Caming my 4.6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Caming my 4.6

Okay what is it I would need to have in order to cam my 99 gt ?

Other then camshafts,lol.
joebyrne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If your doing it yourself (sounds like your plan), it can be done with basic hand tools. Your gonna have to remove the timing cover, and everything thats attached to it; as well as valve covers (duh). Id recommend a timing tool as well, but you can do it by hand. Its just nit as easy. I've replaced P.I. heads a few times with nothing special, but pick up a Haynes manual, and do your research on the subject. Its been done plenty of times, and I'm sure there are some nice folks that have some tips to make it easier. But be prepared to take your time on it. Its not a quick project.

I should add too, pending on how aggressive the cams are, you may need to use different springs. Which would require some special tools. What cams are you thinking of using?

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I had my 4.6 crammed with comp cam xe 274's. they were stage 2's essentially. You'll need new springs. You may also need new lifters because of the difference in lift, the may not be able to adjust. They seem to set in to a certain degree after a great deal of mileage. You will need new cam gears and all associated tools to degree them. Also, it's recommended that you have 3.73 gears or higher when swapping cams. They greatly increase the power you make at high revs, but you lose a bit of power at low revs, which makes it drive weird right off the bat. Your peak horsepower will now sit somewhere between 5400-6000 and you will redline at 7000-7200
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
If your doing it yourself (sounds like your plan), it can be done with basic hand tools. Your gonna have to remove the timing cover, and everything thats attached to it; as well as valve covers (duh). Id recommend a timing tool as well, but you can do it by hand. Its just nit as easy. I've replaced P.I. heads a few times with nothing special, but pick up a Haynes manual, and do your research on the subject. Its been done plenty of times, and I'm sure there are some nice folks that have some tips to make it easier. But be prepared to take your time on it. Its not a quick project.

I should add too, pending on how aggressive the cams are, you may need to use different springs. Which would require some special tools. What cams are you thinking of using?
Just want that aggresive sound !
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebyrne27 View Post

Just want that aggresive sound !
Hell yeah. It just sounds amazing. People would compliment me all the time. I'm fairly certain I was the only guy on Vancouver island with a cammed 4.6.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Slightly off topic and you might want to know also..how much $$$ would it be? If you go stage 2 or bigger? Doing it yourself? Any idea what a shop might charge?
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Slightly off topic and you might want to know also..how much $$$ would it be? If you go stage 2 or bigger? Doing it yourself? Any idea what a shop might charge?
Imo I'd have a reputable shop do it. It will be more expensive, but unless you know what your doing, the added piece of mind could save you money down the road from a bent valve or any other kind if internal damage. I'd say set aside 1000-1200 for the job. The money you would have to spend to get a degreeing tool for these 4.6, and parts would proabably cost you close to that amount anyways. Call some speed shops in your area and see what they can do.

And check with the manufacturer of the cams to see what they suggest for your set up. They will undoubtedly sell you what would be required to change in the heads pending on the cams specs.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What's a good stage cam,if all I'm lookin for is just the sound?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
5!!! I want to hear it!! Would probably need a bunch of engine work for that. That's all I would do it for is noise I would get 2 or 3 if they will work with stock internals. Not sure if I want to build the 2v yet.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
IMO I love the sound of the comp 270s. But there are plenty of others out there. Try looking at modular head shops cam as well as CMS stands for cushman motorsports. I personally have not used any of there products but many of the forums have great things to say about both. Also check hitech motorsports as well but to me they don't hit hard at all. Heads and cams is the plan for my car and I def know where ur comin from to want that sound.
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, this is a video of mine in 2009/2010. Don't laugh at my squeaky doors and v6 bumper. This car had bbk shorties, pypes off road x pipe, magnaflow catback.my heads were professionally ported and polished, received new springs, lifters and rockers as well as a set of comp cams xe274 stage 2 cams. It also had a whole bunch of other stuff from cai to short shift, but yeah. I loved the sound . Recently, I switched back to a catted h pipe and it still sounded great. You will love this mod. I miss having the shifter bouncing in my hand from the rough idle hehe. The car just always felt like it was ready to pounce . When you opened up the throttle it would just scream.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Sounds awesome dude.
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT