Turboing my stang - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #71
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,569
Among other things. OP that clearly is clueless is looking at about $3500-$4000 to do a S trim properly with the rest of the car upgraded to support it. But that is DIY and buying used where you can. Double that for a shop to do it with all new parts. Coyote swaps... Yeah...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Among other things. OP that clearly is clueless is looking at about $3500-$4000 to do a S trim properly with the rest of the car upgraded to support it. But that is DIY and buying used where you can. Double that for a shop to do it with all new parts. Coyote swaps... Yeah...
I don't understand? What does DIY. And I'm still new to car especially mustangs but I love it so much tho. I just want to make it faster that's all
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,393
DIY= Do it yourself.

You're good Janks.
We all started off knowing nothing... even Scotty.
Hell, the only reason I come on here is because lm learning something new all of the time.
Hang in there man... You're on the right track.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #74
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,569
The among other things is "its hard to get power out of a 2V" which is completely false, and all the ppl telling a clear newbie to look into a 5.0 swap. Yeah... A bolt on 2V will hit 400whp easy with a S trim and a good fuel system. And that's where it'll stay till you get a new shortblock unless you like destroying your stock rods.

As for the OP, he's good in the sense that at least he's asking questions before he sees $700 go up in smoke via a garbage ebay ssautochrome or whatever kit.

From what it sounds like, there is little/nothing done to the car as it stands so a supercharger/turbocharger is a long ways off. And you don't just do a power adder, there is the fuel system to worry about, suspension setup, chassis stiffening, driveline, wheels and tires etc...

Cheap/fast/reliable. You only get to pick two.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The among other things is "its hard to get power out of a 2V" which is completely false, and all the ppl telling a clear newbie to look into a 5.0 swap. Yeah... A bolt on 2V will hit 400whp easy with a S trim and a good fuel system. And that's where it'll stay till you get a new shortblock unless you like destroying your stock rods.

As for the OP, he's good in the sense that at least he's asking questions before he sees $700 go up in smoke via a garbage ebay ssautochrome or whatever kit.

From what it sounds like, there is little/nothing done to the car as it stands so a supercharger/turbocharger is a long ways off. And you don't just do a power adder, there is the fuel system to worry about, suspension setup, chassis stiffening, driveline, wheels and tires etc...

Cheap/fast/reliable. You only get to pick two.
If I do the s/c route I don't have to worry about suspension or wheels and tires because I know that wont hurt my car but what do u mean about chassis stiffening and driveline? Most supercharger kits come with the fuel line system that's required, but will my engine hold 400rwhp with 128k miles with everything stock because I'm getting mixed answers.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
It's not just slap a turbo and go
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
So then will I have to upgrade my internals like mentioned before?

And please correct me if I wrong but I don't have to upgrade the suspension first I can w8 to do that later right? And what about the chassis stiffening and the driveline?

The owner before me said they replaced the transmission not that long ago with one that was used with about 20k on it I believe.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
So then will I have to upgrade my internals like mentioned before?

And please correct me if I wrong but I don't have to upgrade the suspension first I can w8 to do that later right? And what about the chassis stiffening and the driveline?

The owner before me said they replaced the transmission not that long ago with one that was used with about 20k on it I believe.
Since turbo gives you high end power I would t worry too much about stiffening the chassis. I would upgrade the driveshaft though. Yes you'll have to upgrade internals but with the amount of miles I suggest you buy another engine an build it up the way you want it
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post

If I do the s/c route I don't have to worry about suspension or wheels and tires because I know that wont hurt my car but what do u mean about chassis stiffening and driveline? Most supercharger kits come with the fuel line system that's required, but will my engine hold 400rwhp with 128k miles with everything stock because I'm getting mixed answers.
He mentioned suspension because you might have the power but it's gonna be tough to get it to the ground on the stock suspension.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Since turbo gives you high end power I would t worry too much about stiffening the chassis. I would upgrade the driveshaft though. Yes you'll have to upgrade internals but with the amount of miles I suggest you buy another engine an build it up the way you want it
Ok but I think s/c will be cheaper so will I still need to stiffen my chassis? And no mentioned driveshaft before, can u explain what it is and why lol.

Should I just get the same engine and upgrade it or is it cheaper to just buy a better engine?
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #81
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
So then will I have to upgrade my internals like mentioned before?

And please correct me if I wrong but I don't have to upgrade the suspension first I can w8 to do that later right? And what about the chassis stiffening and the driveline?

The owner before me said they replaced the transmission not that long ago with one that was used with about 20k on it I believe.
You should have it all done before you add the supercharger or you'll have a car that can't hook up to save its life. Also any Mustang looks ridiculous with the stock 4x4 look.

