Failed Emissions need cats - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Failed Emissions need cats

I just bought a 1996 GT on Monday. The previous owner had installed a BBK off road H-Pipe. It had a check engine light so I installed the MIL eliminators. I took it to get inspected today and it failed the emissions part. They told me I had to get cats installed. So I took it to the local muffler shop and they told me that they would have to put 4 direct fit cats and it would cost 2546.00. Would the BBK 96-98 Mid X Pipe With Converters - GT Part # 1666 work just as well or do you have to have all 4 cats?
texas96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Failed Emissions need cats

Thats whats on my car and its passed emissions.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

it also depends on what kind of tests your state does....is it only a visual, do you have to have it run on a dyno, or do they just plug into the OBDII computer?
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #4

They must do a visual and a OBD II test. Because after I installed the MIL eliminator I went to Auto Zone and they checked for codes and there was none. So that leads me to believe that they had to do a visual as well.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

hahahahahahahahaahahaha

oh wow.

you will fail instantly with the sniffer test or visual without cats.

get a stock midpipe from a local, bolt it up, get it passed and then convert back. pay the guy $50 to borrow it for however long.

Hi-Flow cats will pass visual but not the sniffer. Only the stock setup has enough scrubbing capabilities to pass the sniffer, im too drunk to remember the exact chemicals, but the first cat in-line removes one substance (NoX) and the second cat removes the other (Co2?). all 4 are required to pass; two high-flow cats will not scrub enough to pass the sniffer.

you can always go onto local forums and look for a smog hookup. though once you fail, most other local shops are alerted to your vin to know you just failed somewhere else. I have a buddy who is a smog tech and laughs at honduhs who fail down the street then try to come to his shop and try to pass under someone elses watch.

prolly shouldve asked the tech exactly why he failed the car, be it visual, obdII readiness or sniffer. i doubt he even got to the sniffer otherwise you wouldve gotten a print-out of the readings, so you probably failed visual. you need to check to see if your state does visual/obdII only or Visual/OBDII/Sniffer. its kinda important. If its just visual/OBDII you can get away with getting a high-flow catted midpipe. If it needs emissions too, you will insta-fail with a high-flow catted setup of any kind other than stock midpipe.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #6

I live in Harris County, TX which is the Houston area. I did some checking and this is what I found: Test Method: Model Year 1996 and newer vehicles will be subject to On-board Diagnostic (OBD) testing, and Model Year 1995 and older vehicles will be subject to Acceleration Simulation Mode (ASM) testing. Is there anyone here from Houston area that has 2 aftermarket hi-flow cats that has passed emissions?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have an x pipe with high flow cats on my car, it passed in PA but now I moved to Cali and I'm almost 100% sure it will fail so im trying to hold out as long as possible on the emissions tests, haha
Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas96gt View Post
Is there anyone here from Houston area that has 2 aftermarket hi-flow cats that has passed emissions?
high flow cats will NOT pass emissions. they are merely for legality purposes so you dont get fined for removing cats. FYI, removal of cats is a FEDERAL OFFENSE!

just find a stock midpipe or borrow one. you live in Texas, it should be a simple task.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #9

I contacted BBK about their X-pipe with cats, and this is what they had to say: "Each one of our cats is rated for a 360c.i. enigne. You could literally
run a Y-pipe with one of them and still be clean enough to pass a sniffer
test." So with that said I ordered the x-pipe with cats. They arrived yesterday and I will install it tomorrow, and will attempt to pass emissions. I will post the results.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
high flow cats will NOT pass emissions. they are merely for legality purposes so you dont get fined for removing cats. FYI, removal of cats is a FEDERAL OFFENSE!

just find a stock midpipe or borrow one. you live in Texas, it should be a simple task.
Actually, you're note even allowed to remove the stock mid pipe with cats as long as the cats are functioning...whether you are replacing them with hi-flow or not. Removal of a working cat from a vehicle is how it is worded....not replacement. So, take the stock pipe off and you break the law. I'm just glad my mid pipe fell off one nice while rolling over the Mississippi river bridge...I tried to save it, but the damn thing flew over the side and into the water before I could get stopped.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post

The rest of the world does NOT reside in Commiefornia

I have passed SNIFFER tests on my 89 rustang with only 2 high flow cats instead of the stock 4

'high flow' cats are REPLACEMENT cats with larger diameter inlets/outlets typically. They are not CARB legal in most cases, but again.. we don't all reside in commiefornia

And to top that off I used the catco 'highflow' cat on the buick at the sniffer test up at school, it showed levels BARELY and NEGLIGIBLY higher than stock levels (GTP was up on the sniffer before me)

And P.Venom: "Actually, you're not even allowed to remove the stock mid pipe with cats as long as the cats are functioning...whether you are replacing them with hi-flow or not. Removal of a working cat from a vehicle is how it is worded....not replacement. So, take the stock pipe off and you break the law. I'm just glad my mid pipe fell off one nice while rolling over the Mississippi river bridge...I tried to save it, but the damn thing flew over the side and into the water before I could get stopped."

I agree 100%, the stock cat on the buick got damaged by a squirrel that ran under the car, my poor cat got all dented in and started rattling.. :pnoid:
Old 08-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas96gt View Post
I contacted BBK about their X-pipe with cats, and this is what they had to say: "Each one of our cats is rated for a 360c.i. enigne. You could literally
run a Y-pipe with one of them and still be clean enough to pass a sniffer
test." So with that said I ordered the x-pipe with cats. They arrived yesterday and I will install it tomorrow, and will attempt to pass emissions. I will post the results.
+1 you won't be disappointed, BBK is what I used on my 89

And technically you could be an *** and make the seller pay for the installation of cats its illegal to sell a car without cats
Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

The cats on my stock mid pipe legitimately blocked up and had my car stalling and running like ****.....i replaced them with a catted x and don't care if it was illegal or not, haha.....im still gonna try and pass smog with it and see what happens....im going to register through AAA who apparently doesn't require a visual inspection so i might be able to pull it off....everything else is carb legal and i have proof so we'll see what happens
Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #14

Well, I installed the BBK X-Pipe w/cats today. It bolted up nicely. Hardest part was removal of the H-Pipe. Took it to the muffler shop to check for leaks and all was good. Took it to get inspected and I passed emissions. The only complaint that I have is it is too quiet now. I have flowmaster 40's but to me it just sounds stock. It kind of blends in with everyone else driving down the road and does not have a unique sound. Any suggestions to make it louder without removing cats?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Actually, you're note even allowed to remove the stock mid pipe with cats as long as the cats are functioning...whether you are replacing them with hi-flow or not. Removal of a working cat from a vehicle is how it is worded....not replacement. So, take the stock pipe off and you break the law. I'm just glad my mid pipe fell off one nice while rolling over the Mississippi river bridge...I tried to save it, but the damn thing flew over the side and into the water before I could get stopped.
true, you cannot willfully remove working catalytics, they have to be proven to need replacement for them to be replaced. but yes, there are ways around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
The rest of the world does NOT reside in Commiefornia
yes, but Federal Offenses are above statewide jurisdictions. Its not a matter of Cali only, its Federally Mandated or whatever, then under that theres what the state mandates.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Headers will make it louder at idle. Besides that going to a non baffled muffler would be your best bet.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Well, I installed the BBK X-Pipe w/cats today. It bolted up nicely. Hardest part was removal of the H-Pipe. Took it to the muffler shop to check for leaks and all was good. Took it to get inspected and I passed emissions. The only complaint that I have is it is too quiet now. I have flowmaster 40's but to me it just sounds stock. It kind of blends in with everyone else driving down the road and does not have a unique sound. Any suggestions to make it louder without removing cats?
give it some time to "break" in....it will get louder.....my dad's 2000 had a bbk catted x and flowmasters and it was loud as ****, i think the mufflers rusted out on the inside and basically cleared themselves out.....but right around 2000 rpms's it droned so bad so I wouldn't recomend doing that....if you want more sound you could always change your mufflers to something different
Old 08-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Hmm Borla cough cough SLP cough Magnaflow cough cough.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

^ did the slp loud mouths and they're freakin obnoxious, wouldn't recommend them......i have the slp loud mouth II's and they sound good
Old 08-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

The great thing about the "no removing working cats law" is that there is no "you can't drive a Philips head through a working cat law" to back it up.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The great thing about the "no removing working cats law" is that there is no "you can't drive a Philips head through a working cat law" to back it up.
hahaha, so true....if it looks like it has stock cats but somehow they disappeared on the inside, who's going to know?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
^ did the slp loud mouths and they're freakin obnoxious, wouldn't recommend them......i have the slp loud mouth II's and they sound good
What the difference? Isnt 1 mufflers and the other resonators. But which is which?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
What the difference? Isnt 1 mufflers and the other resonators. But which is which?
The loudmouth I's are a resignator, it's an empty shell......the loud mouth II's are an actual muffler.....both are the same shape, the II's are a little bigger in diameter.....the II's are quieter inside the car so you can actually hold a conversation
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #24

I have been thinking about going the loudmouth 1 route. I have read that it is not as loud if you have cats. Does anyone have a set up like that or has anyone heard lm1 with cats?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I had loud mouth I's with a catted X-pipe but unfortunately I don't have a sound clip.....but it was REALLY loud, you couldn't even hold a conversation in the car...thats why i changed over to loud mouth II's. I can try and get a sound clip of that for you but I need to find a camera that will record sound. For some reason my digital camera will do video with no sound haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT