What cams do i need? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bmorgan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Lafayette
Region: Indiana
Posts: 33
What cams do i need?

I'm looking to put cams in and I've been looking at comp cams, but I don't know which ones to get. What stage do I need? I know I'll need new springs, but will I need new camshaft gears? I've heard they have been pressed on the stock camshaft? But I've also read that you don't need new gears. My upgrades right now are 70mm throttle body, cai, o/r h pipe, loud mouth, and bama tuner.
bmorgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
You will most likely need new cam gears no matter what. Now if you get stage 1 cams then you won't need new springs, you don't necessarily need them for stage 2 either but it's a good idea. Anything higher than stage 2 you will need springs. And sometime with above stage 2 (and sometimes with stage 2) you will have piston-valve clearance issues. So check before ordering if the cams are known to have PVC issues, if so then you will need piston work also.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
bmorgan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Lafayette
Region: Indiana
Posts: 33
What all is involved in camming? What is about the final cost of everything?
bmorgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
It really all depends on the route you want to go. Getting a nice set of comp cams, springs and gears will cost you 1-1.2k, that doesn't include if you need it installed at a shop, at that point you might as well double the number. You can pick up a nice set of regrind cams from Ortiz Performance for $450, and since they are regrinded stock cams you can re use the gears. The stage 2s also don't need springs as long as you keep it under 6k rpm (we redline before that anyway). And cam installs on 2v motors are not hard i've heard, i haven't personally done cams. But that is probably the route i'm going to go because i am mostly doing it for the sound.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhherndon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Richmond
Region: Virginia
Posts: 147
+1 to all that was said above. Also don't forget the cost of tuning since its a def after cams. From all I've read and seen cams make these cars run really well. Most people knock the 2v but wit the right mods you can have a sweet *** street warrior. Hell if a 4v was the only way to go fast we would all have cobras and that's just not the case lol
__________________
2004 Mustang GT
Sonic Blue Auto w/ Full Bolt On's
Quarter Mile - ?? Never Run
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhherndon View Post
+1 to all that was said above. Also don't forget the cost of tuning since its a def after cams. From all I've read and seen cams make these cars run really well. Most people knock the 2v but wit the right mods you can have a sweet *** street warrior. Hell if a 4v was the only way to go fast we would all have cobras and that's just not the case lol
4vs do have a lot more potential than 2vs though, but 2vs are just so cheap to mod compared to all the other modulars.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I wouldnt say cheap! :/ lol

Not as expensive as 3v or 4v mods though.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I wouldnt say cheap! :/ lol

Not as expensive as 3v or 4v mods though.
Oh i know it isn't "cheap" lol. I'm having a hard time deciding if i can afford a $20 license plate frame lol.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
KRONOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: California
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It really all depends on the route you want to go. Getting a nice set of comp cams, springs and gears will cost you 1-1.2k, that doesn't include if you need it installed at a shop, at that point you might as well double the number. You can pick up a nice set of regrind cams from Ortiz Performance for $450, and since they are regrinded stock cams you can re use the gears. The stage 2s also don't need springs as long as you keep it under 6k rpm (we redline before that anyway). And cam installs on 2v motors are not hard i've heard, i haven't personally done cams. But that is probably the route i'm going to go because i am mostly doing it for the sound.
Soooo ... All I need are cams , springs , and the gears ? I wouldn't need like the steel retainers ,connecting rod bolts ... N stuff like that right? I'm not to mechanic savvy ,lol, I mean I can do an exhaust but not to familiar with engine internals so all the help is much appreciated I have some stage 2 comp cams can any 1 help me out on what I need to get exactly?
KRONOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:12 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.