Need a good mech! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Region: New York
Need a good mech!

Ok so here is the issue, I have a 2000 gt with a new engine (stock 4.6) drove it 10k miles the heater core took a s*it and dropped all the coolant and the car blew a head gasket and warped the heads. I have the heads heated and re stretched and shaved down. Put the engine back together and now I get a code p...something saying cylinder 2 is misfiring. It does sound like it skips just a bit on starts but driving it feels as normal as any day. I have replaced the spark plug. Swapped the coil packs, and replaced the spark wire. It has this tick which my father thinks is the timing chain guild. I was reading other forums saying these too could be connected. Just wanted a little insight before I go get the fuel injector cleaned.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Patrickandberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickandberry View Post
Ok so here is the issue, I have a 2000 gt with a new engine (stock 4.6) drove it 10k miles the heater core took a s*it and dropped all the coolant and the car blew a head gasket and warped the heads. I have the heads heated and re stretched and shaved down. Put the engine back together and now I get a code p...something saying cylinder 2 is misfiring. It does sound like it skips just a bit on starts but driving it feels as normal as any day. I have replaced the spark plug. Swapped the coil packs, and replaced the spark wire. It has this tick which my father thinks is the timing chain guild. I was reading other forums saying these too could be connected. Just wanted a little insight before I go get the fuel injector cleaned.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Wonder if when your car over heated you bent a rod , or messed up that cylinder ..

If there is a tick and you've cleaned out injector it's deff. Internal .. Sorry
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #3

I'm going to clean the injector tomorrow and hope it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Try switching injectors in 2 cylinders and see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. It could just be a bad injector.
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Can you hear the misfire noticeably at idle?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

No I can't hear a misfire at all. It seems to run very well.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you overheated enough to warp a head good chance your valve springs have weakend, or you may have broken or cracked one.
Semerollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #8

well guys I just pulled the injector out, sprayed seafoam in the ends of the injector, let it sit a few minutes, then took the air compressor sprayed them out, swapped it to the other side, put everything back together, and started the beast up. COULDNT HAVE SOUNDED BETTER!!, runs like a champ. i was scared because i thought I had done worse damage when it overheated. I just need to drive it around to see if the check engine light comes back on.

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #9

Well the damn car has its tick again. It seems to have a small hiccup or mis fire at start. After it starts it idles good still with a small tick. I have driven it about 60 miles with no check engine light. It only ticks at idle and when not accelerating. It does not spudder or jerk. It has blown my mind. After I cleaned the injector it seemed like everything was fixed. I have spent the last 2 hours googling this issue. It's 2:34 am and tomorrow I'm going to look for vaccum lines leaking and take a trip to auto zone for some seafoam. I think a valve may be sticking or lifter. Hope the seafoam treatment works.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickandberry View Post
Well the damn car has its tick again. It seems to have a small hiccup or mis fire at start. After it starts it idles good still with a small tick. I have driven it about 60 miles with no check engine light. It only ticks at idle and when not accelerating. It does not spudder or jerk. It has blown my mind. After I cleaned the injector it seemed like everything was fixed. I have spent the last 2 hours googling this issue. It's 2:34 am and tomorrow I'm going to look for vaccum lines leaking and take a trip to auto zone for some seafoam. I think a valve may be sticking or lifter. Hope the seafoam treatment works.
I say your head or cylinder is messed up

Only 1 way to find out

If anything just drive it til she blows if you can't afford to take it apart
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT