What cams do i need? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What cams do i need?

I'm looking to put cams in and I've been looking at comp cams, but I don't know which ones to get. What stage do I need? I know I'll need new springs, but will I need new camshaft gears? I've heard they have been pressed on the stock camshaft? But I've also read that you don't need new gears. My upgrades right now are 70mm throttle body, cai, o/r h pipe, loud mouth, and bama tuner.
bmorgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You will most likely need new cam gears no matter what. Now if you get stage 1 cams then you won't need new springs, you don't necessarily need them for stage 2 either but it's a good idea. Anything higher than stage 2 you will need springs. And sometime with above stage 2 (and sometimes with stage 2) you will have piston-valve clearance issues. So check before ordering if the cams are known to have PVC issues, if so then you will need piston work also.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What all is involved in camming? What is about the final cost of everything?
bmorgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It really all depends on the route you want to go. Getting a nice set of comp cams, springs and gears will cost you 1-1.2k, that doesn't include if you need it installed at a shop, at that point you might as well double the number. You can pick up a nice set of regrind cams from Ortiz Performance for $450, and since they are regrinded stock cams you can re use the gears. The stage 2s also don't need springs as long as you keep it under 6k rpm (we redline before that anyway). And cam installs on 2v motors are not hard i've heard, i haven't personally done cams. But that is probably the route i'm going to go because i am mostly doing it for the sound.

HID end all thread
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
+1 to all that was said above. Also don't forget the cost of tuning since its a def after cams. From all I've read and seen cams make these cars run really well. Most people knock the 2v but wit the right mods you can have a sweet *** street warrior. Hell if a 4v was the only way to go fast we would all have cobras and that's just not the case lol
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhherndon View Post
+1 to all that was said above. Also don't forget the cost of tuning since its a def after cams. From all I've read and seen cams make these cars run really well. Most people knock the 2v but wit the right mods you can have a sweet *** street warrior. Hell if a 4v was the only way to go fast we would all have cobras and that's just not the case lol
4vs do have a lot more potential than 2vs though, but 2vs are just so cheap to mod compared to all the other modulars.

HID end all thread
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I wouldnt say cheap! :/ lol

Not as expensive as 3v or 4v mods though.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I wouldnt say cheap! :/ lol

Not as expensive as 3v or 4v mods though.
Oh i know it isn't "cheap" lol. I'm having a hard time deciding if i can afford a $20 license plate frame lol.

HID end all thread
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It really all depends on the route you want to go. Getting a nice set of comp cams, springs and gears will cost you 1-1.2k, that doesn't include if you need it installed at a shop, at that point you might as well double the number. You can pick up a nice set of regrind cams from Ortiz Performance for $450, and since they are regrinded stock cams you can re use the gears. The stage 2s also don't need springs as long as you keep it under 6k rpm (we redline before that anyway). And cam installs on 2v motors are not hard i've heard, i haven't personally done cams. But that is probably the route i'm going to go because i am mostly doing it for the sound.
Soooo ... All I need are cams , springs , and the gears ? I wouldn't need like the steel retainers ,connecting rod bolts ... N stuff like that right? I'm not to mechanic savvy ,lol, I mean I can do an exhaust but not to familiar with engine internals so all the help is much appreciated I have some stage 2 comp cams can any 1 help me out on what I need to get exactly?
KRONOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT