Turboing my stang - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Take the stock blower off a out a whipple on then it should fit under a big *** cowl hood

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

*put
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Even then lol
Hahahaha da**
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
R there any other alternatives that don't stick out of the hood lol.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
R there any other alternatives that don't stick out of the hood lol.
Run a tall *** cowl hood. Idk if there's one that's big enough.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post

Run a tall *** cowl hood. Idk if there's one that's big enough.
No affiance to any one with tall todos but I think is looks incredibly stupid

Are there any other engines I can look into that won't stick out too much. The lightning engine is pretty interesting since its cheap but is there anything. Else to look into
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post

No affiance to any one with tall todos but I think is looks incredibly stupid

Are there any other engines I can look into that won't stick out too much. The lightning engine is pretty interesting since its cheap but is there anything. Else to look into
That's what happens when your big *** engine can't fit in your bay. Look into a coyote 5.0 swap it'll fit and it looks sick
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Bingo coyote swap. Have fun funding it.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post

No affiance to any one with tall todos but I think is looks incredibly stupid

Are there any other engines I can look into that won't stick out too much. The lightning engine is pretty interesting since its cheap but is there anything. Else to look into
Terminator swap. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Bingo coyote swap. Have fun funding it.
You can donit for pretty reasonable. Boss crate motor is onlyva kittle over 8k
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Both the terminator and boa are def to expensive for me. So can I just replace some internals and just supercharge my current engine with 128000miles on it or can my engine no longer handle it no matter what?
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
Lol.
This is precisely why I recommended the 10-14 GT as the easiest and least expensive route to 400 hp.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Lol.
This is precisely why I recommended the 10-14 GT as the easiest and least expensive route to 400 hp.
Wow it's really gonna cost that much. But can I get a sold answer on wether or not I could rebuild the engine ( If u know exactly what needs to be done that would e awesome) and then super or turbo charge the engine. And if so would it be more expensive then just doing an engine swap ( if so what would be cheap options) or even just buying another gt engine with decent mileage ( like 50-90k) then super or turbo charge that?
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Both the terminator and boa are def to expensive for me. So can I just replace some internals and just supercharge my current engine with 128000miles on it or can my engine no longer handle it no matter what?
Yes you can do that.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

Yes you can do that.
Thnx

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Ok so now I know I can't just replace the internals, would it just be cheaper to by a gt engine with 50-90k miles and supercharge that or will it still blow
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post

Thnx

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Ok so now I know I can't just replace the internals, would it just be cheaper to by a gt engine with 50-90k miles and supercharge that or will it still blow
Buying another GT engine could still potentially blow due to having the cast rods and pistons still. Your best bet is just forging your motor. One thing you could do is go ahead and buy the supercharger, throw it on your current motor, and then while you run that you could purchase another block and forge that one on the side.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=170710633869

What about something like this? It seams like this is cheaper then rebuilding then s/c my engine right? Is there a catch to this and what else would I need I'd I choose to do this?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

Buying another GT engine could still potentially blow due to having the cast rods and pistons still. Your best bet is just forging your motor. One thing you could do is go ahead and buy the supercharger, throw it on your current motor, and then while you run that you could purchase another block and forge that one on the side.
That's might be something I'd consider but how long would my engine last, I just want to know because I would have to be saving up the money in the mean time an if my engine goes in the mean time then I'm screwed lol
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Wow it's really gonna cost that much. But can I get a sold answer on wether or not I could rebuild the engine ( If u know exactly what needs to be done that would e awesome) and then super or turbo charge the engine. And if so would it be more expensive then just doing an engine swap ( if so what would be cheap options) or even just buying another gt engine with decent mileage ( like 50-90k) then super or turbo charge that?
Ok Janks. Since you're dead set on doing this, here's my solid answer:
I would buy another short block and an engine stand and build the short block while my original engine is still in the car.
Your going to need a complete forged rotating assembly of your choosing. (Look at Summit, Jegs, etc).
You're going to want the compression ratio to end up somewhere between about 8to 1 to about 9 to 1. Depending on the boost level that you want to run. Keep that in mind when you are choosing pistons.
You'll also need to find a good machine shop to do any machining that may be required on the short block
You've already had many recommendations on superchargers so we dont need to go there.

And above all... Hang out on this forum and READ!!! You will pick up a lot of good information in a very short time. There's a lot of collective years of experience here and this is an extremely valuable resource...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
It's gonna be expensive no matter what. I suggest a donor car and complete swap if you wanna make power. Your engine has too many miles. Unless you want to rebuild it completely then don't go FI
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Ok Janks. Since you're dead set on doing this, here's my solid answer:
I would buy another short block and an engine stand and build the short block while my original engine is still in the car.
Your going to need a complete forged rotating assembly of your choosing. (Look at Summit, Jegs, etc).
You're going to want the compression ratio to end up somewhere between about 8to 1 to about 9 to 1. Depending on the boost level that you want to run. Keep that in mind when you are choosing pistons.
You'll also need to find a good machine shop to do any machining that may be required on the short block
You've already had many recommendations on superchargers so we dont need to go there.

And above all... Hang out on this forum and READ!!! You will pick up a lot of good information in a very short time. There's a lot of collective years of experience here and this is an extremely valuable resource...
Thnx, I will be doing more reading.

What do u think about the cobra engine I posted
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=170710633869

What about something like this? It seams like this is cheaper then rebuilding then s/c my engine right? Is there a catch to this and what else would I need I'd I choose to do this?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------



That's might be something I'd consider but how long would my engine last, I just want to know because I would have to be saving up the money in the mean time an if my engine goes in the mean time then I'm screwed lol
That Motor is not gonna fit. You would need a new K member ignition system at least to make it fit.

How long your motor lasts depends on the maintenance it's had and the tune. If it's been well taken care of then I can last a long time.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Thnx, I will be doing more reading.

What do u think about the cobra engine I posted
Well, thats a pushrod engine.
I didn't think of that, but, that is probably the cheapest way to 400 hp.
The problem with that is, they are not a direct bolt in. You'd need a different transmission as well, I believe. And working out the emissions... can anyone say NIGHTMARE. lol.
One benefit is, you could probably get the hp that you want without supercharging.
If I was to go to all that trouble though, id probably do a Chevy LS swap...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Well, thats a pushrod engine.
I didn't think of that, but, that is probably the cheapest way to 400 hp.
The problem with that is, they are not a direct bolt in. You'd need a different transmission as well, I believe. And working out the emissions... can anyone say NIGHTMARE. lol.
One benefit is, you could probably get the hp that you want without supercharging.
If I was to go to all that trouble though, id probably do a Chevy LS swap...
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=271266262869

So when u mentioned an LS engine I looked into it and it looks cheap, will this work?
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
It would work and you could probably make hella power with it.
That is a wrecking yard engine though and a huge unknown. Id rather take my chances with a supercharger and your stock engine. Lol.
To do these non original engine swaps is a lot of work, as stated above.
Just stay with the modular engine.

There's no "super cheap" way to do this Janks...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It would work and you could probably make hella power with it.
That is a wrecking yard engine though and a huge unknown. Id rather take my chances with a supercharger and your stock engine. Lol.
To do these non original engine swaps is a lot of work, as stated above.
Just stay with the modular engine.

There's no "super cheap" way to do this Janks...
Thnx for the input. When I mean cheap I mean the cheapest way, what ever amount that may be.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Thnx for the input. When I mean cheap I mean the cheapest way, what ever amount that may be.
No problem.
And beware of the supercharger "salesman" that you may find on Craigslist and elsewhere, a lot of them are SCAMS...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Coyote short block. Cobra c heads. Enjoy the power lol. This is the rought id go. Just my 2¢

The short block is like the 4.6 just bored over and with forged internals. Or at least if i remember its the same platform so mounts shouldnt be an issue. As to wiring harness obviously needs replacing or modded to a 4 v setup and i say cobra c or b heads your choice to retain cable throttle rather than convert to fly by wire and ecu to support it. Ps. If im wrong on the coyote please correct me im thinking it was that or the aluminator block
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
^ Sweet Jesus!!!
I was actually considering that swap...
Lol ive seen a lightning swap in an 02 gt with the stock hood, no holes. Found a guy that hand makes an intake to make it work and put down some really impressive numbers
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coltonhess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elyria
Region: Ohio
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post

Lol ive seen a lightning swap in an 02 gt with the stock hood, no holes. Found a guy that hand makes an intake to make it work and put down some really impressive numbers
What kind of numbers? The lightning swap seems pretty cool
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
Roguestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,516
I'm trying to do that very swap. A friend of mine has a lightning and is looking to build a turbo motor for a ton of HP. So its a waiting game for when he decides to pull the original one out, and then I can swap it over. And i have a 6" cowl waiting to go on when its done. Imo either the termi or lightning swap would be the cheapest and easiest to do. Especially the termi swap. Its literallly a bolt in application and tune.

But I also second the idea to build a 4.6 on the side while you put a blower with mild boost on your car now, and hoon the **** out of It until it breaks or you finish your build! Lol
__________________
2000 Mustang GT-Former giggle gas addict
1990 Mustang GT w/ Vortech V3

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
Lol ive seen a lightning swap in an 02 gt with the stock hood, no holes. Found a guy that hand makes an intake to make it work and put down some really impressive numbers
I kinda figured there must be a way around that...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Coyote short block. Cobra c heads. Enjoy the power lol. This is the rought id go. Just my 2¢

The short block is like the 4.6 just bored over and with forged internals. Or at least if i remember its the same platform so mounts shouldnt be an issue. As to wiring harness obviously needs replacing or modded to a 4 v setup and i say cobra c or b heads your choice to retain cable throttle rather than convert to fly by wire and ecu to support it. Ps. If im wrong on the coyote please correct me im thinking it was that or the aluminator block
Anyone think of this yet.....everyone is trying lighting setup but fir that y not use a kenne belle. You could do the lighting setup however besides custom making intake for it to get the full potential u would need long tubes....and that on a 5.4 in a mustang would run 900 and up just for tri ys. Atleast on my idea its still a 4v setup which essentially is a coyote minus the vvt and fly by wire
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Roguestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,516
I think that would take a lot more work, and I don't even know if 4.6 4V heads would fit a coyote block. Granted the blocks are similar, and I undertsand the reason why you suggested Cobra heads, but you can get a whole swap kit that would intergrate the fly-by-wire into the OP's car. Plus the stock coyote GT internals were not forged, but they were in the Boss. What do the rest of you guys think?
__________________
2000 Mustang GT-Former giggle gas addict
1990 Mustang GT w/ Vortech V3

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Anyone think of this yet.....everyone is trying lighting setup but fir that y not use a kenne belle. You could do the lighting setup however besides custom making intake for it to get the full potential u would need long tubes....and that on a 5.4 in a mustang would run 900 and up just for tri ys. Atleast on my idea its still a 4v setup which essentially is a coyote minus the vvt and fly by wire
I don't know enough about them to offer an opinion. It is good thinking though.

When the Coyote's become less expensive and more , readily, available, it will be pure engine swapping bliss.
We can stroke our engines to 5.0. The real trick to the Coyotes is the top end. Thats where the big horsepower gains are.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #69
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,576
Just read this thread and still shaking my head.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just read this thread and still shaking my head.
Why?!??!!??
Were we a little "all over the board" on this one Scotty?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:12 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.