As far as the internals, its not just throwing new rods/pistons into your motor its an entire new block or get your block honed/bored with all forged stuff, balanced/blueprinted and then all new top end to support the extra power. Looking at around $10k for a built motor.

With that said a stock motor will hold 400hp as long as the tune is good and you keep it below 6500rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Since turbo gives you high end power I would t worry too much about stiffening the chassis. I would upgrade the driveshaft though. Yes you'll have to upgrade internals but with the amount of miles I suggest you buy another engine an build it up the way you want it
A simple bolt on car should have the chassis shored up and a power adder car requires it. Also, a properly setup turbo will really start spooling before 3k RPM. As far as the miles, it could be an issue it might not. A compression and leakdown check will let him know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
He mentioned suspension because you might have the power but it's gonna be tough to get it to the ground on the stock suspension.
x1000.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

You should have it all done before you add the supercharger or you'll have a car that can't hook up to save its life. Also any Mustang looks ridiculous with the stock 4x4 look.

As far as the internals, its not just throwing new rods/pistons into your motor its an entire new block or get your block honed/bored with all forged stuff, balanced/blueprinted and then all new top end to support the extra power. Looking at around $10k for a built motor.

With that said a stock motor will hold 400hp as long as the tune is good and you keep it below 6500rpm.

A simple bolt on car should have the chassis shored up and a power adder car requires it. Also, a properly setup turbo will really start spooling before 3k RPM. As far as the miles, it could be an issue it might not. A compression and leakdown check will let him know.

x1000.
That was very helpful actually and I have someone that can have the engine compression tested and what not to see if my engine can handle it. So if it does then all I need is a proper s/c kit and tune and I should be fine right?

Btw I'm still young and don't make much on min. wage so I just want 400rwhp now but in the future when I make more money ill be doing everything that I need, like most likely a better engine swap.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,393
I think the bottom line, of what we've all been trying to say, is:
You could bolt a supercharger onto your engine as it is, with supporting mods ,of course, BUT, bear in mind, that you are bolting a ticking time bomb onto your engine that may go off tomorrow, or, may be a dud and your engine just wears out from normal causes.
Most of us are being conservative with the advice that we're giving you because we know how much it sucks watching the tow truck drop your car off in your driveway as you're thinking to yourself, "Hmmm... I wonder how I'm going to pay to fix this?" Or, "How am I going to get to work, school, etc. tomorrow?"

If you have "deep pockets" and something else to drive, Supercharge it and drive it like you stole it..

But, If you're like most of the rest of us "poor dicks" who have been living on a budget most of our lives, you'll need to be a bit more judicious in how and when the money gets spent.
This is a mod that can potentially take your car out of action for a while...

Just keep that in mind.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #84
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Btw I'm still young and don't make much on min. wage so I just want 400rwhp now but in the future when I make more money ill be doing everything that I need, like most likely a better engine swap.
Do yourself a favor and just drop the idea of any sort of serious automotive modding until you get a job that pays well. I'm not trying to be a downer here but you literally cannot do what you want to do on min wage. If you want to save up a few bucks and get a catback and learn how to install that yourself and do a short shifter or some suspension THAT is where you should be starting. I know you really want a big power car but you need to come to terms with reality and enjoy the fact that if your 2V is in good shape you've still got a fun car you can enjoy and make sound great and more fun to drive in the meantime without breaking the bank.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Do yourself a favor and just drop the idea of any sort of serious automotive modding until you get a job that pays well. I'm not trying to be a downer here but you literally cannot do what you want to do on min wage. If you want to save up a few bucks and get a catback and learn how to install that yourself and do a short shifter or some suspension THAT is where you should be starting. I know you really want a big power car but you need to come to terms with reality and enjoy the fact that if your 2V is in good shape you've still got a fun car you can enjoy and make sound great and more fun to drive in the meantime without breaking the bank.
This is how it would work, I would make a plan like after 2 or 3 years I would have the money and I don't think that that's bad.

But this is what I'm thinking right now. I would save up money until I could get a cheap used engine with low miles, then start saving up money for a s/c and put it on my current engine and w8 till that one blows. Then put the used one in and save the s/c and just save up for a bigger engine swap because by that time I should be a lot older lol with a better job hopefully. It might sound stupid a def. be a downgrade after the engine blows but it at least allows me to have fun sooner and I can still use the car after it blows since I still have the used engine
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
And this is my car I finally took some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3967901615.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	606.9 KB
ID:	128878   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2783620351.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	746.6 KB
ID:	128879  

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Looks good man
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
You should have the fun later rather than sooner. Just my 2ยข. Sometimes you just have to live and learn
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Good advice men. Just have fun with what you got. You are gonna run into other things to pay for. Women, food, rent you know that stuff. Just do little mods until you do have a well paying job then you add serious mods. Not sure what your current mods are but start with the basics. Exhaust, intake, gears, shifter, tune, and some cosmetic mods.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
And this is my car I finally took some pics
Very nice!!!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Good advice men. Just have fun with what you got. You are gonna run into other things to pay for. Women, food, rent you know that stuff. Just do little mods until you do have a well paying job then you add serious mods. Not sure what your current mods are but start with the basics. Exhaust, intake, gears, shifter, tune, and some cosmetic mods.
I a k&n cai and flow master exhaust from the previous owner and he had a tuner but he said he lost it so I think it's tuned.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 GT 5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SF
Region: California
Posts: 221
If you have atleast 10k to do everything the right go for it you wont regret it. Keep in mind that it's not just bolting on induced air, you have to bore, forge, bigger cams, bigger heads and headers and a lot more.
If your milage is too high, the s/c or t/c can and will do more damage than you can imagine.
Heres my recommendation,
Sell your car and buy a cobra or something else with a 4v engine, for a couple of reasons. 03-04 cobras are stock s/c and have all the goodies you need, 94-02 cobras have all the goodies ready with no s/c and it is much easier and safer to just bolt on a s/c with not AS many upgrades needed. Doing this would be much cheaper than doing the right stuff to your 2v.

Also if you want more horsepower than stock buy a quality cold air intake like bbk, airraid etc.. Get a bigger throttle body and bigger heads maybe better headers high flow catalytic converters and bigger pipes or you can go straight pipe if you aren't worried about emissions. That will give you plenty of added horsepower and is A LOT A LOT cheaper then going induced. With your minimum wage budget this is plenty more than you need. Good luck
94 GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Op since you talking about saving up for a cheap used low mile motor, just go the extra mile. Buy you some books, get a buddy that knows what he/she is doing, and take your time building your own forged short block. That way when you have enough coinage for a power adder the "how longs this going to last" isn't in your head.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 GT 5.0 View Post
If you have atleast 10k to do everything the right go for it you wont regret it. Keep in mind that it's not just bolting on induced air, you have to bore, forge, bigger cams, bigger heads and headers and a lot more.
If your milage is too high, the s/c or t/c can and will do more damage than you can imagine.
Heres my recommendation,
Sell your car and buy a cobra or something else with a 4v engine, for a couple of reasons. 03-04 cobras are stock s/c and have all the goodies you need, 94-02 cobras have all the goodies ready with no s/c and it is much easier and safer to just bolt on a s/c with not AS many upgrades needed. Doing this would be much cheaper than doing the right stuff to your 2v.

Also if you want more horsepower than stock buy a quality cold air intake like bbk, airraid etc.. Get a bigger throttle body and bigger heads maybe better headers high flow catalytic converters and bigger pipes or you can go straight pipe if you aren't worried about emissions. That will give you plenty of added horsepower and is A LOT A LOT cheaper then going induced. With your minimum wage budget this is plenty more than you need. Good luck
His heads are fine, unless something is wrong with them, for more power then hes asking for atm.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Yeah the heads are good. Everything is good until 400 horse. Then the rods are pushing their limits. Intake is good. Heads are. Cams are. For what he wants for now is good. The thing about building a shortblock now with Limited income is that it'll take a while to build. Long builds are not good you'll loose interest. If you want to build a motor you'll need money parts and time.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Yeah the heads are good. Everything is good until 400 horse. Then the rods are pushing their limits. Intake is good. Heads are. Cams are. For what he wants for now is good. The thing about building a shortblock now with Limited income is that it'll take a while to build. Long builds are not good you'll loose interest. If you want to build a motor you'll need money parts and time.
I forget most people aren't like me lol. If i start something i will finish it and won't start anything else until that particular thing is perfect to me and completed. But he did say hes going to save up for a few years soooo.....
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #97
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,569
Nope, good money is it never gets off the ground. Been there, done that on a very limited budget and I was making more than min wage.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 GT 5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SF
Region: California
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post

His heads are fine, unless something is wrong with them, for more power then hes asking for atm.
Ah you're right i was thinking about 94-98 era gt's i just saw he has an 02.
Still would definitely go for some BBK headers and exhaust, x pipes to be exact.
94 GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ringwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Ight thnx guys I really appreciate the help. Clearly i have more to learn and should just keep reading. I thought it over a lot and I have decided to just hold off on the big stuff and just upgrade the body and everything else expect the motor because I still going to do an engine swap but that would be in the much later future
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:03 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.