl space. Guess that wasn't as secure as I thought.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

What am I actually rotating? I can't get the reading part to budge. And I'm sure I dont rotate the whole maf cause my screws wouldn't line up with the housing if I did.
When "clocking" a MAF you rotate the entire assembly. On the new-edge GT stock MAF this can only be done in 90 degree increments unless a flange adapter is used.

Why do you wish to "clock" your MAF? Are you having surging or other air metering related problems?

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Attachment 126654
Turn it left or right, depending on your situation.

If I were you and needed to use the "in fender" CAI, I would put the MAF in the fender mounted vertically. This is how mine was when I bought it. I changed it for two reasons. I didn't want any water to get in my intake, and I wanted to use my shaker setup on my Mach 1.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Attachment 126654
Turn it left or right, depending on your situation.

If I were you and needed to use the "in fender" CAI, I would put the MAF in the fender mounted vertically. This is how mine was when I bought it. I changed it for two reasons. I didn't want any water to get in my intake, and I wanted to use my shaker setup on my Mach 1.
Thankkkkk youuu! So when I rotate it, I won't be able to screw it in? Right?

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
When "clocking" a MAF you rotate the entire assembly. On the new-edge GT stock MAF this can only be done in 90 degree increments unless a flange adapter is used.

Why do you wish to "clock" your MAF? Are you having surging or other air metering related problems?
Man, if you only knew lol. My throttle response is terrible. And when ac is on, I get a low bouncing idle and shutoff. But only when in gear. And with Ac off, I idle at about 550 rpm.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NewEdgeGT View Post

Thankkkkk youuu! So when I rotate it, I won't be able to screw it in? Right?
Loosen the bands on either side of the MAF, if you have the stock air box. Once it's loose, you should be able to turn the whole MAF housing while its in place. I circled the screw head on a band so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachment 126695
Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Loosen the bands on either side of the MAF, if you have the stock air box. Once it's loose, you should be able to turn the whole MAF housing while its in place. I circled the screw head on a band so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachment 126695
Got it!!! Thanks man!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT